Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Enough already with the wine club plugs and bring back one reel wonders.

TCM has apparently seen this thread--they just showed a Three minute Wine Club spot between films ---I timed it (was between "Guys and Dolls" (1955) & "Pal Joey" (1957)).

Better than 7:00 but still 2:30 to 3:00 too long :)

• Like 2

i just don't get the "wine club" thing on all sorts of levels, but not the least of which is the fact that I do not drink. at all. never really have.

and it's not any sort of religious conviction or health issue or past issues with substance abuse that leads me to this: it is the fact that I have a weak stomach and heightened sense of taste and as such, alcohol tastes awful to me.

i can't with liquor, i despise beer and my taste in wine runs from "Oh God, I just can't" to "if you insist on me drinking, then pass the *** **** Splenda and I can maybe make this work"

...so i don't get it...and maybe feel a little left out, as well a as sense of solidarity with people who don't drink for their own personal reasons and don't see why- on all sorts of fronts- TCM did this wine club thing.

it just...no.

just no.

ps- would def be on board with TCM Cannabis Club.

Weak stomach? How about sensibilities?

I used to enjoy horror movies, but now I find their present day violence very hard to take. Even the crime shows I regularly watch are often a trial because I identify too much with the victims, and the villains are frequently pitiable creatures.

A poster at IMDb told me that, if I'm so sensitive, then I should avoid crime and horror shows entirely. Maybe I should, but what would I watch instead? It's hard to find really interesting dramas, and most comedies are either too silly or too vulgar.

Weak stomach? How about sensibilities?

I used to enjoy horror movies, but now I find their present day violence very hard to take. Even the crime shows I regularly watch are often a trial because I identify too much with the victims, and the villains are frequently pitiable creatures.

A poster at IMDb told me that, if I'm so sensitive, then I should avoid crime and horror shows entirely. Maybe I should, but what would I watch instead? It's hard to find really interesting dramas, and most comedies are either too silly or too vulgar.

Well, you speak Spanish doncha, Palmerin?

Well then, MY suggestion would be watch some of those things I think they call "telenovelas". YOU know, the ones with all those really HOT Latin babes on 'em?!

Heck dude, I ONLY know about a couple o' dozen words in Spanish, and even I'LL stop and watch those beauties on those things for a few minutes if I happen to land on one while I'm channel surfin'!

7544344516_a158fa4265.jpg

And, I have to admit even most all of the DUDES on 'em are kind'a hot lookin' TOO, if ya might be more into that sort'a thing instead!

(...HEY, this at least sounds like it'd be a great standby/fallback measure for ya if ya don't ever find anything ELSE to watch, wouldn't ya say?!)

;)

This thread kind of gave me an idea.  There are some movies that only exist in fragments.  One reel here, half a reel there.  That might be an interesting thing to fit into those slots every now and then, with a mini-introduction of course.  That would be as good or better than those one hour or longer shows that start off by promising to showcase film restoration, and then soon after drift off into a whole other set of topics to fill out the rest of the show.

• Like 2

lets see john nesbitt's passing parade shorts too. I wanna see 'our old car'.

I love the John Nesbitt's features as well as the Fitzpatrick travelogs (before the advent of Burger King, interstates and other horrors of the present traveling conditions.  I also like the Robert Benchly features as well as John Doaks.  The Wine Club is a ridiculous idea and those responsible should be locked in a room and forced to watch it for 24 hours or more until they start to see the stupidity of the concept.  Also all those adds for DVDs etc.  under the guise of News of the Month...mostly adverts of the month.  And don't get me started on the movie auction....ugh.

• Like 2

Since TCM started ending movies with "WATCH TCM" messages and stopped audibly introducing their upcoming three features (initially thought something was wrong with my reception)  I've been watching much, much less TCM... :wacko: 

Opting for classics not seen on TCM such as those on FXM (Channel 258 DTV) in standard definition with NO COMMERCIALS, Netflix along with free HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. weekends.  :P 

On another note, since installing an ad-blocker application on my televisions local news broadcasts from the major networks have completely disappeared…their void has aptly been replaced by commercial free nightly business reports airing on PBS.  ;) 

Those willfully paying entertainment providers to be inundated with commercials, shills, pop-ups, advertisements and sponsored content are gullible fools.  :blink: 

• Like 1

Those willfully paying entertainment providers to be inundated with commercials, shills, pop-ups, advertisements and sponsored content are gullible fools.  :blink: 

Exactly. I've never understood the concept of cable with commercials. It's pay-TV. Why pay to watch commercials. It's the greatest injustice ever perpetuated on the modern consumer. And the fact that people willingly go along with it. This is why I no longer have cable, why I have Amazon Prime and Hulu without commercials. And why I use Sling for TCM, but go back to the main menu the minute the movie is over and the wine ads start. 

