Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guilty Pleasures

Hi There:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." (ha) If I remember correctly, George Clooney actually played in that one. However, I do think if the movie had of been called "Attack of the Killer Toilets," it would have given the writers and producers a lot more to work with. I believe there was a movie a long while back about horrid little creatures that would come up out of the toilet.

Seriously, I am one who does like the older movies (funny or whatever). I like anything with Claudet Colbert in it. Though I think there are plenty of talented actors and actresses out there today, my opinion is that there were more truly talented actors and actresses employed in film prior to the 1960's. Movie content generally contained a lot less gore, more lore, and a lot less negative graphic emphasis (though not sparing entirely), with more emphasis on simple pleasures, love, and the pleasant things in life, all stirring the imagination, and adding to the beauty of films.

Here are a few of mine : "The Cannonball Run," and its sequel "Cannonball Run 2" - both have a pathetic story about a race across America, and have bad dialouge, but they're great fun - especially to see the stars clowning around - Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise feed off of each other in a hilarious way.

Another would be John Water's "Polyester." I'm not really a big fan of his films, but this one really gets me, I've seen it like 4 times. Just to see Divine acting like a suburban housewife cracks me up. It's bad movie making at its best.

Moviejoe I saw "Polyester" when It first opened in New York and it was in "Odor-rama". We were given a scratch and sniff card and when a signal flashed on the screen we scratched and sniffed the card to coincide with the action of the movie. Hilarious.

Yes, Divine was also hilarious as the housewife.

I still have that card which also has the pictures of the stars on it.

Mongo

Speaking of John Waters, he made a fantastic laugh-fest flick back in the l970s called "Mondo Trasho." It's not available anywhere. I used to watch this one down at the Village during their midnight cult movie nights. Divine plays a demented Dorothy of Oz who runs over Vivian Pearce (the pretty blonde regular in Water's films) and has a mad doctor amputate Pearce's legs and replace them with chicken legs. Divine clicks her stiletto heels three times and she and Vivian end up on a pig farm, right there in the muck. Angels, dangling by wires, suddenly appear and sing hymns as Divine grovels in the pig pit and prays for forgiveness. It's completely demented but hysterically off-the-wall.

Mongo - I forgot all about the "oderama" aspect of "Polyester," and even when you see it today the numbers are still shown. It would be nice to see it with the scratch and sniff card, I would probably laugh twice as hard.

Another one would be "Lady in a Cage," with the incomparable Olivia deHavilland, joined by James Caan (in his first movie role), and Ann Sothern. This film is the definition of bad movie making. The story is ridiculous and it is very poorly made. But I love watching Olivia's tragic, crippled character go through hell at the hands of the maniacal Caan and his cohorts. And Ann Sothern is hilarious as an old souse who is a bit of a thief.

MovieJoe, you and I are usually on the very same wave length about our favorites, but on "Lady in the Cage," I'll have to disagree. I've always loved everythng about this sixties thriller. It takes place on a hot day in L.A. You can feel the heat and the sweat dripping from everyone. The big, anonymous house that Olivia lives in is so much a part of the action you feel like you're literally trapped there too. And the drip=drip of that old, clanky air-conditioner. I thought Olivia was dynamite. I remember watching this in a big, old-fashioned movie palace here in NYC on a scalding hot July day. The AC was off. Everyone in the theater were forced to get into the ambiance of this minor classic whether they wanted to or not.

Paty, I respect your admiration of "Lady in a Cage," but I guess I thought it was a little too cheesy. I do think that Olivia was good in it though - Ann Sothern as well. And I forgot about the air conditioner - it did add another element of suspense to the film.

• 4 months later...

Adventures of Buckroo Bansai

Godzilla vs King Kong

Heck any Godzilla vs who ever

Satisfaction (88) justine batman, julia roberts, scott coffey, trini alvarado, britta phillips

are a few of my guilty pleasures

• 3 weeks later...

A guilty pleasure for me, and this is just one among many, are the old "horror" flicks from the 50's and 60's, such as The Blob, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and things of that sort.

And I have quite the pension for disaster movies too, once I start them, I just can't turn them off.

Alexa

Ok, someone said disaster movies.

Yep...guilty as charged, especially the "made for tv" ones with the bad acting. Like the one about the tornado threatening the nuclear reactor, or "Night of the Twisters" or "Flood: A River's Rampage".

Great Mindless Entertainment.

Now you all got me going.

Film noir...even if its bad, I can't change the channel.

50's westerns

50's Sci-Fi

I can actually sit through an entire Elvis movie. Oh, the shame!

Here's the worst one. Sometimes I just zone out in front of the TV... like suddenly realizing that I've been watching the weather channel for a half hour".

LOL. Thanks for the thread.

50's sci-fi and horror rate high atop my list of "guilty pleasures". Here are a fraction of the films I enjoy:

Quatermass 2 (1957)

Robot Monster (1953)

Invaders From Mars (1953)

Fiend Without a Face (1957)

It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)

The Hideous Sun Demon (1959)

First Man Into space (1958)

Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957)

The Monster of Piedras Blancas (1958)

The She Creature (1957)

The Man From Planet X (1951)

It Conquered the World (1956)

Kronos (1957)

If you've subjected your loved ones to watching bits and pieces of the films as many time as I have, you'd probably feel guilty about it. I thought III was very Shakespearean in the way Michael and the family were destroyed. I particularly like the Saga, putting the story into chronological order.

Well, at a time in our history that it's not easy to be against war, I have to admit that I've always watched war movies and have enjoyed seeing many of them at least a few times more than once. And, perhaps it's because of the graphic content in some of these war movies that I'm still opposed to war. How can any parent watch the opening 20+ minute sequence in Saving Private Ryan, and be thrilled when their son joins the Marines?

Nedlato, I didn't submit my post to initiate an argument with you. I'm quite aware that the US Army was the branch of the service that was depicted in Saving Private Ryan. I mentioned the Marines, because that was the branch my son served with, and I can't begin to tell you how proud of him I am, and how worried I was for him when he was in combat. Additionally, I was thinking of the more contemporary wars following WWII. Of course we should have fought in WWII, and maybe even Korea. Since then, I'm just not so sure. War is never as "black and white" as we'd like for it to be and there are lots of parents just like me who would like to see more effort put toward Peace, instead of war.