Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you think of Today's Schedule?

cigarjoe

I think this is the kind of schedule fans of the old AMC (and the old TCM) will enjoy. It shows that TCM, when it wants to, can obtain classic golden age films from outside its library (the Kettle films are Universal product, and the Five Peppers films are from Columbia/Sony).

220px-MandPaKettlefilm.jpg

I think this is the kind of schedule fans of the old AMC (and the old TCM) will enjoy. It shows that TCM, when it wants to, can obtain classic golden age films from outside its library (the Kettle films are Universal product, and the Five Peppers films are from Columbia/Sony).

220px-MandPaKettlefilm.jpg

That's understandable, Maybe two in a row but all prime time long is too much Ma & Pa. Now Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Brothers or Abbott & Costello I could see.  ;)

That's understandable, Maybe two in a row but all prime time long is too much Ma & Pa. Now Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Brothers or Abbott & Costello I could see.  ;)

It's all a matter of taste. I'm very happy to see four Ma and Pa Kettle films on the schedule. These are some of the

Universal films rarely shown on TCM (only once before to my knowledge many years ago).

As much as I like L & H, The Marx Bros and A & C they are all on TCM on a semi regular basis (well at least every

now and then). Ma and Pa Kettle movies are a welcome change.

It's too bad that TCM couldn't get "The Egg and I"  to show beforehand. This was the movie that introduced Ma and Pa Kettle.

• Like 1

Although I consider myself a huge fan of Marjorie Main, a little of Ma & Pa Kettle goes a long way. However, I really enjoyed the Five Little Peppers movies when they were shown a few years ago on Saturday mornings. As far as the daytime schedule goes, there's a few good ones on today. I guess today's theme is sisters in film.

Missed "Keeping Company"

The Flirting Widow--Rarely shown Basil Rathbone, not great, but not as bad as Maltin says.

The Sisters--Soap Opera with 1906 San Francisco earthquake & Bette Davis & Errol Flynn as best points.

Four Daughters--haven't seen it.

Pride & Prejudice--excellent MGM adaptation--a fun watch.

Seven Sweethearts--Musical is Sticky Sweet.

Fiddler On The Roof--Long, but an excellent score.

Tonight--after First Ma &Pa Kettle movie, Big drop-off in film quality, IMHO.

Am unfamiliar with "Peppers" series.

Missed "Keeping Company"

The Flirting Widow--Rarely shown Basil Rathbone, not great, but not as bad as Maltin says. 

GinnyFan stopped by my classic child star thread, so I felt obligated to watch KEEPING COMPANY this morning...since it features Virginia Weidler. It had been awhile, and it's fun to watch. Time well spent!

THE FLIRTING WIDOW is now available for streaming on the Warner Archive Instant website.

Agreed. If they have this many Ma & Pa Kettles, why not show them once a week on a Saturday or a Sunday? I was surprised to see them in the schedule playing in marathon style.

As far as today's programming, I only stuck around for Four Daughters. It's pretty sappy, but I like the actors in it.

• Like 2

Agreed. If they have this many Ma & Pa Kettles, why not show them once a week on a Saturday or a Sunday? I was surprised to see them in the schedule playing in marathon style.As far as today's programming, I only stuck around for Four Daughters. It's pretty sappy, but I like the actors in it.

FOUR DAUGHTERS is sappy, but it stuck with me for some reason. When I recently compiled my top ten for each year, it made it on the list for 1938.

Well, I'm having a great morning watching  The Sisters after The Flirting Widow. Ma and Pa aren't my cup of tea either but any day I find two movies to my taste is a good day for me.

Same here.    Big fan of The Sisters but I love most Davis films and Flynn also gives a sound performance.    Not a fan of Ma and Pa films but as others have noted it is good that TCM was able to obtain these films for those that like this serial. 

• Like 2

The afternoon got even better with Pride and Prejudice which I have seen many times but still like and  Seven Sweethearts which I had never seen and really enjoyed.  Yes, Film Lover, it is sticky sweet, but I liked seeing all those actresses who we don't usually get to see very often. I've always liked Marsha Hunt and It was the first time I had heard Kathryn Grayson sing.  She made my hair stand on end! 

• Like 1

AndreaDoria--Films that have Kathryn Grayson that are scheduled later in Dec.: get ready to record them, TCM scheduled all  the Dec. 16th films after midnight:  if you have to stay up to catch them Anchors Aweigh is the best of the three, IMHO.

Anchors Aweigh (1945)--scheduled for Dec. 16th., 12:45 a.m.

It Happened in Brooklyn (1947)--scheduled for Dec.16th.

The Kissing Bandit (1948)--scheduled for Dec. 16th  

That's Entertainment III (1994) scheduled for noon, Dec. 19th--she does two(?) numbers in this documentary series entry of MGM's greatest musical numbers.

Enjoy the films :)

• Like 1

Today has got a watchable day time lineup, it goes South in the evening with the Musicals, espcially since Can-Can was just recently in rotation on Movies! or Get TV. The others I've seen also.  I'm not a fan of Musicals in general.

Although I consider myself a huge fan of Marjorie Main, a little of Ma & Pa Kettle goes a long way. However, I really enjoyed the Five Little Peppers movies when they were shown a few years ago on Saturday mornings. As far as the daytime schedule goes, there's a few good ones on today. I guess today's theme is sisters in film.

I don't know why exactly but I love the Five Little Peppers.

Westerns I can do all day, but I have to cut some firewood later on, but here again I'm sure there are some folks who won't like it. 

So blocks on just one Genre all day long are a bit excessive.

Prime time isn't bad today either.

Westerns I can do all day, but I have to cut some firewood later on, but here again I'm sure there are some folks who won't like it. 

So blocks on just one Genre all day long are a bit excessive.

Prime time isn't bad today either.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the 8 o'clock "Fifth Avenue," one.  I'm not a western fan but I don't begrudge the genre.  My father loved them and sometimes watched them all day during his final years.  He would say he was watching, "the water rights."

• Like 1