Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi sweetbaby,

My intention was not to keep this argument going. Otterhere had asked for more statistics on the number of post 1960's movies over on another thread and I had remembered that at one point someone had posted some on a similar thread last year. I don't see this as an argument from MY side--I was trying to help out a fellow board member.

Incidentally, I don't think that anyone needs to TRY to keep this debate going---just for kicks I scanned through the earliest pages of this forum and there were posts from 2003 from posters who were dismayed at seeing newer films on the schedule.

peace

Sandy K

As long as TCM still shows wonderful black and white movies with the ethereal drama of the human spirit, films like" MudHoney"," Faster **** Cat Kill Kill," I will always be a loyal viewer. No where else on television is such high art shown to the select few, whom are qualified to view such cinematic masterworks. TCM is a gem and will never die when programming like this exists. I appreciate programmers who understand high art and culture and appeal to that distinguished and educated viewer. Now, all they have to do to make my viewing complete is to air" Curse of the Slime People", and other lost teasures of the same ilk.

I appreciate programmers who understand high art and culture and appeal to that distinguished and educated viewer. Now, all they have to do to make my viewing complete is to air" Curse of the Slime People", and other lost teasures of the same ilk.

Well, actually, as long as they show it (and its ilk-mates (?)) underground-only, so we know where to find it, I'm sure there are those of us - who usually watch quite different fare - who might put our brains into neutral for a time amd wait to be properly horrified. Of course, we'll more likely be IMproperly horrified, but there can be fun had that way, too! (And, yes, of course I recognized the "irony" - we used to call it something else. Thanks, anyway.)

> As long as TCM still shows wonderful black and white

> movies with the ethereal drama of the human spirit,

> films like" MudHoney"," Faster **** Cat Kill Kill,"

> I will always be a loyal viewer. No where else on

> television is such high art shown to the select few,

> whom are qualified to view such cinematic

> masterworks. TCM is a gem and will never die when

> programming like this exists. I appreciate

> programmers who understand high art and culture and

> appeal to that distinguished and educated viewer.

> Now, all they have to do to make my viewing complete

> is to air" Curse of the Slime People", and other lost

> teasures of the same ilk.

Why did you address that post to me? I never complained about those movies. Go back to my original post of a year ago to see the specific movies I complained about. I don't mind if TCM occasionally shows a weird movie for an occasional weird viewer. I just don't like crappy '70s films like "The Bad News Bears" and "Shampoo". Stuff like that.

> See what I mean? The facts are not going to interfere

> with these people's perceptions. Or their

> determination that they can't be wrong.

What are you addressing this to me for? I haven't posted on this thread in nearly a year. Go back and read my original posts and the original movies I complained about. I'll be responsible for the movies I complain about and let others be responsible for the movies they complain about.

> Uh OH, me thinks the thought police have put a filter

> on....Let me try this title that aired on TCM in Oct.

> If they can't let me even write it, they shouldn't

> show it. "Faster **** Cat, Kill, Kill"

What in the heck are you yapping about?

Are you trying to type "Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059170/

What are you addressing this to me for?

Fred, I think some people have forgotten to reply to the actual person who wrote what they're quoting; they're replying to the thread, instead of to a particular post. I do that sometimes, but only if I'm making a general comment. And I always (well, almost) quote the post to which I'm responding. It just makes for a lot easier reading.

Bill

That is right, you said a year ago the end was near, oddly enough TCM has increased it's audience by 14 pecent. Me, I am just glad to have TCM on my cable, with movies like "The Killers" and "Thunder Road", I am satisfied with their programming. I can go and rent a movie if I really need to see one not being shown. It is much harder to get movies to air than the average guy thinks, trust me on this, but it is great what TCM does. I am so sick of these boards becoming sewing circles of gossip, instead of talking about films that I love with people who also have interest in camera shots and trivia about these films; we always have yutz's come on and start programming battles. I was not being ironic, I loved TCM underground, no one in the industry has the fortitude to take a chance and show avant garde, or cult schlock. TCM took a big chance and did it, right or wrong, they showed initiative and tried to shake it up a little. Only OCD people like the same thing everyday over and over. I have even seen people bent out of shape because TCM showed films from the Janus collection. So to the person who stated a year ago that TCM will be AMC in 6 months, keep trying with your predictions. You never know, 2 things are constant..even the losers get

lucky sometimes, and a broken clock gets it right twice a day.

> That is right, you said a year ago the end was near,

> oddly enough TCM has increased it's audience by 14

> pecent. Me, I am just glad to have TCM on my cable,

> with movies like "The Killers" and "Thunder Road",

Yeah, that's because I pointed out all the new crappy movies from the ?70s they were starting to show a year ago and people began to rebel against it. If TCM loses the classic film lovers, they'll lose their traditional, vast, and well-established cable and satellite subscriber base.

>we always have yutz's come on and start

> programming battles.

Calling people names reveals your immaturity. This is what I warned about when TCM started showing the kiddie Anime movies, a bunch of rude anti-social immature crackpots coming on and ruining these threads with a lot of personal attacks, instead of sticking to the discussion of movies.

