Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frantic for FARKLE FAMILY facts!

"Frantic"--not really. I enjoy the symmetry of my subject line.

Plus, I could probably find out everything I would ever want to know about my subject in about 30 seconds but, I will ask anyway.

"Farkle Family" maybe from the TV show "Hee-Haw"? "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In"?

For extra credit:

Name the Farkles...all of 'em.

Rusty

It's called alliteration...and, I might say, a nice job, although I, personally, would have used "fanatic" instead of "frantic."

"The repetition of the same sounds or of the same kinds of sounds at the beginning of words or in stressed syllables, as in ?on scrolls of silver snowy sentences." [From ad- + Latin littera, letter.] -dictionary.com

Flicker Farkle was played by Ruth Buzzi (one of my faves), all she ever said was "Hiiiii..". Father Frank was played, of course, by Dick Martin.

Did you know that Farkle is also the name of the Fark.com-specific application of the popular Google search engine. That was no accident, I'm sure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farkle_Family

Message was edited by:

newswatcher4u

Hello,

alix1929--extra credit points to you for responding to my question!

Non-pareil note, newswatcher4u!

I'm afraid that is the best I can do...even with the help of a Thesaurus.

Thank you both for replying.

Rusty

Thanks, jarh. Quite a compliment! Let's see, nonpareil, as in:

"A small, flat chocolate drop covered with white pellets of sugar."

Just kidding...that's the third meaning of a noun. Thanks for nudging me

into researching the Farkles. I can remember watching "Laugh In" when I was

in the Army in So. Calif. Sure helped me deal with the Army life!

Best to ya!

• 9 years later...

Follow up question on this (very) old post.

One of the episodes of Laugh-In featured a Singing Telegraph boy, I'm almost certain it was on a Farkle Family sketch.  I even remember the song he sings:

"Arriving at noon, if coming by plane,

A little bit later if coming by train,

I'll be here, never fear,

And it's signed Father dear...."

<Dick Martin> That's a mighty fine Telegraph boy you've got here

But for the life of me, I can't find the episode where this occurred.  I know this is a TCM *MOVIE* site, but any help would be appreciated.

The Farkle family was "Laugh-in". Frank and Fannie Farkle were the parents. Buzzi's character was Sparkle Farkle. Their neighbor was Ferd Berfel. (The things we remember!)

It always tickled me how all of the Farklekids looked like FERD!

I also recall a funny skit about "The ESP Family".

Sepiatone

No one has mentioned Jo Ann Worley, who played the mother, Fanny Farkle. Ruth Buzzi as daughter Flicker usually wore a polka-dot dress, if I remember correctly, and would lie on the floor, kick up her heels, show off her petticoats, and say "Hiiiii!"

The Farkle Family segment of Laugh-In was essentially the same sketch with the same running joke every time--and that was the joke. If you dug The Farkle Family, that was the point. We wanted variations of the same joke.

By the way, one sign of its popularity is that there was a racehorse named Fanny Farkle who ran at the Florida tracks.