Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

The End Is Near

While I think the average TCM viewer (or at least those who have expressed their opinions on these boards during the 2 1/2 plus years that I've been participating here) would agree that getting to see films, including the classics, from the studio era is the reason that they tune in to watch the channel on a regular basis, I don't take it personally nor do I get particularly upset when TCM tries to attract an even larger audience to their channel during their annual 31 Days of Oscar "month". In fact, I've quite enjoyed some of the newer films I've seen (e.g Quiz Show (1994)) uncut and commercial free during that time.

Your post which began this thread is a mixed bag. It includes several films which have received wide acclaim regardless of your personal opinion, many are undeniably classics (like it or not;-) I'm sure there are a lot of films from the studio era which you don't like too, but you seem to accept them as "classics" nonetheless. So you see, the definition itself is a moving target, one which is frequently defined by individuals (such as yourself). TCM shows A LOT of B movies and other films which received no such acclaim or recognition, some are great, some are good, some are bad, and some are awful (I know, I watch A LOT of these more obscure films on purpose!).

When tcmprogrammer & staff decide to air something which doesn't fit your definition of what they should be showing, change the channel. No one said you had to watch every movie they show. But many years ago, when I first started watching (the old) AMC and TCM, I had a very narrow viewpoint of what films were great and which could be called classics etc.. After the past 5 years or more of watching TCM rather religiously, I can honestly say that my opinions have changed a great deal. For instance, I now like silent films. I love B Westerns. Thanks to TCM I've seen more foreign films too. I've gotten to "know" so many actors and actresses names I'd never heard before and/or used to "hate" because I'd seen only a couple of their films.

So while I didn't look for TCM to "broaden my horizons", it has ... when I've allowed it;-) And for that, I'll be forever grateful. OTOH, when they show something I'm not interested in seeing, I change the channel.

For you, and others of like opinion, turn off the cable and rent dozens of films from Netflix, your library, or your local video store (if you've got a good one) if you don't think there are any classics to choose from within the 360 films TCM will be showing next "month". And, give these boards a rest too ... I mean, 175+ posts in 20 days?

Iz, I understand where your coming from since I had TCM since its inseption, when I lived in New York. 31 Days of Oscar has always been a favorite time of year for me, and with the exception of a minute few 'newer' Oscar winners, which are by no means 'cheap', I tend to enjoy the 350 other movies (many classics) that TCM offers during that month. It's just movie heaven.

And Ralph, thanks for thumbs-up.

Hey mongo ---

Whaddya think: shouldn't the title of the original post have been something like The answer, my friend, is peein' in the wind? :P

Gotta hand it to the original poster though, never has a username been more accurately chosen, given the dead-on similarity to the neurosis of the referenced character.

B-)

You took the words right out of my fingers, path, specifically, "When tcmprogrammer & staff decide to air something which doesn't fit your definition of what they should be showing, change the channel." Not exactly as I was going to write it but precisely my sentiment. There's several others threads wherein you should post the same.

It is sad that I have to change the channel so frequently as of late. TCM is my favorite channel and I would like to be able to continue to turn to them for the old, classic, mostly black and white movies for many years to come.

I realize there are B movies from all eras, but the older ones are more interesting and contain better acting than the majority of newer movies - in my opinion.

I don't think we need to start making derogatory comments on usernames, just because you don't agree with the poster. This should be a friendly atmosphere.

Fred-

I too am afraid of TCM turning into AMC. I agree that these films hardly live up to TCM's standards. I have seen others recently that have raised my eye brows. Lets hope that TCM will head the warnings of its biggest fans and not take this "contemp classic" idea too far. TCM is great as it is. Why should we want to change it?

Making me a guest programmer would be nice though. LOL!

Message was edited by:

XBergmanX

No, see, this isn't a Leo tirade of 'I hate Silents, all Silents, and I think they should be burned'.

No, I don't want to change the channel. I WILL change the channel when the Anime crap is on, but I don't WANT to have to change the channel.

All you who think this CHANGE in TCM is the greatest thing since sliced bread have no more weight to your arguments than we who hate the Anime crap do. Both points are valid, both point to the fact that TCM is changing. Dumbing down in our opinion, changing for the better in yours.

Argue it all you like, and certain posters can take all the personal potshots he likes. The fact remains that it isn't the same TCM as it once was.

Yes, I will change the channel. No, I don't want to have to change the channel.

That's as clear as I can think to make it right now. But by all means, flame away.

//This should be a friendly atmosphere.//

I concur.

However, that preferable atmosphere you correctly cite was lost some time ago on this thread long before my comparison of a username's association. And as one such perpetrator of the preceeding unfriendliness was the target of my barb, I had no qualm in violating my usual sense of good manners by making the observation that I did.

If you found my comment disagreeable to you (which is your prerogative to express, as it is mine to comment as I see fit), then that is unfortunate.

I was not my intent to foster an unfriendly environment as much as it was to invalidate the churlishness I have observed repeatedly in a particular party. And my intention to discredit said party still stands. People of a querulous character warrant debunking.

"Shall we gather at the river, the beautiful, beautiful r-i-v-e-r..."

Of course we respect those who enjoy the classic films including silents, however I also believe there should be some respect for those who enjoy the Anime animated films. Its not necessary to refer to them as crap and eminate barfing on them. Thats a bit juvenile.

As far as changing channels we all do it all the time, whether for sporting events, favorite local TV shows, awards shows, the news, cable movies, etc. We can't deny it.

