Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

The End Is Near

?We just don't think they all belong on TCM. We used to be able to count on TCM for classic old movies, and if a modern film was in order the hundred or so other channels would suffice.?

Exactly. It?s like having our favorite classic music radio station and then it starts playing a little heavy metal music between the Beethoven and Mozart. This is irritating, especially since we already have plenty of heavy metal radio stations in town.

I wasn't in the least ticked off. I agree with you; I don't think we'll be seeing an Ironside/Henriksen fest anytime soon, as much as the doomsayers might like to think something like that is in the future. And the Aldrich film is incredible, and a classic to boot. I would love to see it aired on TCM. I'm surprised it's not on DVD yet.

It's funny you should say that, I was listening to a great radio station that played 40's and 50's music and they just changed it to a talk radio show. There is no other radio station out here with that kind of music so my radio is off for good. If TCM continues to change for the worse I will be watching DVDs for my old movies just as I listen to CDs for my old music.

The key word here is MOVIES. Uncut and commercial free. Until I see otherwise I will always support TCM for the variety of films,old and new. No matter how this channel is knocked good or bad there is only one TCM. love it or leave it...

vallo

For new movies you have Encore, Showtime, HBO, The Movie Channel, Cinemax, Flix, etc, etc. There is really only one place to watch the older classic movies and that is on TCM. Why would you want to see the newer movies on TCM too? Answer that one? Those newer movies that you defend so vociferously, can be seen on any of those other channels and there should also be no shortage of them at any video outlet. Plus, if you really liked those movies, you would have probably seen them a million times already. None of those modern movies on TCM this month is exactly scarce. If you loved them that much, why have you not recorded them already? Then you could watch them to your heart's content. We all have different tastes and I don't think that it is up to TCM to satisfy all of them. If I want to watch a modern movie, I can find it elsewhere. If I want to see anime, I can watch the cartoon network or Adult Swim. If I want to see reality shows, I can watch the networks. If I want to see classic movies, I'd like to be able to tune to TCM to see them.

And AMC is American Movie Classics. So, tonight I'll watch Ball of Fire and Born Yesterday on TCM and on AMC you can watch The Blues Brothers and White men can't jump..One man ceiling is another mans floor......

vallo

Unfortunately, not all of us have access to those cable channels and money to rent the DVDs, Constarkel. And its surprising that you don't have all the old movies taped by now.

TCM is providing entertainment for everyone. Lets put on our dancing shoes and enjoy it.

Good post, Vallo.

I don't have Encore, Showtime, HBO, The Movie Channel, Cinemax, Flix, etc, etc. The entire point of TCM showing these 'newer films' in February is to celebrate Oscar, isn't it? Oscar celebrates movies (however much some of us disagree with the choices the Academy has made) and TCM is the premiere movie channel, isn't it? To air examples of Oscar winners and nominees makes entire sense to me, doesn't it?

On March's schedule, there's twenty films (out of over three-hundred) airing that were produced post-1970 and two of them are repeats. They feature Yul Brunner, Sean Connery, Walter Matthau, Edward G. Robinson, Peter Falk, etc. I haven't seen The Cheap Detective and one of these days, I'd like to. Glad to know that turns up on TCM from time to time. Those twenty films hardly constitute evidence that The End is Near.

Hopeless it is for this ridiculous diatribe.

Its the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.....

The fact that out of 200 or more movies, 20 or so of them are post-1970 does not signal the apocalypse.

Every forum seems to have at least a couple of people that are always saying how "the end is near" or "its all going bad" I'm a member of the Model Railroader forum and at least twice a month someone brings up the same doom and gloom about that hobby as well.

Is it the end, no. Is it a change, yes. Its human nature to resist change but change is good, it is what makes the world go around.

Out of the 670 or so hours in the month of February, 40 or so hours of those hours, they'll be showing movies made after 1970. Its not the end, not by a long shot.

