Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia 101

Ralph

You're right, feaito - "In and Out," directed by Frank Oz. Joan Cusack (Oscar and Golden Globe nominee): "I need a heterosexual male, CODE RED!" A funny movie.

Today's Trivia 101:

This movie was begun in 1941, abandoned, recast, filmed and released years later. Name the movie and the original 1941 stars.

Ralph

Movieman - had they started filming "The Man Who Would be King" and then abandoned it? Bogart and Gable were replaced after filming scenes for the movie? I don't think so. If they were, you got me good!!!!

Nope, that's not the one I'm looking for.

Ralph

Right on, traceyk65 - "The Yearling." Recast and released in 1946 with Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman and Claude Jarman, Jr. Good movie, huh?

Today's Trivia 101:

Name this song and the movie it's from:

"Hula hoops and nuclear war, Dr. Salk and Zsa Zsa Gabor, Harry Truman, Truman Capote, and Dewey."

Ralph

Right, duffylab - "Flower Drum Song." A good musical with lots of atmosphere, good songs and dances. I haven't seen it in years - is it on DVD? Myoshi Umeki - remember her (Academy Award for "Sayonara")? And every Asian actor in Hollywood.

Today's Trivia 101:

They were married for over 40 years but only appeared in two movies together. Who are they?

Ralph

Duffylab - nope, it's not Frances Dee and Joel McCrea. And CharlieT, it's not Ronald and Nancy either.

Do either of these couples fit the clue? I know they both had long marriages (over 40 years?), but did either couple appear in two movies together? I haven't researched this, so I truly don't know. If either couple matches the clue exactly, I've screwed up. It's the human factor, you know . . .

Anyway, here's another clue:

Their most famous roles? Maria, meet Oliver.

Good luck, everyone.

Ralph

Frances Dee and Joel McCrea overfit the clue. They first starred together in (and met while making) 1933's The Silver Cord and went on to work together in a handful of westerns.

Here's another guess: Eddie Albert and Margo (here I assume that Oliver is a reference to Oliver Wendell Douglas, for whom Green Acres was the place to be).

duffylab -

That's a good, educated guess - Eddie Albert and his wife Margo. And it's right! They appeared in only two movies together. Most famous roles? She was Maria in the original "Lost Horizon," the girl who goes out into the world and ages before our eyes, remember? And I think Eddie Albert was most famous for his role as Oliver Wendell Douglas on "Green Acres," right? Even though he had appeared on Broadway and made dozens of movies over the years.

The other couples mentioned don't fit the clue. Joel and Frances made several movies together (five, I think). Paul and Joanne made more than two. Nancy and Ronnie made only one (we're talking movies here, not TV). Am I wrong?

O.K., so here's today's Trivia 101:

There are two actresses who appear on AFI's list of Top 25 Legends who have been married only once and have never been divorced. Who are they?

Ralph

Hi feaito -

Joanne Woodward is not on the AFI Top 25 list.

Sophia Loren divorced Carlo Ponti and remarried him several years later (so she has been divorced, even though she has only been married to one man).

Grace Kelly is correct - who is the other?

Ralph

Right, feaito - Marlene and Rudy were never divorced.

Now, to stay on the same subject,

Here is today's Trivia 101:

Who said this? In what movie?

"I didn't say it was a happy marriage; I said it was a long marriage."

Too easy?

Ralph