Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Matt, I think that former sweathog Ron Palillo (Horshack) has a new career as one of folks commenting during any of those endless VH1 or E! specials like I Love the (insert decade) or the 100 craziest sitcom characters, etc.

Maybe Gabe Kaplan is looking for a gig, though. I always wondered what happened to him until I watched a Kotter rerun recently. Yikes. He's really not a very good actor.

Now, Rodney Allen Rippey--that dude needs a comeback!

Sandy K

Oh, man, I wish that TV Land or the Game Show network would show some vintage Hollywood Squares reruns! They are HILARIOUS. I love Paul Lynde--he was so quick on the draw. Too bad that he was so unhappy in his personal life.

Sandy K

Paul Lynde ... even years later when I learned what gay was, it was some time later that I was watching a syndicated Bewitched when it hit me for the first time that he was gay. Then I tried to remember what other TV actors that were obviously gay back then and the only one I could think of was Rip Taylor.

The Hollywood Squares back then was like a vertical Dean Martin Roast, without the smoking and drinking.

Yes, Rip Taylor--I used to love the $1.98 Beauty Pageant that he hosted. So campy. I didn't know what gay was either growing up in the 1970's. I just knew that I liked lots of campy, funny stuff. I finally figured it out when a dear friend of mine came out. He was the first gay person that I knew, and then, of course, I realized as an adult that I knew LOTS of gays and lesbians--people just couldn't be as open about it back then.

But, back to Hollywood Squares--remember Charley Weaver? And George Gobel? Racking my brain now trying to think of who the other regulars were! Oh, yes, and Zsa Zsa!

Sandy K

I knew Rip Taylor from Sigmund and the Sea Monsters. I thought Charley Weaver was the Colonel from KFC when I was a kid. There's a great number that Sinatra, Dino and Bing sing called Together on one of Sinatra's TV shows in '58, where Bing mentions Weaver jokingly. It's on the Sinatra Classic Duets DVD.

sandykaypax,

Wasn't Marlon Brando's best buddy, "Wally Cox", one of the 'old' "Hollywood Squares" gang?

BTW: The "Marlon Brando/Wally Cox's ashes" (if true) is one strange Hollywood story.

Rusty

sandykaypax,

Oh yeah...wasn't another of the 'old' gang...Professor....something, or another...Irwin Corey?!

And I didn't even have to look the Prof up! My "daytime game show" memory circuits are re-energized.

Rusty

I believe Charro was kind of a regular on there ... one episode is stuck in my mind where she was explaining breast exercises, and while she demonstrated the exercise she recited, "I must, I must, develope my bust!"

Dinner For Five is a weekly show on IFC, where the actor/director John Favreau has dinner with four other actors/directors and they talk about movies they were in, or just movies in general. Lidsville was an awful kid's show in the early 70s produced by Syd & Marty Kroft, that Reilly starred in. I loved it when I was a kid, but when TVLand played a few episodes of it a year ago, I couldn't get over how bad it was.

Oh, yeah, Lidsville was BAD! But I had no taste as a kid--I watched it! It came on right after H.R. Pufnstuff for an hour-long kiddie acid trip! LOL! If you ever listen to the original Broadway cast recording of Hello, Dolly!, Charles Nelson Reilly gives a great vocal performance. Seriously, way better than Michael Crawford in the film version.

Rusty, what is the Brando/Wally Cox ashes story? It sounds vaguely familiar...

Sandy K

sandykaypax,

Quote:

"Rusty, what is the Brando/Wally Cox ashes story?"

I just talked with my wife about where we had heard the story. It was not all that long ago. I think it was one of those A&E "Biography" shows about Brando.

Anyway. Marlon Brando and Wally Cox had been roomates at the start of both their show biz careers. Marlon considered Wally his best (hell...maybe his only) friend. Wally Cox's remains were cremated and at Wally's funeral Brando grabbed Wally's urn from Wally's widow and would not give the thing back (to the family)! Wally's family tried for years to get what was left of Wally back...Marlon refused! I think after Brando's death, Wally's ashes were given to the family.

As I remember, the story got even stranger...something about Brando talking to the urn, but I am not sure if the "talking to dead Wally" story is true.

Rusty

I used to think Lidsville came before Pufnstuf, then found out that Pufnstuf was first. The reason I thought this is because look at the sets in Lidsville, they look like an elementary school play sets, where Pufnstuf is a class act as far as budget goes. Reilly recalled that all his lines were just him screaming at the guys in hat suits.

• 10 months later...

> A reminder of a post by Path with data about 31

> Days of Oscar. Note the 1940s.

>

> Some more data which may be of interest (though facts

> usually get in the way of a good rant;-) is this

> comparison between last year's 31 Days of Oscar and

> this year's 31 Days of Oscar "month":

>

> Films shown from the

> ...................February 2005.....February 2006

> 1920's...............5........................1

> 1930's.............63.......................58

> 1940's.............93.....................130!

> 1950's.............59.......................74

> 1960's.............59.......................46

> 1970's.............23.......................24

> 1980 & later....27........................19

>

I brought up this old thread so that otterhere could have some more evidence about the number of old vs. newer films on TCM. Hope it helps. Note that this thread was started approximately 1 year ago.

Sandy K

I can't believe this thread got to 470 replies! THAT is a telling bit of evidence about these boards lately.

470 replies to a thread in 40 days! I don't think we have hit numbers like that around here in a long time - "Who Are We All" and "Seen Any Good Movies Lately" notwithstanding.

Ah yes, I remember it well.

Kyle In Hollywood