Bryan

(PS... and yes someone 30 yrs old watches TCM and enjoys model railroading)

Getting in late on his thread. Well, the only thing I can say is, I understand some movies from th 70's 80's and 90's may be considered classics by some, which is fine. But to be honest, the point that most of those movies can be seen easily on other channels is a good one, and personally I would rather see TCM adding more true classic movies to their library for us to see, rather than showing the more modern stuff.

There are still some good movies out there TCM probably hasn't shown or hasn't shown in a long time, some interesting pre-codes they may not have shown either. I guess the 2 studios' movies they can't get the rights to are Paramount and Columbia? or is it Universal? Not sure, maybe you folks can help me out with all the legal stuff . It would be nice to see if TCM can add more vintage classics to their library, if possible, and show those rather than the more modern stuff is my point. That's just my opinion, and my interest in movies is pretty much only the 30's-early 60's, though occasionaly I will watch a smaller or sleeper hit Hollywood puts out today. Diane Lane makes good movies, and I've always liked her.

Niprecode,

One of the big problems with the older films that everyone agrees we should see more of, is the simple cost of preservation and restoration. Here are some of the problems, in no particular order:

1 Films from other studio libraries-

$$$- The films have to be rented.

The films have to have been transferred to a digital format that TCM can air.

Those working in Home Entertainment have to know what's in their library and what format the films are available on. Surprisingly enough, there are posters on this board more knowledgeable about what films belong to what studios than some of the folks working at those studios.

2 Just because a movie exists does not mean that a broadcast quality digital print exists.

The years have not been kind to many films and film preservation and restoration has only been around for about 40 years. Many films are lost, many are badly damaged and many are in danger of being lost. Preservation and Restoration is expensive and time consuming. It can take hundreds of thousands of dollars and years to restore a film. Sometimes the preservation and restoration process is easy and most times, it's not. Those studios actively involved in preservation and restoration have a yearly budget that dictates how many films can be preserved a year. With Pre-codes often the films were cut after release to satisify the Hays Code. Some studios such as Warner Bros will make a valiant effort to find the missing footage before completing restoration. Finding that footage can be daunting. It may be in mismarked cans somewhere or in a foreign archive or some place in the Yukon at the end of the distribution line. You never know where the footage may turn up. Or it may be lost to history having turned to dust, been melted down for its silver content or been lost in a nitrate fire. All these things have happened to many films over the years.

3 I saw it on AMC, TMC, TNT or fill in the blank ten, fifteen, twenty five years ago so I know a print exists.

Yes, you did see the film on television sometime in the either the not so distant or maybe the very distant past. Depending upon what decade it was will tell us what format the film was available in when you saw it. However, with the rather rapid technological changes of this century, many channels are going to a digital format so that means if the film is not available in a digital format the channel cannot run it. Transferring any film to a digital format costs money.

So, there are many reasons why TCM cannot run all the movies we want them to. But the run films 24/7, 365 days a year and when you stop and think about it, that's alot of movies.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

I didn't realize you've been to my local library lately. I guess you didn't notice they don't have Paper Moon, The Last Picture Show, Soylent Green, Westworld, The Front, The Conversation or The Seven Per-Cent Solution and even if they did, they'd want a dollar (for tape protection) for each if I were to borrow them. I think they might have Awakenings, but I saw that when it came out. They do have Brideshead Revisited and Mr. Bean but I'd rather see the few films I'm interested in this month. Like The Sea Wolf. Can't wait. Those films from the '70s are classics by any definition. Hell, they're just good movies and I'm happy to see them on TCM. My local video rental shops (the few left) long since cleaned house of the older titles in favour of one too many Dean Cain B movies. I can't believe that even the presence of those few films in March's schedule irks you too.

NEW YORK ? CBS Corp (CBS) and Time Warner Inc.'s (TW) Warner Brothers television network said Tuesday that they will close their respective UPN and WB networks and jointly launch the CW network.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182631,00.html

I know, I know! You all think this is GOOD.........it's change....it's progressive.

