Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ralph

Trivia 101

You're right, Fred. 1943's "Lassie Come Home," also featuring the young and lovely Elizabeth Taylor.

New Trivia 101:

Oscar winner, took screen name from Stanwyck movie.

Ralph

You're right, Mongo. Gig Young took his professional name from the character he played in "The Gay Sisters." (Back when gay had a different meaning than today, huh)?

Today's Trivia 101:

Sir Alec Guinness and Sir Cedric Hardwicke played the same character - one on the stage and one in the movies. What is the character's name?

Good luck.

Ralph

Just a guess from out of the blue. King Arthur from "A Connecticutt Yankee in King Arthur's Court?"

My guess is that it's some British guy with an English accent. Possibly balding.

Charlie

Hi Charlie -

Nice to hear from you again, even if you are so wrong. British guy with an English accent - you're on the right track.

Trivia 101, Clue#2:

Molly Goldberg and Auntie Mame.

Ralph

Charlie, that was very funny, but MrWriteLA is correct. Now, what's the name of the movie?

Ralph

Thanks, feaito. You're right, "A Majority of One," by Leonard Spigelgas. I wonder why they never cast a Japanese to play the love interest opposite Gertrude Berg or Rosalind Russell? I saw this on Broadway years ago and the most memorable moment in the entire play was when Gertrude Berg performed some sort of Jewish ceremony with candles at a table - I remember that most of the audience broke into applause. I had no idea why. It was a good show but Cedric Hardwicke looked about as Japanese as I do.

Today's Trivia 101:

Elaine's dad. Brother also actor.

Now, I am off to Thailand for a couple of days to find some DVDs, books, and pizza. God, it's hot!!

Ralph

DC, I was wondering where you were. Nice to hear from you; I hope you are well and making it through the winter. Think Spring!

Lawrence Tierney is right - what are you, a Seinfeld addict? He only played Elaine's father once and I heard he scared everyone on the set and was never asked back. Famous as "Dillinger" and brother of Scott Brady.

Today's Trivia 101:

In his first feature film, this director did a cameo as a "john" of the title chaWho is the director, what is the movie, and who is the leading lady?racter.

Ralph

Well, I messed that one up nicely, didn't I? I'll try again:

In his first feature film, this director did a cameo as a "john" of the title character. Who is the director, what is the movie, and who is the leading lady?

Ralph

Hi Ralph, I've been here on and off, I am a Seinfeld fan and saw that and couldn't resist. Think Lawrence Tierney had that reputation as a guy hard to get along with.

Was it Alan J. Pakula directing "Klute" starring Jane Fonda?

Incidentally, did you find that rope shop in Thailand? Thought maybe you could find the Thai that binds.

Charlie

Sorry, Charlie. It's not "Klute."

And by the way, the Thai that binds is not a rope shop. It's Miss Kiki, a dominatrix who works out of Pattaya. And Miss Kiki was born a Mister, so I've been told. This is, of course, second hand knowledge.

Now, where were we? Oh, yes, Trivia 101. Here's another clue:

A cult favorite. Both the leading man and the leading lady say that their sex scenes are not simulated, they are the real deal!

Good luck.

Ralph

Box Car Bertha? David Carridine and Barbara Hershey? Directed by Martin Scorsese?

vallo

You're right, Vallo. "Box Car Bertha," Martin Scorsese's first feature film.

New Trivia 101:

This actress had a small but memorable role in "All About Eve" but later played the female lead in a science fiction favorite.

Ralph

That was far too easy. wasn't it, MrWriteLA? You're right, Randy Stuart had that nice little scene on the telephone in "All About Eve" and then went on to star in "The Incredible Shrinking Man."

Okay, here's todays Trivia 101:

Divine did it first, then Harvey, and now John is going to do it. What am I talking about? (Somehow, I don't think that clue is nearly obscure enough).

Ralph

Hi gramdc - of course it is. Hairspray. I forgot to mention that Harvey is still doing it in Las Vegas while the show is still going strong on Broadway. And John Travolta is set to do the movie.

Today's Trivia 101:

What actor played the same character in two Preston Sturges films?

Ralph

> What actor played the same character in two

> Preston Sturges films?

>

> Ralph

Actually, there are two of them: Brian Donlevy and Akim Tamiroff re-created their roles from "The Great McGinty" in the framing device of "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek"

Thanks, MrWriteLA; I wasn't aware of Akim Tamiroff being in both "The Great McGinty" amd "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. The answer I was after was Brian Donleavy. Not my first mistake, and probably not my last.

Today's Trivia 101:

This prolific Welsh actor/director/author's work was often autobiographical. Two of his most famous plays were made into movies, one starred Robert Montgomery and one starred Bette Davis. Name the two movies and the triple threat actor/director/author.

Ralph

You're writing of the Welsh Emlyn Williams, author of The Corn is Green, which starred Davis.

A gentleman at last, and my first task is to steal a horse."

-- Williams as the Saxon serf Wamba in IVANHOE (1952)