Not every movie is a favorite on TCM whether it be new or old. On the cable movie channels I recently watched "Pickup on South Street" with Richard Widmark, "Cry of the City" a wonderful noir with Richard Conte and also "Samson and Delilah" with Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr, and yes, "The Greatest Show on Earth" and "Moulin Rouge" with Jose Ferrer. Good stuff. Why not? I simply changed the channel.

By the way Path, that was a swell post and most respectful too.

And Sam, that's a good suggestion . It says it all in a nutshell.

With 360 films scheduled on TCM for February, I'm certain there is something for everyone. Enjoy.

Oh, also watched my guilty pleasure "American Idol". Uh,oh.

Mongo,

Thank you for your well stated post. Especially the part about respecting each others likes and dislikes.

?Not every movie is a favorite on TCM whether it be new or old. On the cable movie channels I recently watched "Pickup on South Street" with Richard Widmark, "Cry of the City" a wonderful noir with Richard Conte and also "Samson and Delilah" with Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr, and yes, "The Greatest Show on Earth" and "Moulin Rouge" with Jose Ferrer. Good stuff. Why not? I simply changed the channel.?

You?re trying to set us up for commercials on TCM next, aren?t you?

Yeah, sure, and after reading some of the claptrap on this tread, Im currently negotiating with Pepto-Bismol.

I'll give it a shot especially since it was made 30 years. Besides I admire Walter Matthau. He reminds me of Wallace Beery.

Oh, man, all this cursing by the coach to the kids in ?Bad News Bears? really enhances the film! I ain?t seen such a danged intelectural film since I saw ?Rocky?!

If Shakespeare only couldda been so clever: ?To be or not to be, that?s the danged question, dang it!? ?Hey Othello! I?z gonna whip yo butt, boy!? ?Out, out, &$!%@# spot, you #@&%!& spot!?

Matthau is like Beery, isn't he. :D

That's one we've missed; good call, mongo (another candygram for ya! ;-) )

M'Lady and I are always doing that: evaluating modern stars by the stars that have preceeded them (e.g. Cruise being a pale semblance of a Clift; Macchio a Mineo; Madsen quite the Davies et cetera et cetera et cetera). There are others what have occurred to me, but I cannot recall all the varieties, currently.

Shall make for a thread-start at a later date, most likely. :P

And did they really have to do away with all the silent films for February. I'm sure they could have found enough of them to at least keep the Silent Sunday Feature during the Oscar fest.

Mongo, thanks for stating that the way you did about anime, because I would not have been so nice. ;)

That said whether you like it or not Coal Miner's Daughter and Airport ARE classics and have been shown on TCM before IIRC.

31 days of the Oscar is not just about movies that have WON Oscars but also movies that have been NOMINATED. Dick Tracy was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, Cinematography, Costume Design, and Sound.

It won awards for Best Song "Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)" written by Stephen Sodheim (and performed beautifully by Madonna. Yes that's right I'm a Madonna fan, I also eat lemons and play video games), Make up, and Art Direction/Set Decoration.

I'd say it qualifies for being an "Oscar" movie. 8)

Also they are showing Sunrise (1927) a movie they haven't shown for ages. ;)

Message was edited by:

Melly

It is interesting to note that the biggest supporters of the showing of these modern "klassix" are also fans of "American Idol" and Madonna. I am beginning to understand now. These films belong on the TCM schedule like Thomas Kinkade paintings belong festooning the walls of the Louvre.

Fred C. Dobbs is not a "dolt", he just has a mind of his own.

Hurrah, constarkel!

So there ARE more here who agree with Fred besides Tom and I?

Glad to see it. I thought we were on the road to the End Of TCM.

Ditto to: sweetbabykmd.

Too bad it's an 'us vs. them' scenario, but hey, that's life.

Stoneyburke,

Yes there are a few of us. We few, we angry few, we band of brothers/sisters. I fear that we are in the minority here (on these boards, at least).

TCM is going to do whatever it wants to do. I don't think they care a hill of beans as to what we think. They are chasing that elusive butterfly of the 18-40 year old demographic that most of the other channels are. If that means dumbing the channel down to appeal to the lowest common denominator, then thats what they will probably do. I expect them to be just another movie channel along the lines of the Encore network within a few years. If thats what everyone here wants, then keep mindlessly applauding every single programming decision as you now are. Make sure that they say "Simon says" first though.

I really think you're selling TCM short. I thought they were celebrating Oscar in February by showing films that won, or were nominated for, Oscars. I have my doubts that TCM is "chasing that elusive butterfly of the 18-40 year old demographic that most of the other channels are" because if you look at the schedules for March and April, you'll see more than enough films most 18 year-olds wouldn't exactly go out of their way to watch. Call me an optimist, but I think TCM has a mandate and has stuck to it for ten years. That's worth something, isn't it? I don't think I'm going to go out of my way to watch Back to the Future again or Rocky or Coal Miner's Daughter but I don't mind they're getting aired. I much prefer The Sea Wolf, which is airing, but, like mongo, I watch American Idol, too. I do think they care what we think, but they're perfectly entitled to do what they think is right as well, such as the Shelley Winters tribute. The Montgomery pictures will air another day and because Oscar came during the crossover between silent and sound pictures, Silent Sunday Nights doesn't really qualify for February's line-up and that'll come back as it always done, as the months-to-come schedule illustrates.

Who is "mindlessly applauding every single programming decision"? I don't get that impression. I do get the impression there's people who appreciate what they have and don't mind what they don't, and there's people who want it all and want it now and want it yesterday. Lately, these boards are qualifying the notion the that the Internet is allergic to reason, truth and humour.