I just saw the Wine Club segment for the first time. I don't get it -- is it meant to drum up business for Coppola and make a few bucks for TCM? I was not impressed by the  one time I went to one of his restaurants in New York.

I just saw the Wine Club segment for the first time. I don't get it -- is it meant to drum up business for Coppola and make a few bucks for TCM? 

Yes, that's pretty much it. They're buttering up to Coppola-- probably in the hopes of getting to air the GODFATHER movies someday. 

If i had to watch Mankiewicz give away the ending to CITIZEN KANE one more time....

PS- I don't think they gave Herman that sled any more than he wrote the screenplay all by himself. He stole that ****.

Regardless of how Herman acquired the sled...even its hint at authenticity would prevent me from selling it.  I would find a way to use it as a coffee table or some other unique piece of furniture.   What suprised me is that in talking about the sled Ben didn't mention that this is also the centinary of Orsen's  birth (did we have a TCM tribute?) and there was an interesting article about his life in the current New Yorker. 

Personally I have never really cared who wrote the film, it seems immaterial to the fact that I find it highly enjoyable. 

Noted yesterday they had several one reel wonders, Joe Doakes, Fitzpatrick Travelougues and a silly film on one man projectiles.   I love the one reels and especially the Joe Doakes and Fitzpatrick series....and rather partial to the Robert Benchley series.   Highly more entertaining than the Wine Club.

• Like 2

I'll agree that the wine club segments are obnoxious and totally irrelevant to me.

However, TCM has to make a buck and they have probably already made the big sales from their DVD store.

We need to remember that we do not pay for TCM as it is included in one of the provider's tier levels. You pay for the tier, but there are lots of other networks included as well and TCM is usually an add on.

Incidentally, FXM does have commercial free movies, from 3:00AM till 3:00PM ET right now, but will that end eventually?  You also have to pay for that tier as well.

As for the other classic TV stations, it is 10 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercial, repeat ad infinitum.  And the commercials are really, really obnoxious. Most of these are only available if you purchase a tier level also.  Although, many are available over air if you have an antenna.

Two greatest inventions since the TV itself are the remote Mute and channel changer.

• Like 1

I admit that the wine promotions come across as if the channel is trying to appeal to a hoity toity pretentious crowd (not that all wine drinkers fall into that definition, of course). Where are their blurbs with Ben slinging back a good brewsky with a husband and wife wearing "Go Team Go" sweaters as they extoll the virtues of action films? You could even have the wife slur to Ben that he's "kinda cute" as the husband gives them a double take and starts mumbling into his beer glass.

Just kidding.

On the other hand, if these wine commercials, designed to appeal to the "classy," bring in some kind of money to a channel that still has no ads during the films themselves, what the heck.

In other words, no biggie.

• Like 2

Replying to MovieCollectorOH's post of Dec. 4th, 12:08 a.m.--By all means, go ahead with your idea.  TCM has already done something like this; they showed the existing ten(?) minutes of footage of Garbo's "The Mysterious Lady" (1928) as a "between movies" filler this past summer, & TCM has shown an hour long compilation  program of bits and pieces of lost films--have forgotten the name, but was released in 2011 (I Think).  I agree with EmilyDean--more Robert Benchley, please.

• Like 1

i just don't get the "wine club" thing on all sorts of levels, but not the least of which is the fact that I do not drink. at all. never really have.

and it's not any sort of religious conviction or health issue or past issues with substance abuse that leads me to this: it is the fact that I have a weak stomach and heightened sense of taste and as such, alcohol tastes awful to me.

i can't with liquor, i despise beer and my taste in wine runs from "Oh God, I just can't" to "if you insist on me drinking, then pass the *** **** Splenda and I can maybe make this work"

...so i don't get it...and maybe feel a little left out, as well a as sense of solidarity with people who don't drink for their own personal reasons and don't see why- on all sorts of fronts- TCM did this wine club thing.

it just...no.

just no.

ps- would def be on board with TCM Cannabis Club.

Somehow I completely missed this post, must have something to do with reading the posts backwards and everything.  Anyhow I am really more of a coffee and craft beer type of guy.  I generally don't drink wines.  See I think the problem here is that it is difficult enough to get people to agree on what movies to show, whether or not TCM is abandoning classic films under our noses, and whether this website should display forwards or backwards.  Don't introduce yet another element of contention.  Until the other ones get resolved, or peaceably worked out.  /sarc

P.S. See my signature where I beat Snopes to the punch on one of these issues.

Replying to MovieCollectorOH's post of Dec. 4th, 12:08 a.m.--By all means, go ahead with your idea.  TCM has already done something like this; they showed the existing ten(?) minutes of footage of Garbo's "The Mysterious Lady" (1928) as a "between movies" filler this past summer, & TCM has shown an hour long compilation  program of bits and pieces of lost films--have forgotten the name, but was released in 2011 (I Think).  I agree with EmilyDean--more Robert Benchley, please.

