Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

serious bob montgomery fan.....

and a cute nose! i tell you, they don't make them that way anymore. you can keep all the fluff that passes for an actor today. these guys could sing, dance, play the heavy, the romantic, whatever. it always looked so effortless.

"One more Monday of his

films. I'll be sad to see this month end!"

Me too.;( The airing of his rarely seen early films has been heaven for me, since I'm both a big Bob fan, and a 20's and early 30's devotee.:)

I thought for sure he would NEVER be star of the month, since his is hardly a household name. But TCM came through for me.:)

And I thought for sure he was an actor only I knew about and adored. Glad to see there are others who appreciate his looks and talents.

Was thrilled to see Piccadilly Jim finally last night. I wouldn't call it one of my favorites (partly due to Madge Evans, who seemed very bored throughout the film), but the supporting cast was superb, and Bob fit SO well into P.G. Wodehouse's world. I wish he'd had the opportunity to do more.

Have you read the book??? The film is really nothing like it, but it still manages to keep that fun Wodehouse feel.:) I too wish Bob could have done more in P.G.'s lovely universe.;) I was so surprised to learn that Wodehouse helped write the screenplay for The Man in Possession.

I agree about Madge Evans....she seemed to be calling in her performance, but Frank Morgan was a treat ( as always) and Eric Blore was a hoot.:)

I haven't read Piccadilly Jim yet, but I intend to, now! I've read some of the Jeeves stories and a few others. I looked up the listing of the book on Amazon and could tell just from the short synopsis that it's quite different from the film. I also read that there was a recent remake of PJ - the reviews for it are very poor. On the bright side, the reviewers make note of the great performance Bob M. gave in the '36 version. I agree with you about Morgan and Blore (who I just adore in the Fred/Ginger movies) and how cool was it to see Bob and Robert Benchley together! And was that Dennis Morgan singing in the nightclub...?

I recorded the whole block of films they played last night and this morning - going to watch Ever Since Eve later. I have a distinct soft spot for it since it was the first film I saw RM in, and because I adore Marion Davies.

I love this quote from a review of the newest Jim film...

but instead of the classical Hollywood stars who could so perfectly embody Wodehouse characters, 2004 offers the modern Sam Rockwell......

I like Sam in some things, but of course, he's no Bob!;)

And yes, it was lovely to see Montgomery and Benchley getting wasted together.:)

I love Benchley to pieces, and am so happy to see that a collection of his brilliant shorts is due to be released soon.:)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CR7RAW/qid=1138906967/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4862774-3202261?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

Ever Since Eve is a fun movie and one can never go wrong with a film that has Patsy Kelly, Frank McHugh and Allen Jenkins providing character support.:)

I think the first film of Robert's I saw was Here Comes Mr.Jordan which TCM hardly ever shows.

Sadly Viola, since "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" is a Columbia Picture it does not belong to the TCM Library, it belongs to SONY. I've seen it on CINEMAX, which airs Classic Columbia releases, like "Golden Boy", "The More the Merrier", "The Talk of the Town", "Dead Reckoning" et al.

That also gives it less of a chance of a DVD release.

I was hoping to see at least a few RM titles among the catalog releases WB is putting out this year - of course, there are many titles yet to be announced, but I must say I wasn't too thrilled to see Lady in the Lake among them. Well, it's a start anyway, and I'll probably end up buying it if only to add my voice to those who want more of the same.

Two things: Thanks for the heads-up on the Benchley collection. I haven't been poking around the Kino site for awhile and didn't that was coming up. Hitherto, his Paramount shorts have been just a little hard to find! And I couldn't agree with you more about any film featuring Jenkins and Kelly, though sometimes McHugh's hammered-act gets a little tiring, though he's quite often a gem. I think Three Men on a Horse, featuring a superb line-up of character stars, is one of sheer pleasures of '30s cinema.

I've seen Here Comes Mr. Jordan aired on TCM a few times in the past. In light of many recent Sony-owned titles air-time, it's too bad that one was excluded.

