Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

The End Is Near

TCM standards? Just what are the TCM standards. Last month's "Star of the Month" was Elvis Presley. One night they showed an old concert followed by Viva Las Vegas," costarring the classic Ann-Margret. No problem for me; I'm sure many people out there in the vast universe enjoyed them. I just went over to Cinemax and watched Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt," which has probably been on TCM dozens of times but I hadn't see it in years. A true classic.

TCM is a movie channel. That's all it is. It is a commercial venture; it is not a not-for-profit organization. So, while trying to please as many people as possible, it sometimes won't please you. So get a life! Read a book. Take out the garbage. Write a letter. Walk the dog. And in just a little while, you'll find something on TCM which please you (and I can go and read my book.

To Path40a: So it's come to this - counting number of postings. You chide Fred for posting "over 175 times" while your own postings are well over 2,000 - most extolling the virtues of TCM.

Please don't jump all over me. Think how boring these boards would be if we all agreed with each other. Just try and be civil; didn't your mothers teach you anything?

Well, I have to get out of here; I'm watching the Australian Open - Nalbanian vs. Baghdatis. Could be a classic!

Ralph

A stitch in time, saves nine.......you can lead a horse to water but,you can't make him drink.......................................

your turn.................

vallo

Jeez, another TCM Death Watch thread opened right on schedule, just before the yearly salute to the Oscars! Fearless prediction: We'll see at least another one in July, right before Summer Under The Stars.

Talk about reruns -- I've seen these gloomy threads pop up at least twice a year for the last five years, and the arguments don't get any better or more original. Probably the hoariest argument I've heard is that they show the newer films on HBO, Showtime, Encore, etc. all the time. Well, no they don't -- at least, not at the same time that they're on TCM. The films mentioned at the beginning of this thread are at least 10 years old, which means they've lost their novelty on the pay channels, and turn up infrequently at best. And many of us out here in the hinterland don't shell out for the pay channels -- standard cable is good enough for me, and I only pay enough to get TCM. That's why I don't mind the occasional "modern" film on TCM -- it's a welcome change of pace, and sets off the older films well. In that sense, TCM is true movie heaven, showing us the classic films of every era.

It's not like the modern films are eating up the schedule. Path40a pointed out in another thread a statistic that I posted here in 2003 and 2004, and a few others before me -- the so-called "modern" films take up only 3 to 4 percent of TCM's schedule every month. The "real" classics still make up 96 to 97 percent. And that ratio has remained consistent over the years, right up to now. So the stuff that people are complaining about in these threads is basically window dressing.

And what is a classic? We could argue that six ways from Sunday, but I think Edith Wharton gave the most useful definition: "A classic is classic not because it conforms to certain structural rules, or fits certain definitions (of which the author had quite probably never heard). It is classic because of a certain eternal and irrepressible freshness." That can apply to any era.

I don't know what it is about the modern films that blinds some people so that they can't see anything else on the schedule. In the nearly nine years that I've been watching TCM, I've sampled just about everything they've offered, and come away a more complete film fan. I didn't like westerns before TCM, but now I can't wait for Lone Star Cinema. I seek out more foreign films because of TCM. The Young Film Composers Competition has made silent films vital and accessible to me. TCM has done so much good in showing hundreds of classic films every month, but for reasons best known to them, some people still wail Eloi Eloi when they see the rare film that doesn't meet with their narrow vision.

That's their problem. And their loss.

> A horse is a horse, of course, of course......period.

People yakety yak a streak

And waste their time of day

But Mr. Ed will never speak

Unless he has something to say...

; }

Amen, coffeedan. My thought is, what is the cutoff date? There are many actors we hold dear that worked from the classic era to the not-so-classic era. Jack Lemmon, Burt Lancaster, Paul Newman, Charlton Heston, Brando, Gregory Peck and several ladies. Do their films not get shown because they were made after a certain date? That might leave off "Missing", "Atlantic CIty", "The Verdict", "Pale Rider" and some others off. We have an interest in them because of who is in them. That doesn't mean we'll be overloaded, nor should we be, but don't shut them all out. The original list doesn't light me up but I can see a case for some of them.

I'm part of the over 40 crowd. I'm glad they are there. There is too much real junk on TV as it is.

P.S. I'm guessing by April we'll have another thread.

*It is interesting to note that the biggest supporters of the showing of these modern "klassix" are also fans of "American Idol" and Madonna.*

But what if I listen to Madonna and watch nothing but Pre-code movies? Does that automatically make me a bad person just because I dare mention Madonna (who in her own right is a "classic" singer!) in the same sentence? I didn't realize there were prerequisites in musical/television taste for watching and enjoying TCM. It's as though enjoying American Idol, Madonna and "modern" movies are evil. It's that old saying: variety is the spice of life!

(FWIW, the "average" 18-24 year old would laugh at this entire thread--for them a "classic" movie is "Dude, Where's My Car?" and Shelley Winters was nothing more than a character on Roseanne!)

Oh, you'd love that, wouldn't ya?

Love to see this continued with the **** for tat and name-calling? No, not especially, but it does TCM good in the amount of eyeballs they're getting, I suppose.

Nope, as everyone has already observed, at the end of the day, I'll still think Anime is crap and some other people will think it's Fantasia.

