Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is the greatest Child Star of all time???

IloveFred- I totally agree about Jake Gyllenhall. Its like "Homer Hickam" (I think that's how its spelled) goes to gay land.

Jamie Bell is in the new Kong. He's the teenager that the crew is always looking after.

I love Dead End with the Dead End Kids. Unfortunately that's the only film I've seen the whole crew in together. I've seen most of them in other things by themselves but Dead End really is a winner. Bogie is awesome. LOL. The type of roll model I was always looking up to in my own childhood.

Also I just saw the new Oliver Twist from Polanski. I think it is the best telling yet put on film. Even better the David Lean's, and that is saying a lot. The cast is very real. Very Dickensian troubles, helpless to do anything about their surroundings or the lives they lead. I'm rather shocked that this film wasn't nominated for many more academy awards. The critics really coined the phrase Personal Director when Polanski directed The Pianist. This is no exception. I've never seen this story told with such a level of intensity or truth about what poor Oliver really had to go through in order to survive and still break free from his surroundings. Its an intimate and moving story. Showing effectively, the attitudes of the time and the strength and resiliency of youth. Barney Clark and Harry Eden are brilliant as Oliver and Dodger. I think Dickens, himself, would even be proud of Polanski and all the kids who brought this to the screen. Easily one of the best films of the year.

Message was edited by:

XBergmanX

I really love Jamie Bell I just didn't know that was his name. He does such a good job. I really cried along with him when the...First Mate??...I can't remember his name!...died. Is there anything else he's in?? I'd love to see more of him! I'll keep an eye out for Oliver Twist.

> IloveFred- I totally agree about Jake Gyllenhall. Its

> like "Homer Hickam" (I think that's how its spelled)

> goes to gay land.

Oh my gosh, I thought i was the only person in the whole world who felt like this but I'm glad to see someone shares my views. I was really a fan of Gyllenhall in "The Day After Tomorrow" but I can't say I really adore him anymore.

For me, with Mickey, I guess it depended on the movie. Most of his younger stuff is great. It gets a little shadey when he gets older. I love Pete's Dragon and Sugar Babies for instance. I gues I've always been more of a Feddie Bartholomew fan. Even more then Rooney and Cooper.

Message was edited by:

XBergmanX

I've been waiting for someone to mention any one of the Watson siblings. I personaly am not a very big fan and didn't feel the desire. I do see their importance among the great classic child actors though. I've been surprised more people haven't rallied around them. I did love seeing them together in Mr Smith Goes to Washington. The scene where they are all over their dad to appoint Jeff Smith was brilliant.

And who can forget Bob in the Boys Town movies.

IloveFred-

Here is a list of Jamie Bell's films.

Billy Elliot- 2000

Deathwatch- 2002

Nichols Nickleby- 2002

Undertow- 2004

Dear Wendy- 2005

King Kong- 2005

The Chumscrubber- 2005

You can find lots of pics and info on him and lots of other boy actors at

www.risingstar.to

www.casperworld.com

www.boysonyourscreen.net

http://actorbios.twiaa.net/favorite_links.htm

www.puer.to

Message was edited by:

XBergmanX

The talented tyke Bobs Watson was mentioned a few times in the 'Your Favorites' forum in the "Your Favorite Child Stars" thread.

Who could forget him as **** in "On Borrowed Time" with Lionel Barrymore and as Pee Wee in "Boys Town", as you mentioned.

He could turn on the waterworks at the drop of a hat and would become known as the crybaby of Hollywood.

Of all the Watson kid actors he was the most popular.

In his adult life he became Reverend Watson. He passed away at age 68 in 1999.

Thanks for the info Mongo. You always add great facts to all the threads. I had no idea he was a Reverend. That's pretty cool. And I agree, he could start a flood at the drop of a hat.

I see so many of these kids have passed away so recently. Its sad that very few are ever remembered at the Academy Death Tribute. Even when they did have a tribute to child actors, at the show for 1999's movies, it didn't do many of them justice. They even left out a few of their own winners.Too bad really.

Since nearly everybody else has seen the need to post their list of the greatest child stars of all time, here is my ("koff" "koff") laundry list of the greatest child stars of all time and their greatest performances.

