Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stewart, regardless of his views, doesn't degrade guests and has a good political balance in his choice of guests, and treats them well while still having fun with them. Yeah, it is a smarter version of SNL news ... except when Dennis Miller used to be on there.

I find it scary that anyone gets their news from any form of entertainment.

Message was edited by:

MattHelm

bollywood101's post sent me scurrying to my DVD shelf to check out my copy of "Zulu" Luckily, it is indeed the MGM widescreen version. McCabe and Mrs. Miller is an excellent anti-western. I can see the influence that it had on HBO's "Deadwood". The scene in which Keith Carradine is murdered is almost too real.

I agree Matt.

I watch Jon Stewart all the time (and no, I don't count that show as a 'news source'), and I also think he shows all of his guests the utmost courtesy. In the past few months, I've seen him interview Jimmy Carter and I've seen him interview John McCain, among others (those examples are meant to illustrate one prominent person from each side of the aisle - not an exhaustive listing of political guests). And he acted exactly alike toward each of them.

When he puts clips from individuals in congress on to make fun of them, I've seen both Republicans and Democrats being made fun of. One recent segment, "Battle of the Coots", featured one Democrat and one Republican, each making outlandish remarks - as you'd expect from an 'old coot'. I thought it was hilarious.

Now it's true that he takes shots at Dubya. But Dubya is the President, after all. And ALL of these latenight talkshow guys take shots at the President, WHOEVER that may be at any given moment. Right now, it is Dubya. But the same group took shots at Clinton too. It's not partisanship as much as it is their JOBS as latenight talkshow hosts to make fun of the President.

Now really, if anyone out there seriously takes Jon Stewart as an authoritative source of news, then it's certainly not Jon Stewart's fault. The first 20 minutes of his show have one clear goal - to make people laugh. The last 10 minutes might be more serious, but I've seen him make jokes during that as well. In my view, that is not setting one's self up as an authoritative source of news, any more than Jay Leno's political jokes make *him* into a self-described pundit.

But you know, it's all a moot point anyway, isn't it? Because if there are people out there who are too stupid to tell a joke from a serious news story, then they no doubt wouldn't understand the REAL news in any event.

I think a good example though, of one host who can't rise above his politics is Letterman. I was almost embarrassed for him when he dropped the fun host mantle and verbally attacked Bill O'Reilley on his show. O'Reilley actually kept it light which made Letterman look real bad, and stole his applause from him. The he provided Dave with a window to segue back into a jovial end to the segment. He basically rescued him from making himself look worse. Leno must have loved that.

Benji and The Sea Hawk on the same night! What a couple of classics. Oh, wait. I mean, what a piece of doggie doo-doo and a real classic!

Oscar month is the TCM equivalent of a trip to the dentist; it's something to be gotten through. Though, unlike the dentist, it's not good for you.

My guess is that TCM tries to use the "excuse" of Oscar month as a way to run crappy modern films which they hope will bring in more viewers, while, at the same time, not totally alienating their core audience.

In the meantime, we'll tape the good stuff that's on overnight...and pray that the month is over quickly...

Ron

I didn't say that I take Jon Stewart seriously, I said that he takes himself seriously-probably not on his show,but I wouldn't know,because I don't get my news from television period,much less a comedy show. I've seen in interviews where he pontificated on matters in which he displayed a very shallow(as would be expected from a comedian) knowledge of issues-basically,a "slogan" knowledge. But that's how it is today-celebrities in the entertainment field setting themselves up as people anyone should give the least bit of credence to,when it comes to politcal matters. As I said in a previous post,I don't even get any of my news from television-I would consider it stupid to do so,as all television news shows have a political agenda while pretending not to.At least most internet political sites are open about any bias or leanings,which leaves you free to take it as you prefer.

BiteMe33.jpg

I don't bother with most TV news either, it's like "(blank) on a bull." Everything you need to know that happens is conveniently on the Drudge Report site, and the many blogs that look past the superficiality of the agenda driven mainstream media.

I don't think having Jon Stewart host the Oscars is going to help its already doomed ratings, since most over 30 either don't know who he is or just don't care.

> Melanie,How do you know my ISP?

> Is Big Sister

watching?

