Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I think the part that bothers me the most about the anti-christmas folks is their lack of percspective...I mean with so many other more important things to be concerned about why get your drawers in a bunch over the fact, as you point out, most folks in this country are inclined toward Christmas celebrations and what harm does it really do? When I was a kid I loved making Christmas decorations in art classes...it wasn't really a religious thing-it was just fun and colorful!

The emegence of antisemitism in the 20th century is a little more complicated-the seeds were sown long ago in Europe. But you are right that the passing away of the Judeau-Christian "conscience" allowed unspeakable things to be unleashed in our time. Anitsemitism wasn't new but it certainly took on a new and awful manifestation.

Well, have a great week! I am on my way out west to see the cattle back home.

The end is near?

On Saturday TBS was showing "Back to the Future" (ugh) pan and scanned with lots of commercials. Turn to Turner Classic Movies and you'd find the same damn movie. Now that's something to be concerned about.

Saw your comments about Thanksgiving on the other thread...I'm not sure how religious it REALLY is...like someone else noted the celebration is more of a generic almost secular event for many people. While historically religious, and the concept is religious simply in that giving thanks implies there is someone (other than your neighbors and kin as modern pc/liberal revisionists would lead us to believe) to be giving thanks to...dare one say it? "god" gasp! One side of my family makes it religious by saying Grace before the meal but there's no church going and no trees; just turkeys, cornucopias and mums. The other side of my family consecrates the day (and the three following) to feasting, swilling and football. Friday night they convene their annual meeting of DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers!) So there you have it in one family the religious and secular understanding of Thanksgiving. Needless my mother's family looks down their blue noses at my dad's family and his family thinks hers a bunch of prigs with an icesicle stuck up you know where.

I really would like to see what my ranchin, drinkin, tobacco spittin uncles and cousins would make of "Brokeback Mountain" but I don't think any of them have seen a movie since the drive in dried up and blew away...15-20 years ago...they do have satellite but movies kind of exceed their span of attention. I love them dearly and all but you just don't talk movie trivia with them...Uncle Stan thinks the Olympics (summer or winter) are for sissies...and there's way too much mixing of the races and cultures going on to be healthy. They are republicans who loathe the Christian right wing (but appreciate their vote for the right party) Don't think about abortion one way or another because you marry whoever you knock up and make the best of it till death do you part. Think artificial insemination is fine because they've been doing it for years with cattle...but can't figure out why anyone, even a "lesie," would want to get pregnant that way. In other words they are WAY more fun than the part of my family that is religous and pious a celebrate Thanksgiving "correctly".

Didn't mean to get off on a tangent but THEY are what the holidays mean to me. And yes they have a Christmas tree and all the trimmings but they haven't stepped in a church except for weddings and funerals for decades.

Which is worse the political correctness of the last 20 years or the religious correctness coming to us soon?

I think I hate them both...sigh...good night and good luck all you TCMers!

That's like asking someone what they'd prefer, hunting with Dick Cheney, or going for a drive with Ted Kennedy.

That one is so good I'm sending to evryone I know!

Thanks for the biggest belly laugh I've had in days!

I have relatives in Texas they love "Aggie" joke like:

Texas Aggies are so slow it takes them and hour and a half to watch "60 Minutes"

And my favortie "Blonde" joke...

Why do blondes talk the way they do?

So men can understand them.

Night!

lets all be logical...does anyone know the total number of movies made...there are people that only listen to 70's music, there people that only listen to 80's music....and hip hop....and soul........and pop...country..........classical.....i love good movies. that does not only mean old movies...mostly it does, i believe........but not always. i am so greatful that tcm exists. i am 34 years old and have been watching tcm for years. nobody in my circle knows anything before "ET", or "Star Wars". some of these folks might get the hook off a movie like "tootsie" to be able to appreciate "i was a male order bride". movies are like literature, once you get the idea then you can appreciate the next one. it only takes one good movie to hook you into loving the genre. please be patient. times will always keep changing...appreciate the diversity and be thankful you dont have any commercial interuptions

MattHelm:

Come on! I love the Cheney/Kennedy joke too. But give credit where credit is due. It came from Jay Leno who said, "What a nightmare I had last night... I dreamed I was at a Washington party and I had to choose between Dick Cheney taking me on a hunting trip or Ted Kennedy driving me home."

I figured everyone heard that by now, but I didn't know it started with Leno. Actualy, a friend and I came up with it on our own before we heard of it, because we commented on how they're trying to make this the new Chappaquidick. The joke was the next obvious step. Then I saw it on a t-shirt online the next day. I think put in my context as a question is a good way to convert Democrats.

Just shows to go ya how fast things travel nowadays-from Leno to a T-Shirt in a few days...I like it best where it is presented as the choice of two equally awful choices since I despise Dick and Ted equally. Despise Democrats and Republicans equally...and since the "end is near"...How about "Dick and Ted's Excellent Adventure" driving the backroads of Texas and the drunken duo trying to shoot game from the road? They get lost and in an homage to "Twilight Zone" find themselves driving aimlessly from one movie set of a movie set in Texas to another trying to find their way home...what movies would they drive into?