Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

feaito, I thought that one was difficult! Not for you, huh? Are you a Coward fan, as I am. He really could do it all, couldn't he - and do it well?

Well, that will teach me not to suggest what is difficult and what isn't.

Today's Trivia 101:

This oscar winner's fourth husband was her second husband's son (her ex-stepson).

Ralph

Good for you, Scarlett - Gloria Grahame is correct. Her marriage to the son lasted a lot longer than the marriage to the father.

New Trivia 101:

She won a Tony for this role on Broadway, was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe for the movie - and it has never been released on DVD in the U.S. A shame, 'cause it's a terrific movie.

Name the actress and the movie.

Ralph

Hi gramdc -

No, it's not Julie Harris, although you had me worried there for a minute. "Member of the Wedding" fits most of the clues, but Miss Harris did not win a Tony for that role - she wasn't even nominated - although she was nominated for an Oscar when she did the movie. She does hold the record of "most Tony's ever won by an actress," though. Also, as with the movie I'm looking for, "Member of the Wedding" has not yet been released on DVD in the U.S.

Here's Trivia 101 clue #2:

HAPPY FEBRUARY 14TH!!!

Ralph

Well, Gramdc and Vallo - I am happy to say you are both wrong! I didn't want to come back here this morning 'cause I thought somebody would have answered it and I would have to come up with a new question. Especially after that last clue!!!

O.K., here's Clue #3 (I hope this doesn't offend anyone):

"Why can't you name a girl ****? Plenty of guys walking around named Dick!"

Ralph

O.K., everyone. Here's the clue which will give you the answer:

Trivia 101 Clue #4:

Man and woman on boat....making love....waves dashing against boat....music swells....she looks right into the camera and asks, "Where did that orchestra come from?"

Who is she and what is the name of the actress?

Ralph

Right, Scarlett - it's the lovely Pauline Collins (feaito!) in a terrific movie, "Shirley Valentine," from the play by Willy Russell (he also wrote another of my favorites, "Educating Rita"). Gramdc, if you get a chance to see either one, I think you'll enjoy them. Good movies - well written, well acted and well made. I don't know about "Rita," but it's a shame "Shirley Valentine" isn't yet on DVD in the States - it is in other parts of the world.

Today's Trivia 101:

"Stars were made to suffer, and I am a star!" Who said that? Not someone you would think of right away.

Ralph

Scarlett - you're right, it was Jayne Mansfield (and she obviously thought more of herself than you). She really wasn't a bad actress, just not very bright in some of her career choices. She was probably happy as a lark doing what she was doing - and her night club routine was still packing them in. Her daughter Mariska is on a TV series right now, I think. And she's never said a bad word about either of her parents.

Gramdc - if you liked "Educating Rita" (I liked it a lot - both Michael Caine and Julie Walters are terrific) - I think you will like "Shirley Valentine" just as well - if you can find it (I think it's on VHS in the States). When "Shirley Valentine" was on Broadway, it was a one person show, with Shirley speaking directly to the audience. They opened it up (they had to!!) for the movie and added Tom Conti and a cast of real characters, and it still works very well - and Shirley still speaks directly to the audience (the movie audience this time).

There's another good one with Julie Walters and Brenda Blethyn and Kris Kristofferson - an odd combination, huh? It's a very good movie - and I forget the name of it. Someone wins the lottery and they go to Las Vegas for a fling and meet Kris Kristofferson. Scarlett will know the name of that, right? I forget. Anyway, I think you'd like it.

Today's Trivia 101:

What actor appeared with John Wayne in more movies than any other actor? No, it's not him!

Ralph

Not who? Duke, his horse? ^^ Then I'll guess Gabby Hayes.

Sorry, I don't know the name of the Kristofferson movie, because I don't care for Kristofferson. Actually, I must confess I've never seen Shirley Valentine either. I just remember hearing about the line "......a lot of men named 'dick' around" because I thought it was funny. I will likely look for it now, however, since I loved Educating Rita.

Hi feaito - No, it's not him!

And Miss Scarlett, it's not Gabby Hayes either.

A reliable character actor, not as well known to the general public as Ward Bond or Gabby Hayes, but in lots of movies we've all seen - and in more John Wayne movies than any other actor.

Ralph

Once again, Miss Scarlett, you're right! Remember Paul Fix? I guess the closest he came to becoming a star was when he was on Chuck Connors' "The Rifleman" TV series. Incidentally, Paul Fix's birth name was Paul Fix Morrison - and of course, John Wayne was born Marion Morrison. Coincidence?

Today's Trivia 101:

What movie is this from and who says it:

"Tonight he joins fellow best actor nominee Paul Newman for "Coot," Clint Eastwood for "Codger," Michael Douglas for "Primary Urges," and Steven Segal for "Snowball in Hell."

That's funny stuff!!!

Ralph

No takers? Not even a guess? O.K., here's

Clue #2:

Although it is certainly not a classic, this movie received excellent reviews and it's leading man was nominated for a Golden Globe (Best Actor - Comedy), it's leading lady was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress, and (here's the giveaway), it's two male leads were nominated for an MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss (long before Brokeback Mountain).

Got it now?

Ralph