Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You're right, Vallo - "The Odd Couple." From Art and Walter to Jack and Walter to Tony and Jack to Matthew and Nathan. It won't stop. I'm waiting for the musical! Seriously, I've thought for years that someone would make a musical out of this - I wonder if it's ever been tried.

Ayres - "The Producers" began with Zero and Gene in the original movie and then to Nathan and Matthew (the musical version - on Broadway and on the screen).

Here's today's Trivia 101:

What is the connecting link between "Psycho," "What's Up, Doc," and "The Subject Was Roses?"

Good luck - I think that's a difficult one.

Ralph

The three Albertsons:

Frank played the obnoxious guy whose money was stolen in "Psycho."

Mabel was the obscenely mini-skirted rich woman in "What's Up, Doc?"

Jack was the father in "The Subject Was Roses"

You're right, MrWriteLA - Frank Albertson, Mabel Albertson and Jack Albertson; two brothers and a sister whom we've all seen over the years. Mabel is the lady with the handbag who steals all her scenes in "What's Up, Doc" (unless Madeline Kahn is on-screen with her; then it's a toss-up).

This grand old character actress had a career lasting from 1948 to 2001. Although she is not a household name, she has one of those "Oh, I know her!" faces. She was nominated for a Tony (her biggest role ever) in a musical; she died five days after her last performance on Broadway.

Ralph

You're right, duffylab - Kathleen Freeman, who played a variety of neighborhood gossips, busybodies and eccentrics. Also known as Mother Mary Stigmata.

O.K., here's today's Trivia 101:

Director was nominated for Academy Award - Best Director. Leading lady nominated for Golden Globe and BAFTA - Best Actress. This much-loved movie was filmed in Wales - not in Asia.

Good luck.

Ralph

No, Charlie, it's not "The Good Earth." I think Luise Rainer won Best Actress oscar for "The Good Earth," didn't she?

Next Trivia 101 Clue:

Taiwanese government said, "Sorry, you can't film that here." (Or words to that effect).

Ralph

You're right, MrWriteLA - "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness," with Ingrid Berman and (I'm pretty sure) Curt Jurgens. Based on the book "The Little Woman" by Alan Burgess. Good movie.

O.K., here's another Trivia 101:

Who was "from Brazil, where the nuts come from?" And what was the name of the movie?

Ralph

Not as simple an answer to that as you might think.

In the non-musical versions, the character is Fancourt ("Babbs") Babberly, in drag as Dona Lucia d'Alvadorez, aka "Charley's Aunt" and played by Charlie Ruggles (1930) and Jack Benny (1940).

In the musical version, however, "Where's Charley?" starring Ray Bolger, there is no Babberly character, and the faux aunt is none other than Charley Wyckham himself.

But MrWriteLA, the simple answer is:

Who is "from Brazil, where the nuts come from?" - Charlie's Aunt.

Name of movie - "Where's Charley?"

The line, "from Brazil, where the nuts come from," is from the musical version.

New Trivia 101:

Billy Redden. What did he do and in what movie?

Ralph

Mongo, you old smoothie! Where have you been (I know the answer to that; I read you just about everyday). Anyway, you're absolutely right - Billy did the "Dueling Banjo's" number in "Deliverance."

New Trivia 101:

The aunt and cousin of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, these sisters are the subject of what acclaimed documentary?

Ralph

Right, MrWriteLA. This documentary, by John Mayles (is that last name spelled correctly?) focuses on the lives of Jackie Kennedy's cousin and aunt who were found living in squalor in a huge old mansion in The Hamptons, New York. They called themselves Big Edie and Little Edie and are currently being played in an off-Broadway musical by Christine Ebersole and Mary Louise Wilson. They were, also, crazy as bedbugs. But funny - the documentary, "The Grey Gardens" is a fascinating look into a truly bizarre lifestyle.

New Trivia 101:

This wonderful old character actor died of natural causes at age 91. He appeared in 14 movies with John Wayne; also with Marlon Brando and in a couple of the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies. Excellent role in one of the "best movies" of all time.

Ralph

Good for you, movieman1957. What gave it away? The "14 movies with John Wayne?" Anyway, Hank Worden is right - I think his most memorable role was as Old Mose in one of my favorites, "The Searchers."

A favorite character actress and her husband appeared together for the first time in what movie (they had already been married for over fifty years)?

Good luck. Someday I'm going to stump somebody, I swear to God!

Ralph

Mostly it was John Wayne and his age. (The Searchers is one of my favs too.) I remember seeing him in Eastwood's "Every Which Way But Loose" or the sequel and was struck by how similar he looked to his "Searchers" days. He aged pretty well.

Trivia 101 - Clue #3:

. . . or Kiri or Edna. But we must mention Pal.

Now, for that extra clue, you must name the character actress and the movie.

Gramdc, where are you when I need you?

Ralph

Trivia 101 Clue #4:

McDowell and Crisp and and Taylor; love lost and love found.

Name of movie? Character actress and husband who appeared in it (their first movie together) after fifty years of marriage?

Ralph