Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actual Initials...I think Ted needs to drive it adds to the dramatic tension since the car is almost (ala Stephen King) irresistably drawn toward bridge railings and deep bodies of water. Hmmm. How was it Ben Afleck and Matt Damon didn't get to make "Brokeback Mountain" seems like a natural fit for them...hehehe.

I think Ted needs to drive it adds to the dramatic tension since the car is almost (ala Stephen King) irresistably drawn toward bridge railings and deep bodies of water.

If Ted drives, it's more like a la Kenneth Grahame ... Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Speaking of Stephen King, if Ted's on the loose, I hope he's not out for another walk at night.

How was it Ben Afleck and Matt Damon didn't get to make "Brokeback Mountain" seems like a natural fit for them...hehehe.

Probably wasn't enough dough involved to "grease their pockets."

Bye Bye Birdie, again??!!! Programming is getting as bad as it can get. Why is Time Warner determined to play these titles. Are they trying to sell more of these titles at the store? Forget it!. And another thing, TCM continues to blast their commericals for their Silent Film Score contest--but they don't want to be caught dead running a silent movie this month on prime time. This is really hypocritical.

I don't think I can stand anymore of this Academy Award month--looks like we are left with the worst of the Academy instead of the best. Are the programmers aware that the Oscars have been given out since 1927? Come on TCM, show some vintage titles--PLEASE!??!!

Pathposter

Los Angeles

And how many times are they going to run "Karate Kid" and only during primetime? They are really pushing that movie for some reason. I think it will be three months in a row. Is there something about that movie, as well the "China Syndrome" and "Sleepless in Seattle" that is supposed to appeal to lovers of classic films? TCMs primetime showings seem to be repeated month after month after month. I fully agree that they are giving us the worst of the academy rather than the best. How many of the modern movies have they shown that have won anything major? For instance, the "Karate Kid" was nominated for best supporting actor, but lost, so why the multiple showings? How about the other night when TCM and TBS were both running "Back to the Future" at the same time? Is there anyone that wants to see "Airport" on the schedule month after month? I know there are some on this forum that are handy with the numbers of films shown by decade for any given year, how about a similar report on the repeats? Another thing, everybody is slapping TCM on the back for their clever linkage of all the movies on their February schedule. It is obvious that they simply took "The Karate Kid", "Sleepless In Seattle"and "China Syndrome" and simply worked backwards, knowing full well that once they got to "Airport" that the rest would be easy as everybody is in that movie.

Fred & Matt,

I love you guys!

I wish they would show more of the titles that aren't available on video/dvd.

I'm still debating over getting cable or not. There are too many movies I have that I haven't watched. Doesn't seem right to tape more of them before I watch what I have.

Constarkel, that's not quite accurate. "The Karate Kid" played once in January at 10PM ET and once in February at 8PM ET (not 3 months in a row); "The China Syndrome" played at 8PM in January and 2:15 AM in February, and hadn't played at all since last February at 12:15 AM; "Sleepless in Seattle" played twice in all of 2005 and over a 5 year period has played a total of 10 times. "Airport" is, in fact, 3 months in a row (Jan. at 12:30 AM, Feb. at 10PM and March at 1:30 PM) - all at different times, which is something we pay attention to when putting the schedule together. But, it will definitely be off of the schedule for a while after that. I should say, though, that overall we play many, many more movies than any other network and show far fewer repeats (even if it seems like "Sleepless in Seattle" is always on, it really isn't). It's a good point about working towards "Airport," however, as that was a particularly easy film to connect.

Pathposter - we did, in fact, run a silent movie this month in primetime ("Sunrise"); and we ran silent movies in primetime in January (an entire night built around the Young Film Composers competition); and we have a night in May of never-before-on-television Rudolph Valentino movies in primetime. And, of course, we have Silent Sunday nights every Sunday at midnight (ET). On "Bye, Bye Birdie," we licensed a 3 month window from Sony on that title, and played it once per month (Jan., Feb., March) at different times during the day (10AM, 12:30 AM, 8PM).

Hi TCM Programmer,

Thank you for all the programming that you do. I have no problems with any of it.

I'm just glad we finally have TCM in Canada.

As they say at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas: "Have a grand day!"...

Larry

TCMprogrammr, Thank you for correcting me. Its nice to know that you are interested in what we have to say, both pro and con.

I think tcmprogrammer just told you "Tough!" in so many words. I don't think they get that Sleepless in Seattle ten times in five years is ten times too many. Ditto for the other movies you mentioned. Thank God they don't give out Oscars for Best Prop, or Best Coughing Fit in a movie, who knows what would end up on TCM then.

No Matt, I don't have cable. I have dial-up modem too! LOL

I check the TCM schedule for movies/actors I'd like to see, then a friend of mine who has cable tapes them for me to view later. I have so many movies in my collection that I haven't watched yet. I debate getting cable on a weekly basis!

No, I don't peer at my neighbors....LOL They are so noisy, I already know what they are doing!

Matt,

I would prefer quiet, like it used to be. Had a "frat boy" move in next door from NY, who "saw my light on, and wanted to introduce himself". It was after midnight...he likes to say "dude" alot.

Are you like Raymond Burr? ****

In defense of TCM in answer to the post a little down the list about TCM not running silents during Oscar month, it seems obvious why they are not. The Academy began giving awards on 1927, just when sound was coming in. So there will probably be very few of the silents that managed to get a nom during their remaining days that would be in the TCM library. And the rule of the month is that TCM is running ONLY Oscar-nominated movies. So, they can't run anything prior to the first Awards.

No, more like Jimmy Stewart, without the stutter. I'm in no danger of late night visits, I think everyone in my neighborhood is in bed by 9 PM. But in the day time if I'm on my screened in porch, they think I'm out there just praying for someone to talk to. I feed these Sand Hill Cranes that drop by once in a while, so that they linger around my yard and keep people away.