Another typo: that should read, "...Sony-owned titles that have received air-time.." or something as banal.

Also, I found it odd that Their Own Desire didn't get a dusting off. Strange, since it's RM's first pairing with Norma Shearer and certainly more essential to the shaping of his screen-persona than The Sins of the Children.

I taped the final night's selections. I saw "Picadilly Jim" when I was a kid on TNT(back in the late 80's when they showed movies) and loved it. I haven't seen it since, and can't wait to watch it this weekend. I am a Wodehouse devotee and I remember it as authentically Wodehousian.

Someone mentioned being surprised that TCM would have Bob Montgomery as star of the month. Why? They own practically all his films. MGM was his home studio for nearly 20 years and TCM owns all the movies he made there

I've enjoyed this month, too. I set my alarm a couple of times to get up and change tapes. I have several more to watch and but got the biggest kick out of Piccadilly Jim so far...gotta' love glam. I'm in the middle of Live, Love and Learn. What an apartment...I can't wait to see if the rich girl sticks it out. Bob is one of my favorites - except for the weird bowling bag (or whatever it was) with the ?head?

His performance was TOO good - TOO creepy for me. (Was it...wasn't it?)

I also enjoy escaping to a Wodehouse world. Where else can you wear furs and tophats?

Teehee....I rather love Lady in the Lake. Audrey Totter's theatrics are quite amusing, and I think Bob makes a decent Marlowe.... plus I love the Christmas backdrop.

"i like your tan, that's very Christmasy"

But I would LOVE to see Ride The Pink Horse released on dvd. It's such an amazing film noir, that's so often sadly overlooked.

I also enjoy escaping to a Wodehouse world. Where else can you wear furs and tophats?

Rather!

Here's something amusing written by Hugh Laurie...now better known as Mr.House M.D.

http://www.hatsharpening.com/j&w/savedlife.php

I thought Bob was pitch perfect in Night Must Fall. He could have very well walked away with the Oscar that year had it not been for Mayer.

Three Men on a Horse may look like it's got a stellar line-up but it doesn't come close to seeing the film itself. Don't miss it next time it's on if you appreciate the finer qualities of Allen Jenkins. Like everybody else in it, he's an absolute hoot! Unfortunately, there isn't a part in that McMahon could' ve played.

And you gotta love Kino and Criterion....except their prices!

I hear you about Kino, Criterion and their hefty price tags. But for the most part, it's definitely money well spent. I'm sure if it weren't for Criterion, two of my favorite movies ('The Devil and Daniel Webster' and ' Haxan')' would have never seen the light of day on dvd. Not to mention the other wonderful titles in their catalog. They are definitely a cultural lifesaver.:)

I'm still saving up my pennies to buy the Criterion edition of Brief Encounter and the Kino issue of Liliom.

I simply adore Allen Jenkins. I think he's much like Lee Tracy ( who I adore as well) you either love him or hate him.

> That website was great - thanks.

> I'm still finishing my Bob movies I taped -

> anyone else? It's kind of hectic in the middle of

> Oscar month taping.

Yes, I still have about a half dozen on my DVR that I have yet to see for the first time. I'm trying to 'save' them and not watch them in one fell swoop. :D

I am working my way through the Montgomery films, too. I just saw ?Piccadilly Jim.? Wow, what a gem! It was very clever and fresh. Bob and the rest of the cast were in top form (except perhaps Madge Evans--she wasn't all there in this film). Frank Morgan and Montgomery made a great team. And Eric Blore was terrific as usual. Such a shame that ensemble couldn?t have done more Wodehouse. I also watched ?Petticoat Fever,? it was a silly film and would?ve been totally forgettable if not for the fine perfromances of Montgomery and Loy--they managed to make the film fairly entertaining--in fact Montgomery was almost as adorable in it as he was in ?Man in Possession.? Too bad Loy and Montgomery didn?t get a chance to work with each other again, because they had marvelous chemistry together. I hope ?When Ladies Meet? will air soon because I?d love to see Montgomery, Morgan, and Loy in the same film.