> vallo

if I told ya I'd have ta kill yabump_pistol.gif

Seriously-I don't know your ISP,net address,etc. It shows that of the person's computer who's looking at it. You can make and download one from www.danasoft.com for yourself.They're kinda fun

mrsmel.jpg

Melanie2_ani.gif

Hi Stoneyburke -

Sorry I took so long. I really wasn't parodying AMC or inferring that Anime is crap. To me, an actor, AMC has always been "All My Children." I've never seen the AMC channel (or many of the others mentioned on these boards), so I can't compare it to TCM. As for Anime, we don't get it on TCM over here - I don't know why, probably too sophisticated for the Asians - so I have no idea what it is.

According to many on this thread, I will be among the few watching (and looking forward to) the Academy Awards next month. Too bad - we won't be able to discuss them here, will we? But that won't stop some people from commenting, will it?. In spite of Jon Stewart, I'll be there with my nachos and milk-duds and hot-buttered popcorn (and a big diet Pepsi)! I can hardly wait.

Aren't these threads getting pretty? Unreadable, but sure flowery!

"I think it's spinach and I say to hell with it"

Ralph

At least stoney & I agree on the Stewart thing. And he is a bright man and quick on his feet. Oh & BTW I'm over 50 and my cousin who's 70 loves him too so he not only appeals to those under 30.

And, MattHelm--you can't tell me O'Lielly & Drudge don't have an agenda either.

And what about those celebrities like Schwarnegger, Duvall & Ron Silver, who happen to agree with you. I haven't seen anywhere on these boards where you find them annoying or out of their depth. So just stop it, please. I'm begging you.

I do agree with Melanie on one thing. The whole awards thing & the actors do tend to take themselves seriously. But Stewart is not one of them. I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you he doesn't. Of course, you've never watched the show so you're just going by what Rush Limbaugh (aka Lonesome Rhodes in A Face in the Crowd) is telling you.

Golly, you people are some of the most unhappy posters I've ever seen on a movie message board. You folks would be right at home on IMDB.com message boards.

I don't go by Rush Limbaughy either-as I said,I get my news from the Internet-hard news and breaking news from places such as Yahoo,etc,that just report the news w/o any editorialising,then I have certain websites that I go to for more depth and detail. Many of the websites that I go to lean one way or the other politically,but they are open and upfront about it,and by having more than one source,and having sources from across the spectrum,I feel that I get the "truth in the middle" in the end. Broadcast news,and cable news for that matter,are politically biased while pretending to be objective news sources.That's maddening,and frustrating,and hypocritical.

And I don't pay attention to celebrities of any political stripe when it comes to deciding things political-all they have are opinions,I can have that w/o any help,and they are generally no more informed,in many cases less informed,than I am-why would I pay attention to what any celebrity,of whatever political persuasion, says to decide a political issue???

BiteMe33.jpg

Helen, a lot of people are either conservative, independent or liberal, but that doesn't mean they have an agenda. I can give you examples all day long of mainstream media's liberal bias agenda that's based on evidence. Can you back up your pun on O'Reilly's name and give an example of one instance where he's lied (don't embarrass yourself with the Franken accusations, they've been proven false)? Or an example of where his agenda lies? What's rare in the world of journalism is that he admits his mistakes asap when he's wrong. Dan Rather still hasn't. There's one thing I find a lot of liberally minded people don't get ... there's a difference between reporting opinionated, biased news and passing it off as fact, and having a show that's based on opinions. Reporters are supposed to report the facts, not their ideological opinion; analysts opine ... get it? Drudge may be a conservative, but if you can point out an agenda on his nonpartisan site (drudgereport.com), which is all that I mentioned of him, feel free. You accuse Melanie of getting her info on Stewart second hand through Limbaugh, but you illustrate that you get yours that way about the above mentioned people. That reminds me of the Letterman show where he told O'Reilly that 60% of what he says is crap ... O'Reilly aksed him for an example to back up the accusation ... Letterman said he couldn't because he doesn't watch the show. Typical.