And that's how it goes. Such is life.

I for one watch "American Idol" along with 35 million others and their families. I admit it. I'm sure some of the prophets of doom also watch it or other guilty pleasures, but they won't admit it.

I also watch Turner Classic Movies which I enjoy very much. And yes, it discourages me to read the constant prohets of doom posts against the station, from a select few, referring to TCMs programming as crap or junk and badmouthing it's founder Ted Turner. I'm not crazy about silent films, but I would never use those adjetives out of respect for those who enjoy them.

You'll notice that these individuals are almost always attracted to negative treads where they spout their gloom and doom constantly.

You'll also notice that these same individuals seldom, if ever, participate in a tread constructive to movies, which this forum is all about.

If this is supposed to be a way to encourage and support TCM, then I'm stumped.

It's also sad to note that many of our more enlightning movie buffs have left the boards, most likely discouraged by the gloom and doom characters. I miss them.

Me? I'm here to stay. I've watched TCM since its inseption and I will continue to watch it another 20 years (God willing).

Afterall it is movie heaven.

Mongo

By the way I also watch "Fear Factor". And Ralph, I also watched that tennis match. Baghdatis rules!

TCM is movie heaven, indeed, mongo, and I for one am more than happy that you and several other enjoyable posters are still here to balance the doom-and-gloom set. It's sad that so many people are just never satisfied.

No doubt about it.

TCM for me, man...is like having film study at home. And it's also like working with the best teachers that ever lived. Wouldn't watch anything but sports and DVDs without it.

The films they air have done more for me in terms of inspiration, motivation, and captivation; than just about anything else. I still probably would've become a writer without it, but having TCM a mere channel click away has not only polished my sense of the craft behind motion pictures, it has also molded it into a thing a lot of other younger writers like me are incapable of being. And for that I will always be grateful. TCM sponsered events in and around Atlanta have been another blessing.

You know I always tell my friends in both LA and Atlanta that if I never sold another screenplay in my life or failed in the movie biz; I'd relish the opportunity to work for TCM in some form or another. Know what I mean?

As sad as it sounds, films are just too vital a part of who I am for me to do anything else with my life.

null

You're right--TCM IS heaven. Where else can you get "Souls for Sale," "A Woman of Paris" and "Greed" on the same night, or a day of Kay Francis or Edward Arnold, or pre-codes?

mongo--love you for your post. I've been here but mainly lurking because I have so much trouble posting unless I'm at my friend's house who has DSL. I've been disturbed about what I've been reading but you know--you're always going to have the crap stirrers around just to see how much people get upset. And some folks won't be satisfied until 1) they get the last word or 2) they can say "I told you so."

I'm surprised Leo let Tuesday go by without comments, even though I loved Souls for Sale. I though Marcus Sjowall did a great job on the sound track. However, my least favorite time of the year (31 days of Oscar) is coming around so I probably won't be watching much. But other than that, the channel is on at my house at least 50% of the time. I have to watch Cash in the Attic every night & I'm a sucker for Survivor & The Amazing Race. But most of the time I'm in movie heaven too.

Gee, I didn't know there were rules to being a classic movie fan! Because I'm violating them left and right. I'm sitting here listening to Coldplay and next I was going to listen to Alanis Morissette and maybe some Madonna. And not two hours ago I finished watching Sunrise (1927) Also my favorite actress is Barbara Stanwyck, and I also adore precodes and silent movies. But I must not be a classic movie fan because I'm not listening the Bing Crosby and Jimmy Durante. **rollseyes**

Helenwheels -

Well, I was wondering where you were; I thought maybe you'd changed your name again! Nice to hear from you (I also enjoy watching Cash in the Attic).

And Mongo - wasn't that a terrific match. I almost jumped on my TV set when they made him win it twice (there have been quite a few bad calls this past week). Anyway, Baghdatis seems like a nice young guy and I'm looking forward to his next match. Oh to be in Cyprus right now!

Ralph

That is wonderful that you like your "Coldplay", "Alanis Morrisette" and "Madonna". I am sure that there are some Hip-Hoppers out there too. Maybe they would be impressed with your taste in movies over on the MTV or VH1 forums. I hope that you are not suggesting that Madonna can act though.

Well, as I told Leo, I heard the next 'we'll always have Paris' contender for classic dialogue last night.

I lingered on the excellent Anime last night for awhile, and was treated to dialogue that dealt with one character's nose-picking and wiping it on his sleeve.

I was utterly bereft that I had missed four weeks of this media brilliance.

:(

Much as I've truly enjoyed Baghdatis's run, I'm afraid "the end is near" for him given who he'll be playing in the finals;-)

I think her ego and careerism has gotten in the way of whatever ability she has for acting in cinema. She did her part admirably in League of Their Own, an excellent performance, no scene stealing, real ensemble work, as it should be, shows potential. Beyond that I must agree with you, Case in point: Evita where she has the show itself altered so that no one but her sings a female part. Other cases: all those really bad vehicle movies. Capper: truly rotten remake of Swept Away (but then we could go on for days about the miles of wasted celloid spent on unnecessary and awful remakes (and a few seconds on the handful of worthwhile ones, is there a rotten remake thread here somewhere?).