Fairuza Balk "Return to Oz"

Freddie Barthlomew "David Copperfield"

Jamie Bell "Billy Elliott"

Peter Billingsley "Christmas Story"

Linda Blair "The Exorcist"

Helena Bonham Carter "Lady Jane"

Keisha Castle Hughes "Whale Rider"

Jackie Cooper "Skippy"

Macaulay Culkin "Home Alone"

Brandon DeWilde "Shane"

Karen Dotrice "Mary Poppins"

Bobby Driscoll "The Window"

Patty Duke "The Miracle Worker"

Jodie Foster "The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane"

Matthew Garber "Mary Poppins"

Judy Garland "The Wizard of Oz"

Peggy Ann Garner "Jane Eyre","A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"

Mary Harris "Frankenstein"

Justin Henry "Kramer vs. Kramer"

Ron Howard "The Courtship of Eddie's Father"

Olivia Hussey "Romeo and Juliet"

Timothy Hutton "Ordinary People"

Claude Jarman, jr. "The Yearling"

Tommy Kirk "Old Yellar"

Mark Lester "Oliver"

Patty McCormack "The Bad Seed"

Roddy McDowall "Lassie Come Home"

Hayley Mills "Pollyanna"

Sal Mineo "Rebel Without a Cause"

Emil Minty "The Road Warrior"

Margaret O'Brien "Meet Me in St. Louis"

Tatum O'Neal "Paper Moon"

Joel Haley Osment "The Sixth Sense"

Anna Paquin "The Piano"

River Phoenix "Running on Empty"

Chris Pitt "The Lair of the White Worm"

Kurt Russell "Follow Me Boys"

Sabu "Thief of Bagdad"

Meredith Salenger "The Journey of Natty Gann"

Jonathan Scott-Taylor "The Omen II"

Anne Shirley "Anne of Green Gables"

Martin Stephen "The Innocents," "Village of the Damned"

Harvey Stephens "The Omen"

Dean Stockwell "The Boy with Green Hair"

Elizabeth Taylor "National Velvet"

Shirley Temple "The Little Princess"

Lenard Whiting "Romeo and Juliet"

Jack Wild "Oliver"

Jane Withers "Bright Eyes"

Natalie Woods "Miracle on 34th Street," "Rebel Without a Cause"

Hello,

Peter Holden from "The Great Man Votes" (1939) starring John Barrymore.

Peter Holden was a notably talented, tow-headed tyke.

IMDB list only one movie for his filmography. I wonder if John Barrymore scared Peter Holden...his parents, siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins right out of Hollywood.

John Barrymore--didn't he hate to work with child actors?

Rusty

Thanks for the info! I went to those websites and i saw a picture of Zach & Cody...well i don't know if that is their real name but from "The Suite Life" they are so adorable. I usually get annoyed by Disney Channel actors but i find these two really cute.

How about the twins in the movie "The Other" (1972). The parts were played by 10 year old Chris and Martin Udvarnoky, in their one and only film.

It was an eerie story from the book by actor Tom Tryon. The twins played a suspicious duo who liked to play an odd game.

Although the youngsters were good, they didn't pursue a film career and remained in New Jersey, where they'll be celebrating their 45th. birthdays in May.

mongo,

Quote:

"It was an eerie story from the book by actor Tom Tryon..."

Have you ever read any books by Tom Tryon?

"The Other", along with Tryon's "Harvest Home", are superior supernatural thrillers.

"The Other", the movie, was a great adaptation of Tryon's novel (kudos to Uta Hagen as the grandmother/teacher).

"Harvest Home", the movie, was kind of a disappointment.

Tom Tryon and Sterling Hayden are two actors who succeeded as fiction writers. Can you name any other screen performers who also wrote worthwhile novels? I bet you can!

Rusty

Mitchum was one that you might have expected to write a novel, after reading his bio. Welles is another. One of my favorite novelists wasn't a performer, but a screenwriter ... John Fante. The only person who was as pithy and pure as he, was Bukowski, who cited Fante as his inspiration. I wish TCM would play some of the movies that Fante wrote. Robert Towne's adaptation of Fante's, Ask the Dust comes out this year, about 70 after it was written. But I wish Colin Farrel wasn't in it.

MattHelm,

Jerzy Kosinski appeared in two movies (IMDB filmography).

Have you read Kosinski's "The Painted Bird"?

My experience reading "The Painted Bird" was something like my experience of...drunken friend crashing his dune buggy into the side of a mountain (I was the passenger).

Okay...I am exaggerating.

Reading "The Painted Bird" was the mental equivalent of getting hit about the head with a baseball bat.

My brother told me of a modus operandi for murder he read in one of Kosinski's books--a villainous pilot 'paints' his victim with microwaves from a fighter jet radar. The murderer knows he just wrote a death sentence for the victim--cancer ten or twenty years in the future.

I don't know the book reference.

I do know my brother's comment, "Man...that was cold".

Rusty

BTW: About the dune buggy? We were okay. The dune buggy (and the humor of my friend's dad) was not.

> My brother told me of a modus operandi for murder he

> read in one of Kosinski's books--a villainous pilot

> 'paints' his victim with microwaves from a fighter

> jet radar. The murderer knows he just wrote a

> death sentence for the victim--cancer ten or twenty

> years in the future.

>

That is cold. I've read of microwaves that the Soviets used to target Nixon's entourage when they visited Russia ... they made several officials sick, including the US ambassador.