Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's On at London's BFI

Bogie56

This is for the curious.  It doesn't particularly pertain to discussion of TCM nor do I expect anyone to be booking a ticket to London, England just for one of these screenings.  But sometimes restored prints have a habit of turing up across the pond at other venues and eventually on television.

The BFI's archive curator is to introduce A Woman Alone (1936) starring Anna Sten on January 19.  New restored print??

King Vidor's Show People (`1928) with Marion Davies is being introduced by film historian, Kevin Brownlow on January 25.

The BFI is doing a retrospective of Jean-Luc Godard films and actress Anna Karina is set to do a Q&A after 3 of these: Vivre sa Vie, Bande a Part and Le Mepris aka Contempt.  She is also set to introduce one of her favourite films, Singin' In the Rain.

The BFI is sowing some wartime films as part of a Blitz Flicks series.  Actress Peggy Cummins is set to introduce the film Welcome, Mr. Washington (1944) in which she starred way back in 1944 on January 31.  Welsh born Ms. Cummins of Gun Crazy fame is going to be 90 on december 18th of this year.

The BFI's archive curator is also to introduce the war time comedy, The Goose Steps Out (1942) with Will Hay.

The Royal Festival Hall is screening Greta Garbo's Love (1927) with a new score and live performance by the Philharmonia Orchestra on February 25, 2016.  I don't know if this means a newly restored print?

Bogie, sounds like a terrific schedule of films. I never need an excuse to visit London, but this would certainly be an incentive to book my trip now. I am particularly intrigued by Show People with an introduction by Kevin Brownlow, the Q&A with Anna Karina and J-L Godard's films. Thanks for the information; it will certainly bring a cozy glow to an otherwise dreary winter.

• Like 1

Bogie, sounds like a terrific schedule of films. I never need an excuse to visit London, but this would certainly be an incentive to book my trip now. I am particularly intrigued by Show People with an introduction by Kevin Brownlow, the Q&A with Anna Karina and J-L Godard's films. Thanks for the information; it will certainly bring a cozy glow to an otherwise dreary winter.

I've just booked to see Welcome, Mr. Washington on Jan. 31st and am very much looking forward to seeing Ms. Peggy Cummins in person.  It is in NFT3 which is a smaller room but still very good.  As I said in the OP she is 90 later this month.

• Like 1

I've just booked to see Welcome, Mr. Washington on Jan. 31st and am very much looking forward to seeing Ms. Peggy Cummins in person.  It is in NFT3 which is a smaller room but still very good.  As I said in the OP she is 90 later this month.

I'm a big fan of GUN CRAZY so I think it's cool you'll get to see Ms. Cummins.

• Like 1