One feature TCM had was called "Fragments".  I actually only saw bits and pieces of that one, but intend to finish it.  The feature I was complaining about I didn't see on TCM.  I think I saw it on MGMHD or SONYHD.  It was titled with, and started with the promise of showing film restoration.  It was a 1 or 1.5  hour special.  At the very beginning, they showed the director of one of the major film restoration houses.  They showed him going into the vaults, pulling open old cases of films, and showing what badly aged film typically looked like.  They even have one vault that is sort of like an X-files room, where his workers put segments of films that they have no idea where they belong. Figuring that out is sort of one of his pet projects.  Then they interviewed one of his assistants, who started there as a volunteer.  I thought those parts were GREAT.  I was hoping to see more, as in maybe see some of the machinery they use, a typical workflow in the restoration process.  Instead, after about 20 minutes the restoration story ran out of steam and they filled the rest of the show with a completely different agenda.  The rest of it was barely even related to restoration.

Anyhow, yes.  Make some shorts for the movies that are mostly "lost", and show them as interstitials or whatever they call them.  That is what I was thinking of.

• Like 2

I wouldn't care if TCM never showed another Pete Smith short again (which they did last night). Interesting footage undercut by snarky commentary that always reduces the wonders of the world to the most trivial of suburban banalities. Probably nothing I have ever hated more on TCM. Byeeee!!!! I would rather see the Wine Club promos any night of the week than another of those bores.

I frequently drink wine while watching TCM movies, though I suspect much cheaper wine than TCM would try to sell me. If I was a millionaire, I must admit, I would probably go on the TCM cruise, attend the TCM film festival, join the TCM wine club, take the TCM bus tours, etc., Since I'm not, I just watch the movies.

Advertising is everywhere. It's on PBS. It's on YouTube. It's on the screen of my ATM machine. It's on virtually every website you get on. There seems to be a particularly intense hatred on this board that it should exist in any form on TCM. Personally, I'm delighted the movies still air uninterrupted. If there's a little downtime between movies, I just change the channel, turn off my TV until the next movie is scheduled to air, go to the bathroom, putter around my kitchen, etc. I think the onus is on us to be a little creative in avoiding the advertising rather than yelling at TCM to stop doing it, because you're living in fairy tale, la la la cuckoo cloud land if you think they will.

• Like 3

I'm rather amused by the whole thing. It does appear that TCM is trying to appeal more and more to plutocrat millennials (Is there such a person other than Mark Zuckerberg??).  The TCM film festivals and cruises are probably doable for some in the upper middle class, and at least have an actual movie connection. However, it is almost funny seeing Ben and company trying to force some kind of tenuous connection between TCM movies and wine. And then there is the salute to the Francis Ford Coppola winery. Did dear old Frank turn to drink when he realized his daughter Sofia simply could not act?? I wonder.

• Like 2

I wouldn't care if TCM never showed another Pete Smith short again (which they did last night). Interesting footage undercut by snarky commentary that always reduces the wonders of the world to the most trivial of suburban banalities. Probably nothing I have ever hated more on TCM.

We are as simpatico as simpatico can be on this.

I really do hate Pete Smith, although Dave O'Brien is often funny in some of the domestic themed shorts if you put everything else on mute.

...and there's one that actually has some helpful cooking tips if you ignore his patronizing commentary.

I'm rather amused by the whole thing. It does appear that TCM is trying to appeal more and more to plutocrat millennials 

I think it is significant that Osborne is not doing these promos. They are using Ben to appeal to the younger viewers. 

Next, we will have Ben doing commercials for TCM time-share condos...and they will also have him test-driving a Mercedes at some dealership in Beverly Hills that is TCM friendly. 

• Like 1

Did dear old Frank turn to drink when he realized his daughter Sofia simply could not act?? I wonder.

The other unanswered question is....will both Joe and Hermann not only turn to drink but turn in their graves at seeing Ben becoming a Huckster.   What a sad turn of events for the Mankiewicz family.   I don't imagine any of the family objected to wine however to see the family sink so low is most likely a nadir in their family history.

• Like 1

Somehow I completely missed this post, must have something to do with reading the posts backwards and everything.  Anyhow I am really more of a coffee and craft beer type of guy.  I generally don't drink wines.  See I think the problem here is that it is difficult enough to get people to agree on what movies to show, whether or not TCM is abandoning classic films under our noses, and whether this website should display forwards or backwards.  Don't introduce yet another element of contention.  Until the other ones get resolved, or peaceably worked out.  /sarc

P.S. See my signature where I beat Snopes to the punch on one of these issues.

If a particular wine goes with NORTH BY NORTHWEST, you're going to get tired of that wine very quickly.

• Like 3