Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

The End Is Near

True to life animation. After we pick our noses we usually roll the reward between our fingers into a tiny ball and drop it anywhere. At least the character in the movie had sense enough not to litter.

And please don't tell me that we don't pick our noses. Even our biggest dignitaries have been caught at it.

How about when we finish chewing our gum...well we won't go into that now.

This is the same mongo that used to post here? Okay, you defended redoubtables in the past, but be that as it may.

You now DEFEND the right of a classic television station to show animation that talks about picking one's nose as TRUE TO LIFE? So is the cursing and sharing of bodily fluids on the so-called reality shows, so you would be happy with a reality show on TCM now? You'd call THAT classic too?

Mongo, I don't know what's happened to you, but it appears you suffer from the same malady as TCM.

stoneyburke,

Got a question. It has been a couple of days since your post, so here is a quote:

"It's happening in Europe, and the WC is in charge of Warner and CBS. WOR is no more and neither is my childhood favorite..."

Excuse my dim bulb-iness, but what is "WC"? Is that one of those groups like the "Bilderburgers"?

Rusty

CW is the name given to the company formed by CBS and Warner that gobbled up WOR and WPIX, now known as UPN and the WB.

I have taken to calling it WC, since Jack Paar was thrown off the air for making a joke about the Water Closet in the early days of television. I see this strategy by the megalomaniacs which are buying up the struggling little independent stations as nothing more than a concerted effort to homogenize everyone's viewing 'pleasure' and further push televison into the Water Closet.

Except that the stations in question are, for the most part, still independent, or owned by chains that have no connection with either CBS-Viacom or Warner Bros., other than that they sell them air time.

I agree,constarkel,and have resigned myself to the fact. I'm taping as many films as I can that ARE classics(they're making it really difficult though,considering the times that the really good stuff is scheduled,and the way the silents have been squeezed out).I'm already resigned to the fact that the TCM I knew and loved is about to be a thing of the past.

I'm going to spend another night watching classics on DVD, instead of these TBS modern crappy films that are now showing on TCM.

"Back to the Future" was shown on TBS yesterday. It will be shown on TCM in a couple of weeks. Time Warner is now beginning to circulate the non-classic TBS films through TCM. I guess they save money that way and are gradually phasing out the real classic films from TCM.

Same here. I used to have TCM on all the time-even if a movie was on that wasn't particularly my taste,I could generally enjoy it because it didn't break the overall "mood" of the programming. Now there are many days at a time that I just don't bother.

Back to the Future" was shown on TBS yesterday. It will be shown on TCM in a couple of weeks. Time Warner is now beginning to circulate the non-classic TBS films through TCM. I guess they save money that way and are gradually phasing out the real classic films from TCM.

You guess wrong. They aren't "TBS Films"; The BACK TO THE FUTURE movies, as an example, are owned by NBC-Universal. AOL Time-Warner pays substantial licensing fees to them to show the films on TBS, TNT and TCM, and its much cheaper to run films Warner's already owns -- especially old films, for which there are no profit participants or residuals owed.

TCM merely wants to present a broad mix of films, by genre, star, country of origin, and era, that's all.

But I guess you enjoy being a doomsayer, even when the facts don's support your the-sky-is-falling view.

I'm already resigned to the fact that the TCM I knew and loved is about to be a thing of the past.

What? Melanie, you don't consider Sally Field to be a classic actress acting in a classic film, whatever it was, I didn't stick around to find out?

Come on, the Classic in TCM is every bit as meaningful now as the Classic in AMC.

Oh, Pshaw. I'm an old fuddy-duddy, black and white classic film lover, but this is silly. TCM is getting better because of NEW blood in the schedule. I am NOT interested in a station playing the same 1000 great classics of 1929 - 1959. I don't need to watch an AFI classic every night, I have a DVD player for that. Broaden the scope! Full steam ahead! More foreign film, more silents, more quirky forgotten nuggets from EVERY decade and every nation.

The February schedule is no dead segull of doom. The starting line up is great, Feb 1st is (in order) Mogambo (1953), Show Boat (1951), Thousands Cheer (1943), Babes on Broadway (1941), For Me And My Gal (1942), Brigadoon (1954), Hot Millions (1968), African Queen, The (1951), Casablanca (1942) - the beginning of an excellent month.

And as far a comparing TCM to AMC: AMC is not going to be running a Robert Montgomery fest soon nor will they ever show a movie with Moira Shearer, Eric Blore, or, Louis Calhern. And TCM will not be running a salute to Lance Henriksen or Micheal Ironside either.

Slotkins of Worcester

Slotkins of Worcester (Oobleckboy) you are a gem.

I'm also looking forward to 31 Days of Oscar 2006. I just received my schedule and it sure is movie heaven. A great variety of movies.

?I'm also looking forward to 31 Days of Oscar 2006. I just received my schedule and it sure is movie heaven. A great variety of movies.?

That reads just like a Time-Warner commercial.

And Slotkin of Worcester, we are movie buffs that are fortunate enough to enjoy a variety of films from all era's of moviemaking.

Afterall variety is the spice of life. TCM rocks!

I like Michael Ironside. Like Rutger Hauer, he accepted jobs in fifty-seven too many B movies and damaged his professional reputation in doing so. If luck would have TCM existing in twenty years, they'll spotlight both with a birthday bash and a new generation will enjoy the cheese they enlivened. But that's when those films considered 'classic.'

Oops. I should've known I'd tick somebody off with my Michael Ironside and Lance Henriksen ribbing. I've been watching Ironside since Scanners (hooking up with fellow Canadian, David Cronenberg). And I'm also a Lance fan. B Movie heros rarely get to shine if the material they're working with is under par.

I recently caught an early appearance of Lance as one of Ernest Borgnine's railroad toughs in Emperor of the North Pole (Robert Aldrich movie with Lee Marvin as "A#1" king of hobos). Lance was excellent in The Right Stuff, also.

Sorry, johnnyweekes. Thanks for calling me on that. They've both been in good stuff.

Most of us are "movie buffs that are fortunate enough to enjoy a variety of films from all eras of moviemaking". We just don't think they all belong on TCM. We used to be able to count on TCM for classic old movies, and if a modern film was in order the hundred or so other channels would suffice.

"We just don't think they all belong on TCM". All? Hardly 2%! Remember the other 98% is old movies. Gimme a break, already.