Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The End Is Near

FredCDobbs

Holy crapola, Batman! Am I seeing things? "South Park"?, "Smokey and the Bandit"? (most likely the worst film ever made), "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion"? (my daughters also like this chick flick). If I had dared mention those titles on here I would have been stomped on. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised though and at the same time a bit confused.

Might I add that the touch of pink in some of the posts is a nice reminder for Valentines Day. Is love in the air around here?

And those green bouncing balls tells me it's almost time to get out the shamrock and think about corned beef and cabbage.

Indeed hilarious was the line "I'll just need to use my built-in filter to ignore some of the obscenity". And, and, and at the same time a stick figure is pouring gasoline on himself and burning to death.

This is too much.

Most enlightning entertainment indeed.

By the way RC and Iz your posts were on target. Nice and easy does it all the time.

stoneyburke,

I accidently tuned into A&E channel this morning and found a program (wedged between tatoos and trollops) that I watched. I think it's called "Morning At The Arts"(?).

Dick Cavett (the 1970's talk show host for those who don't know the name) was plugging his DVD set of "best moments from my show...".

I admit I kind of 'misted up' seeing a young (and alive) John Lennon...sniff...sniff.

Though I should have probably (to paraphrase another forum post) "gotten on with my life", that guy (John Lennon) meant a hell of a lot to me during my formative years.

It was good to see (and hear) a few minutes of Lennon.

Rusty

While searching for something else, I stumbled across the Turner press release site and found this. The release date is Feb. 6, 2006:

http://www.turnerinfo.com/newsitem.aspx?P=TCM&CID01=5ee12b36-3a9d-4e9a-829b-bfe30978b98a

Turner Classic Movies Acquires More Than 100 Paramount Pictures Titles

The Stepford Wives, Shane, Breakfast at Tiffany?s and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Among Titles Obtained by TCM

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) has obtained rights to more than 100 Paramount Pictures films, including The Stepford Wives, Barbarella, Shane, Breakfast at Tiffany?s, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Warriors and the first Best Picture Oscar winner, Wings, it was announced today by Tom Karsch, executive vice president and general manager of TCM and Turner South. The titles from this deal will begin airing in 2008 in the United States and Canada.

Other films included in the agreement are Ferris Bueller?s Day Off, Days of Heaven, Airplane!, Atlantic City, Bang the Drum Slowly, Barbarella, Downhill Racer, The Fabulous Dorseys, The File on Thelma Jordan, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Gunfight at the OK Corral, High School Confidential, Li?l Abner, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Red Pony, Save the Tiger, Targets, Union Station, Zulu and several movies starring Elvis Presley.

The deal also secured re-licensing of several films, including Sunset Boulevard, The Devil and Miss Jones and The African Queen.

?Viewers know they can rely on TCM to provide the best features and best performances from cinematic history,? said Karsch. ?This deal represents another important step in our ongoing commitment to secure the widest variety of classic movie programming available.?

Turner Classic Movies, currently seen in more than 70 million homes, is a 24-hour cable network from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company. TCM presents the greatest motion pictures of all time from the largest film library in the world, the combined Time Warner and Turner film libraries, from the ?20s through the ?80s, commercial-free and without interruption. More information is available at the TCM Web site at www.turnerclassicmovies.com.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, is a major producer of news and entertainment product around the world and the leading provider of programming for the basic cable industry.

The press release mentions 25 of the 100 new titles, which range from 1927 to 1986. (The oldest title after Wings [1927] is from 1947.) The median production year for the named titles is 1964.

I'm sure everyone can quibble with specific titles (The Warriors? Seriously?). And I'm sure this will be seen as evidence of the movies getting more and more modern. But surely this is only one part of the TCM programming strategy -- to automatically assume that this purchase is exactly typical of where TCM is headed would be like if I assumed that you ate nothing but ice cream because I saw you at Baskin Robbins once.

However, there does seem to be plenty of evidence here that TCM has long-term plans that -- while everyone may not agree with them -- are quite different from what AMC or anyone else is doing.

> Kaplan,

>

> I wonder if TCM can then rent the more modern films

> to other Turner channels such as TNT and TBS as well

> as othr movie channels?

>

> Lynn in Sherman Oaks

Probably not. They would have to make their own licensing deals with Paramount. Of course, neither TNT nor TBS runs that many movies these days, and when they do it's usually something very recent, that has just finished playing its pay-cable exclusive. Both stations air mostly re-runs of old TV shows. TNT in particular is the Law & Order channel -- all L&O, all the time.

As far as a year-oriented analysis of the movies, bear in mind that Paramount does not now own the movies it produced between about 1929 and 1949. These were all sold off to Universal, more than 50 years ago. So a chronological arrangement will be very definitely skewed.

On the other hand, Paramount has acquired some other studio libraries, particularly that of Republic, as well as a number of independent movies that were originally released by other studios, such as The Fabulous Dorseys (UA) and High School Confidential (MGM). I'm very much looking forward to the latter, with footage of Jerry Lee.

