Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Enough already with the wine club plugs and bring back one reel wonders.

What suprised me is that in talking about the sled Ben didn't mention that this is also the centinary of Orsen's  birth (did we have a TCM tribute?) and there was an interesting article about his life in the current New Yorker.

He was the subject of the monthly Spotlight back in May (I think; it was whichever month was the centenary of his birth).

I heard a BBC documentary on Henry Jaglom's interviews with Orson Welles, and Welles' comments on Hitchcock confirmed my view that Welles was incredibly full of himself and overcooked his movies.  I've commented before on my extreme dislike of F for Fake, but Mr. Arkadin is another steaming mess.

But Welles went against the studio bosses, and there seem to be people who will praise anything Welles made simply because he went against the studio heads.

• Like 2

He was the subject of the monthly Spotlight back in May (I think; it was whichever month was the centenary of his birth).

I heard a BBC documentary on Henry Jaglom's interviews with Orson Welles, and Welles' comments on Hitchcock confirmed my view that Welles was incredibly full of himself and overcooked his movies.  

In the Dick Cavett interview with Hitchcock that TCM airs occasionally, Cavett asked Hitch his impression of Orson Welles. Hitch paused for a second, then said very dryly: "Well, he made one good film." Meaning KANE.

And yes, it was in May 2015 when Welles was the subject of TCM's monthly spotlight. 

This promo has become so annoying as to be painful. Who cares that Francis Ford Coppola had an Uncle Mikey?!

Personally, I think the silliest part is where the one guy tells Ben that he decides which flavors work for certain films when making (or is it making believe?) new wines. And he says it with a straight face. It's a Twilight Zone moment for sure. 

• Like 1

This promo has become so annoying as to be painful. Who cares that Francis Ford Coppola had an Uncle Mikey?!

it makes me cringe when the wine expert forces poor Ben to smell the wine, after comparing the sensation to smelling bad milk

:lol:

I do recommend a visit to the Francis Ford Coppola winery.   One can sit out and have lunch and there is a great view of the valley.  For those that can't make it to France this is the next best thing  (as is the entire Napa and Sonoma region).  

But I didn't run into Uncle Mikey, and that is a good thing! 

I do recommend a visit to the Francis Ford Coppola winery.   One can sit out and have lunch and there is a great view of the valley.  For those that can't make it to France this is the next best thing  (as is the entire Napa and Sonoma region).  

But I didn't run into Uncle Mikey, and that is a good thing! 

I can sit down and have lunch anywhere.

so like I was sayin'...

vino is more important to tcm than the rare and unseen like hot spell and the uk version of william cameron menzies' invaders from mars...with added scenes shot with arthur franz, helena carter and jimmy hunt for it's uk release.

as these great self-professed devotees of cinema, that's what tcm oughta be concerned with and not vino for their hoy-faloy classic cruise passengers.

slackers! :D

I honestly don't think he was trying to be humorous. I think he was showing us he's not phased about the winery stuff.

Right, Fraz..?

My comment really had little to do with 'the winery stuff' but with the location and the views.   Rolling green hills,  nice views of the mountains in the distance,   creeks running,  etc....      If one loves nature there are great places to hike in the area where one can get to great views.    One doesn't even have to like wine or try wine at a winery to enjoy the wonderful surroundings.    Just like one doesn't have to know how to swim to enjoy Hawaii.  

• Like 1

My comment really had little to do with 'the winery stuff' but with the location and the views.   Rolling green hills,  nice views of the mountains in the distance,   creeks running,  etc....      If one loves nature there are great places to hike in the area where one can get to great views.    One doesn't even have to like wine or try wine at a winery to enjoy the wonderful surroundings.    Just like one doesn't have to know how to swim to enjoy Hawaii.  

I see what you are saying.

But if Coppola owned a stretch of beach in Waikiki, my guess is Fraz would still not care. And he would not be interested in TCM hawking bottles of Coppola's Hawaiian pineapple juice. 

I see what you are saying.

But if Coppola owned a stretch of beach in Waikiki, my guess is Fraz would still not care. And he would not be interested in TCM hawking bottles of Coppola's Hawaiian pineapple juice. 

I will admit to a sentimental attraction to the Coppola winey.    My wife and I went there the first month or so it opened.   The wine tasting was free (it is now around $20) and they let us taste a lot of the wine and tour the place.    So it was a very romantic experience.    We had one of those portable foldout benches for two and walked to a hillside and had our lunch. 

So when we were watching TCM and that wine promo was on and I asked if she remembered the place.  She just gave me a wink.        So yea, even if that place served pineapple juice we will always have that memory. 

• Like 1

I will admit to a sentimental attraction to the Coppola winey.    My wife and I went there the first month or so it opened.   The wine tasting was free (it is now around $20) and they let us taste a lot of the wine and tour the place.    So it was a very romantic experience.    We had one of those portable foldout benches for two and walked to a hillside and had our lunch. 

So when we were watching TCM and that wine promo was on and I asked if she remembered the place.  She just gave me a wink.        So yea, even if that place served pineapple juice we will always have that memory. 

does the tcm classic cruise onboard cuisine include squash? :)

does the tcm classic cruise onboard cuisine include squash? :)

I don't know.   I would never go on a cruise.  I love nature and to be on a ship for so long sounds very boring.

Yea, they stop at some nice places but once I got off that ship I would never get back on!

Nice story.

You'll always have Paris, I mean Napa. :)

the kind that eddie haskell prefered to june cleaver's roast beef. :D

images-2.jpg

LOL...my grandfather used to grow spaghetti squash and lots of eggplant. We ate it till we got sick of it every summer. 

Of course, I knew you meant the other kind of squash (below):

images-1.jpg

No humor. Just a comment about the omnipresence of lunch venues.

Well we sure do view this differently.   e.g. when I was in Italy some of the best views were from seaside restaurants facing the water.   Watching small boats come in and out,  the seabirds,   the green\blue waters etc...     (oh and in France the topless girls).

I would rather eat at a place with such views then 4 walls.      I didn't know you were so unromantic.