> What are you addressing this to me for?

>

> Fred, I think some people have forgotten to reply to

> the actual person who wrote what they're quoting;

> they're replying to the thread, instead of to a

> particular post.

> Bill

Thanks Bill.

Yeah I apologize, I was writing to another respondant earlier on the thread. So many people wrote on this one. I get in a hurry and see a comment I will post reply to thread, instead of the individual. My bad. Sorry

> Yeah I apologize, I was writing to another respondant

> earlier on the thread. So many people wrote on this

> one. I get in a hurry and see a comment I will post

> reply to thread, instead of the individual. My bad.

> Sorry

Oh, heck, don't worry about it. Apparently if someone posts to the tread in general, the program goes back and lists the name of the original poster to the thread, or something like that.

I think we should all probably limit our griping strictly to specific movies, rather than about individual posters. Art is in the eye of the beholder, and we all are individual beholders. I started this thread because of a real rash of bad movies shown early last year. I mean, what great classic movie fan begs to see "Shampoo" or "The Bad News Bears"? These movies are so bad, none of the other channels will show them.

> > See what I mean? The facts are not going to

> interfere

> > with these people's perceptions. Or their

> > determination that they can't be wrong.

>

> What are you addressing this to me for? I haven't

> posted on this thread in nearly a year. Go back and

> read my original posts and the original movies I

> complained about. I'll be responsible for the movies

> I complain about and let others be responsible for

> the movies they complain about.

Fred, I was referring to Sweetbabykmd's post just a few minutes before mine. I'm sorry, I just hit "reply to thread". I didn't see the point in replying to her when she supposedly has me on permanent ignore.

> Fred, I was referring to Sweetbabykmd's post just a

> few minutes before mine. I'm sorry, I just hit "reply

> to thread". I didn't see the point in replying to her

> when she supposedly has me on permanent ignore.

Ok, no problem.

• 10 years later...

After seeing that Charles Burnett is going to be a recipient of a lifetime achievement Oscar this year, it reminded me of an old thread that I ran across recently that was started after Burnett's Killer of Sheep was shown on TCM in primetime, I think as part of Black History Month or MLK day. I believe the thread was started by that old curmudgeon Fred Dobbs, and he was lamenting what an awful piece of garbage the movie was, and why did it have to be shown in primetime.

Anyway, I wanted to find that thread again and bump it up, but I couldn't. Instead I found this old chestnut. I recommend reading it from the beginning if you have the time or inclination, as it's quite humorous in its "doom and gloom" notions of the channel's imminent collapse. Of course, this was started 11 years ago, so I don't think the channel's demise was that close.

• Like 2

After seeing that Charles Burnett is going to be a recipient of a lifetime achievement Oscar this year, it reminded me of an old thread that I ran across recently that was started after Burnett's Killer of Sheep was shown on TCM in primetime, I think as part of Black History Month or MLK day. I believe the thread was started by that old curmudgeon Fred Dobbs, and he was lamenting what an awful piece of garbage the movie was, and why did it have to be shown in primetime.

Anyway, I wanted to find that thread again and bump it up, but I couldn't. Instead I found this old chestnut. I recommend reading it from the beginning if you have the time or inclination, as it's quite humorous in its "doom and gloom" notions of the channel's imminent collapse. Of course, this was started 11 years ago, so I don't think the channel's demise was that close.

Man,  based on the title I believed this thread was about Irma or N.K. and the start of WWIII.

But it was interesting to read posts from 2007 that if TCM shows certain films (e.g. those dang 70s films),  viewers will stay away and TCM will collapse. 

> That is right, you said a year ago the end was near,

> oddly enough TCM has increased it's audience by 14

> pecent. Me, I am just glad to have TCM on my cable,

> with movies like "The Killers" and "Thunder Road",

Yeah, that's because I pointed out all the new crappy movies from the ?70s they were starting to show a year ago and people began to rebel against it. If TCM loses the classic film lovers, they'll lose their traditional, vast, and well-established cable and satellite subscriber base.

See, what poor ol' Fred here evidently didn't realize at the time he wrote this was that there'd be ANOTHER and maybe even more salient reason why "TCM would lose classic film lovers" over time.

Uh-huh...they'd die.

(...ironic, ain't it)

Classic movies are like classic Rock stations, you only have so long until people move on to greener pastures. What surprises me is that there are so many amazing movies that are never played on TCM.

Yeah, I KNOW, huh! Like HOT SPELL, huh ND!

(...oh...wait...this isn't ND, this is MM here, huh...well, same difference, anyway)

Btw Lawrence. THANKS for reliving this here thread, amigo!

I can see I'm gonna have TREMENDOUS fun in THIS baby now!

(...seein' as how it wouldn't be for another few years after it would be long buried in the archives and before I'd get the opportunity to participate in the thing!)

;)

Classic movies are like classic Rock stations, you only have so long until people move on to greener pastures. What surprises me is that there are so many amazing movies that are never played on TCM.

And not to worry.  Because you see, like with "classic" movies and classic rock stations, these days there ARE no "greener pastures" to move ON to!  :huh:

Sepiatone