I don't see why you're obsessed with my not mentioning everyone under the sun. I don't find any of those you mentioned annoying because they're not in-your-face idiots. I'm amazed you don't understand the difference between behavior and ideology, even after I listed conservatives that I find annoying. I'm sorry they're not the names your after. When was it that Duvall interrupted a cancer benefit to soapbox his views? What funeral did Ron Silver disrespect the dead to attack his political enenmies? Get it?

That's good that you watch Jon Stewart, but I never said that he only appeals to those under 30 (one word ... bifocals). I said that most over 30 either don't know who he is or just don't watch him. It's common sense that Comedy Central's core audience is of a younger age demographic.

I don't see why you're begging me, if you look back at all the posts, I never once started a political discussion, only responded to or joined in them. I think it was you who started it ... No?

Who's unhappy? As I said in the beginning of this thread,I disagree with TCM's programming of anime in primetime last month,while pre-empting some of the Robert Montgomery movies,and their programming of all these "modern classics" under the umbrella of "30 Days Of Oscar" this month.So right now I'm not watching. I'll be watching again when they get back to their regularly scheduled programming of true classics.Until then,I'm having fun posting heremonopoly_dog_2.gif

BiteMe33.jpg

As I said in my previous post,I don't watch Jon Stewart's show-that has more to do with the fact that I don't watch much television period,except for PBS's "Mystery!", History International,and of course TCM,than that I'm strictly avoiding him. I am able to have the opinion that I believe he takes himself seriously as a political pundit,due to some interviews I've seen with him on other shows,and he wasn't being comedic.he was offering his "serious" opinion on some political issues. I am perfectly able to form an informed opinion that he takes himself seriously as a political pundit from those interviews.

Not that I have anything against Rush Limbaugh,but I don't listen to his show. I just don't ever think of it.So I don't see how I could be getting my political information from him.

I read articles-both hard news and editorial opinion-on the internet,which gives me a wide variety of sources from which to form my beliefs and opinions for myself. If something important is happening in Congress,(re:the Alito vote),I watch CSPAN. I don't know where anyone got the assumption that I get my news from Rush Limbaugh(not that he ever claimed to be news,he openly says that he is political opinion-editorial).I don't watch Bill O'Rielly-I don't care for shows where people showboat(both him and his guests). I don't learn anything from all that shouting and tunnel vision. I read various sources,and form my own opinion.

BiteMe33.jpg

Yeah, you were pretty articulate in stating your opinion of Stewart and his taking himself seriously as a pundit, outside his show. I think it's the blindness of ideology that caused some to just assume you were rehashing Limbaugh's talking points. Some may be shocked to find that I don't listen to Limbaugh (other than when I'm in traffic since I don't get much of an option of nonmusic stations here). Nothing against him, but I'm not into political soliloquies. I'd rather hear debates on issues by knowledgeable people and see who's the best informed.

I watch O'Reilly and Hannity & Colmes sometimes because I think it's important to get both sides of the issues. Also, they're the only shows you'll see where they take on judges who give child rapists slaps on the wrists, and expose them. They cover stories like towns using eminent domain to take peoples' homes away to put up condos ... sometimes the victims' appearances on the show leads to a reversal of the decisions because of the publicity. You won't see that anywhere else.

But I prefer to read too, because other sources are doing the same thing and can go deeper into issues than a TV show can.

Thank you Matt. One of the few news/opinion shows that I watch is the round table with Brit Hume,Fred Barnes,Mort Kondracke,and usually either Juan Williams or the lady whose name I can't think of right now(Mora Liasom? or something like that). Brit Hume is a very thoughtful man,he allows the others to talk,and the show rarely descends into screaming talking points over each other(except Juan Williams sometimes,but Brit rarely lets him get away with it-he will press people to answer the question). I used to watch the McLaughlin Group,but Eleanor Clift makes my teeth hurt-no matter whose turn it is to talk,she interrupts and shouts over them,as if volume and repetition makes her "win" the debate,rather than being correct and informed on the facts. I like Tony Snow,but I think my all-time favorite political pundit is Tony Blankley. He is one smart man,and I think it's amusing the way when other guests start their usual shouting matches,he just sits back with this indulgent look on his face like "oh well never mind trying to have an informed exchange of ideas,it's American teevee,we must entertain",LOL. He has a great column in the Washington Times.

Melanie2_ani.gif