Turner Classic Movies Acquires More Than 100 Paramount Pictures Titles

The Stepford Wives, Shane, Breakfast at Tiffany?s and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Among Titles Obtained by TCM>>

I'm confused. How did Paramount acquire the rights from 20th Century Fox for Butch Cassidy?

From lzcutter:

I wonder if TCM can then rent the more modern films to other Turner channels such as TNT and TBS as well as othr movie channels?

I hadn't thought of that, but it seems like it would make sense for the Turner networks to make that arrangement in the licensing deal.

From bollywood101:

As far as a year-oriented analysis of the movies, bear in mind that Paramount does not now own the movies it produced between about 1929 and 1949. These were all sold off to Universal, more than 50 years ago. So a chronological arrangement will be very definitely skewed.

Ah. I thought I'd read that on one of these boards, but I wasn't sure of the details. I figured if that was the case, someone would come along soon enough to clarify. Thanks!

What's wrong with Jon Stewart?

I think he's hilarious. But then, I'm a firm believer in learning to laugh at ourselves...and to not take ourselves too seriously. Something we've been doing WAY too much of for WAY too long.

And I DON'T think you have to hate Jon Stewart in order to be patriotic either. ;)

Some of these films are good news indeed. Shane, Gunfight at OK Corral, and I've always wanted to see Wings. However, I'm waiting with bated breath to see Barbarella *sarcasm intended*, and more Elvis movies..........maybe the Osmonds really will be next. I will reserve judgment, though, because I can't see TCM letting us down on a continual basis.

Actually, I don't mind the Elvis films. They are kind of a guilty pleasure. I guess all of us appreciate classics, but somewhere hide a stash of guilty pleasure movies. I was born in '55, so I was exposed to the Elvis films in the Sixties as a kid. Ha ha, if they devoted a Saturday afternoon to the kid inside me, it would be an Elvis movie, a Beach movie, and The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.

While I'm not much for "newer" films on TCM, I'd really like to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I haven't seen it for years, and even then it was full screen and full of commercials. I was looking forward to The Sting the other night..but I forgot it was on.

I'm 99% sure that Paramount did not sell "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" as part of the recent deal with TCM.

"Butch Cassidy" was/is a 20th Century Fox film if memory serves me correctly and according to the DVD I have, it has a Fox label,logo, etc on it. No mention of Paramount.

So, unless I am missing something (and surely someone wll let me know if I am), Fox still owns "Butch Cassidy".

TCM ran Butch in 11/02, as part of its "Every Great Western (except Shane)" program. And yes, it is a 20th release, which made so much money for the studio I'm pretty darned sure Murdoch has no plans to sell it off. (Butch and Sundance: The Early Years, a disappointing prequel, was also a Fox picture.)

Of the other movies named in the press release, I don' t think Para owns Zulu, either -- the US rights for that seem to belong to Sony, via its acquisition of MGM/UA. (Zulu was originally released by Embassy, which MGM absorbed, post-Turner, and the only legit DVD version of it seems to be the one on the MGM/UA label, which I got for Xmas in '03. You can find several PD label reissues, all evidently coming from a 1.33 TV print.)

TCM rarely runs anything from Fox -- the Gregory Peck SOTM salute of about '01 was an exception, and there were a couple of good Fox westerns (the other was My Darling Clementine) that were evidently leased for one airing only. Of course, Fox has a movie channel of its own, so they may not be anxious to license their movies to competitors.

NB, the monthly guide noted Gunfight at the O K Corral as the "other" great western they couldn't get, back in '02. Now that TCM seems to have rights to both of the exceptions,I think it may be time to do a new version of that month-long westerns feature! (But this time, please try to get McCabe and Mrs Miller, if the archivists at WB will let it out for a nice uncut, 2.35 airing.)

The deal is, I think that Jon Stewart takes himself too seriously. He's gotten the idea that he's some kind of political pundit or something who should be taken seriously.

And I DON'T think you have to hate Jon Stewart in order to be patriotic either.

But it helpsROFL.gif

sarcasm.gif

mrsmel.jpg

Message was edited by:Me!

Melanie

I do find Jon Stewart funny, but yeah at times he takes himself too seriously. Like Bill Maher, he omits facts to customize his political jokes, which can be damaging since a great deal of his/their audience is going to be naive enough to think that the joke is based solely on fact.

I find it hilarious (and scary) that so many people get they're news from late night entertainment. It's a comedy show, more exactly "The Daily Show", not the "The Daily News Show" it's purpose , other than entertainment, is to satirize. That's why I watch. A smarter version of SNL's "Weekend Update". "The Daily Show" at its best is silly and smart like the british show, "Not the Nine O'Clock News".

People shouldn't be surprised at lack of balance and depth from a comedy show on a station named "Comedy Central". Afterall, we wouldn't expect to nourish ourselves by yelling into a plastic clown's head from our car -- oh, wait I'm eating an Egg McMuffin right now.