Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Enough already with the wine club plugs and bring back one reel wonders.

Well we sure do view this differently.   e.g. when I was in Italy some of the best views were from seaside restaurants facing the water.   Watching small boats come in and out,  the seabirds,   the green\blue waters etc...     (oh and in France the topless girls).

I would rather eat at a place with such views then 4 walls.      I didn't know you were so unromantic.

A great view COULD take your attention away from lousy food.

Well we sure do view this differently.   e.g. when I was in Italy some of the best views were from seaside restaurants facing the water.   Watching small boats come in and out,  the seabirds,   the green\blue waters etc...     (oh and in France the topless girls).

I would rather eat at a place with such views then 4 walls.      I didn't know you were so unromantic.

Maybe he's waiting for someone to sweep him off his feet. 

seems other viewers have had enough of the wine promos also.

Neg posts are adding up on TCM's FB page

Doesn't surprise me as they are over-doing it. Why couldn't they gradually phase the wine selling in to what they already do...instead, they made such an aggressive campaign out of it that it's creating an enormous backlash. 

How long will it be until we get a new spot for the TCM Now Playing Guide that announces that from now on the magazine will feature the exact times for each day's six airings of the Wine Club promo? There will also be a feature page on the wine of the month written by Coppola's nephew Zoe Trope.

In addition, I expect a new, revised promo TCM Wine Club Redux that will feature extra footage. See what actually happened the first time that Ben smelled the wine and find out just why they didn't just reshoot the bit with "20th Century... um, er and 21st Century director."

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I just could not believe it, but as another Wine Club promo began I yearned for the much seen and much maligned " letterbox" feature on screening wide screen movies for television.  That is when I realized I couldn't take the Wine Club much longer, especially with the chutzpah of including it in "News" segment for December. 

Bring on the letterbox please and spare me the wine club. 

• Like 2

I just could not believe it, but as another Wine Club promo began I yearned for the much seen and much maligned " letterbox" feature on screening wide screen movies for television.  That is when I realized I couldn't take the Wine Club much longer, especially with the chutzpah of including it in "News" segment for December. 

Bring on the letterbox please and spare me the wine club. 

Desperate times, huh Emily? LOL The great thing about having TCM on Sling, is that when the wine promo starts, I can click back to the main menu, or go to the on-demand menu for a few minutes until it's over. :)

I don't know if the following was ever posted on the first "enough with this wine club" thread, but if not, you folks just HAVE to see this old James Mason for Thunderbird wine commercial that's been given kind of a MST3K treatment by some guy here...

• Like 3

I don't know if the following was ever posted on the first "enough with this wine club" thread, but if not, you folks just HAVE to see this old James Mason for Thunderbird wine commercial that's been given kind of a MST3K treatment by some guy here...

I think it would be a good idea therefore to morph Orson and James into Wine Club commercials...now that would be a useful idea and we would have a true "classic" wine club

• Like 1

I read over thirty complaints about the wine commercials on Facebook yesterday...and that was a brief glance. One comment, in favor of ending the wine ads, had 87 likes with an hour after its posting. I think the frequency with which the ads are airing is what's setting people on edge. If this was done more discretely, not bombarding viewers, there probably would have been less people upset.

Why would TCM continue a practice that is clearly becoming a P.R. nightmare...?

• Like 1

I keep wondering, "Does anyone have any idea if people are signing up for this TCM "revenue-enhancer?"  I mean in numbers that would make our winter of discontent all worthwhile? 

I agree that the ads running during almost every free segment are most bothersome.  And I particularly am saddened that we no longer get all those marvelous time-capsule little films that used to inhabit the times between features.   I always thought of those delicious links to the past as sprinkles on the doughnut.

Also, I have noticed a few other organizations have picked up on the "Wine Club" idea -- so TCM isn't the only place for this.  Funny, as the nation is in the midst of a flowering of craft-brewed beers, the bandwagon is loaded for wine!  I believe the PR folks call this "Striking while the iron is hot." But then, I cook for a living, so what do I know?

It will be interesting at least to see if all this new revenue-enhancing and "branding" for TCM will pay off.  If this is the only way to keep the channel from chugging down the AMC tracks. then we may just have to put up with quite a bit! 

Time will tell, eh?

Brian     

• Like 2

I read over thirty complaints about the wine commercials on Facebook yesterday...and that was a brief glance. One comment, in favor of ending the wine ads, had 87 likes with an hour after its posting. I think the frequency with which the ads are airing is what's setting people on edge. If this was done more discretely, not bombarding viewers, there probably would have been less people upset.

Why would TCM continue a practice that is clearly becoming a P.R. nightmare...?

It would be embarrassing to abandon it so quickly.

This is beyond ridiculous. Just now, for the third time this calendar day, I tuned in to TCM to catch a film and within 60 seconds on each occasion the wine club promo came on.

I just did as I did twice earlier today - I changed the channel and most likely will not tune back in as I'm rather annoyed and besides, I've seen the films already and have plenty of stuff in my "to watch" pile anyway

How much longer before TCM starts running crawls on the bottom of the screen during movies to promote this or the film fest? This way you can still claim the movies are uninterrupted and yet add commercials at the same time. Maybe have a little animated Ben sniffing the wine or even stomping on the grapes.

The heck with LET'S MOVIE, you should have adopted LET'S FLICK because this overload is obviously your way of telling viewers "flick you."

This is beyond ridiculous. Just now, for the third time this calendar day, I tuned in to TCM to catch a film and within 60 seconds on each occasion the wine club promo came on.

I just did as I did twice earlier today - I changed the channel and most likely will not tune back in as I'm rather annoyed and besides, I've seen the films already and have plenty of stuff in my "to watch" pile anyway

How much longer before TCM starts running crawls on the bottom of the screen during movies to promote this or the film fest? This way you can still claim the movies are uninterrupted and yet add commercials at the same time. Maybe have a little animated Ben sniffing the wine or even stomping on the grapes.

The heck with LET'S MOVIE, you should have adopted LET'S FLICK because this overload is obviously your way of telling viewers "flick you."

Let's wine.

• Like 1

Sort of what people were griping about on Facebook a few days ago. One person commented, and I am paraphrasing: "It's not the first time TCM has beat something into the ground."