Good-o. How does this relate to TCM? Nope, it doesn't, you're right. TCM is FINE, just the way it is, it can only get better.

What're two silly little fifty year old independent television stations in the world, anyway? Are there no workhouses, are there no prisons?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183418,00.html

Hey, that's where it's at, right, tcmprogrammer?

Greed is good, right?

Right.

Rock on, CLASSIC movie lovers. There's an Anime Alley with your name on it.

Rosebud, everyone, good night and good luck.

I will say it again - the Miyazaki festival was my idea because I think of him as a filmmaker worthy of a tribute on our network. I respect the fact that you and others disagree. There certainly was no corporate pressure, it had nothing to do with the Cartoon Network, and it's hard to imagine how acquiring those films helped Time Warner's profit margin. Personally, I share your concern about media consolodation. Meanwhile, we're in the process putting together a night of never-before-on-television Valentino films and a Bette Davis star-of-the-month tribute for May, Anthony Quinn, Billy Wilder and Anthony Mann festivals in June, the Summer Under the Stars lineup in August and a whole bunch of other stuff in between. I hope you can find a couple of things that you enjoy.

I wish TCM would start showing the "B" muscials from the 30's and 40's that I used to watch on tv back in the late 50's. These were mostly in black and white, nice stories, great musical numbers and catchy tunes. Some were very patriotic and others were very touching love stories.

Well, for my first foray into the TCM boards I'll have to say that personally, I'd prefer not to see anything after 1960, but that's just me. There are some great movies from the Sixties (and maybe even early Seventies) that truly qualify as classic and belong on TCM.

TCM is a recent addition to Star Choice (my provider) and I'm absolutly loving it.

I'd be happy with nothing but movies all pre 1950, but that's just not realistic.

My only complaint would be the showing of the newer movies in prime time. I'd rather see them shown late night or during the afternoon weekday period.

Nothing more annoying than seeing I've missed some great movies while I was at work, and then get home to two or three movies from the Seventies or Eighties (ugh) during the evening, and then some great pre-code or classic movie is being shown at 2am and I'm long gone to bed.

That is my only real complaint, otherwise I'm loving the channel. I'm finally seeing movies that I haven't seen for years, and in a lot of cases, ones that I've never seen.

TCM is the best thing to happen to my television in years.

Keep up the great work guys I'm sure the programming will balance out over time.

-Brian

*Bette Davis star-of-the-month tribute for May*

I hope you're planning to show "Beyond the Forest" as part of the lineup! Please!

Also, the June festivals sound great. Sounds like a lot of good stuff coming up ahead and I'm looking forward to watching it!

As for the idea of getting movies from my local library: all of the libraries in my area have closed due to county budget cuts, which makes that option impossible. The other great thing about TCM showing "modern" movies is that they (for the most part) show them in letterbox. I watched "The Ambassador's Daughter" (1956 with Olivia de Havilland and Myrna Loy) the other night on the Encore Love Storie channel and nearly tore my hair out at the horrible Pan and Scan version they chose to show! Even Fox Movie channel shows their "modern" movies half letterboxed/half pan and scan and more often than not, I find the P/S version. It drives me crazy. Even if you hate TCM for showing the "modern" movies, you have to love the fact that they do keep the original screen ratio of the film.

Thanks again, tcmprogrammer, for you and your staff's efforts to bring us the very best (and ONLY!) classic movie channel on television each and every month, and for debunking the latest conspiracy theories put forth on these boards.

Let me echo the sentiments expressed by some others in this thread already - if you have to show some "newer" movies once in a while (to pay some bills & attract new viewers to the channel), thank you for at least showing them uncut, commercial-free, and in letterbox format (when it's available). Those three "traditions" of yours alone make this channel unique, even when compared to some of the pay channels (that others keep trumpting) which show some of these same movies.

Sounds like some exciting months of classic movie programming are ahead, I can hardly wait!