Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

The End Is Near

"What're two silly little fifty year old independent television stations in the world, anyway? Are there no workhouses, are there no prisons?"

You know, Stoneyburke, there is a difference between networks and their affiliates. And if you were really concerned with little independant stations (and considering the coverage area of WOR and WPIX in the New York City area I would hardly call them little) I have to ask if you were protesting when they became netowrk affiliates back 12 and almost 20 years ago?

I apologize if this use of fact in someway deflates your arguement. On second thought, no I don't.

Please resume your Chicken-Littleing...

Wow, thanks so much for the education, Rich.

So it doesn't bother you that CBS and Time Warner are in league on this? Well, maybe you're right, maybe the programming on the new WC will be breathtakingly innovative and daring. Or, maybe not.

Really, so you are comparing the homogenization of 2006 to the television atmosphere of even 12 years ago? Really? Since you are obviously brilliant, even you know this isn't true.

Mongo, your sycophant posts are getting a little icky.

I never mentioned any of those films irking me, especially Paper Moon which is an excellent movie, and since it is a period movie done in black and white it fits right in. The others though you can have, and watch on other channels.

the movies of the thirties and forties are far superior to anything released after 1949,with very few exceptions... I don't watch network tv,hbo,cinemax or even encore for that very reason,when TCM shows "Shampoo" my TV is off.......

So, by believing that it's okay for TCM to play Paper Moon, shouldn't they also run Raging Bull, coz it's a period-piece and in black-and-white? Also Ed Wood, coz it's also a period-piece and in black-and-white? There's qualifications for content for a 'modern' film to be shown on TCM? That's crazy. Also, I can't think of one other station I receive that will show the 'modern' films that TCM shows, as path points out, uncut, commerical-free and in the correct aspect-ratio. Why shouldn't I enjoy them on TCM? If there's something on you don't quite approve of, like my opinion of Thousands Cheer, do what I do: something else and let someone else who does like what's on watch it. Does that make sense?

Unfortunately as I have already mentioned, I find myself watching less and less of TCM. The point is that I used to watch it all the time when it used to show classic movies and nothing but classic movies.

I guess by definition you take 'classic' to mean 'old' but I really don't think Swing Your Lady is quite the same as Casablanca. It's a shame you're not watching, because almost every film airing this month is a 'classic' of one kind or another, and essential viewing for those who appreciate film history.

Unfortunately as I have already mentioned, I find myself watching less and less of TCM. The point is that I used to watch it all the time when it used to show classic movies and nothing but classic movies.>>

Hope you didn't miss all those wonderful pre-codes we enjoyed in January. Also, the line up in the late spring and early summer sounds pretty wonderful too (see TCMProgrammers post a ways down for further information)

No, I don't take classic to mean old, it just turns out that way most of the time. Oh, and thanks for informing me that certain movies are essential viewing if I appreciate film history. I would have gone on watching just the movies that I think are classics and missed Benji and Absence of Malice.

"Oh, and thanks for informing me that certain movies are essential viewing if I appreciate film history. I would have gone on watching just the movies that I think are classics and missed Benji and Absence of Malice."

I didn't actually state that you need a film history lesson. I did state that I think many of the films you don't approve of being on TCM this month are essential films for those interested in film history, Benji included (though I really can't stand Benji).

?I think many of the films you don't approve of being on TCM this month are essential films for those interested in film history,?

Hey! This isn?t a UCLA film class for rich snotty young kids who wanna dream about make modern movies. We pay our hard earned cash for our cable and satellite bills so we can see Classic movies on TCM. Benji ain?t Classic. You wanna a film school? Then sign up at UCLA.

"We pay our hard earned cash for our cable and satellite bills so we can see Classic movies on TCM."

So do I.

And the original Benji film is as much of a classic as Lassie is. Sorry to disappoint you but the evidence isn't in your favour.

Why don't you give UCLA some of your hard earned cash so they can restore more of the films you'd like to see? There's an idea.

Hmm.... Benji.... was that the dog who could open a mail box and take out a letter and then close the mail box?

I'm sure Benji also watched a lot of TV in his off-screen hours and when something came on that wasn't to his taste he changed the channel or turned it off instead of barking about it.

Well, I gave up coming back to the this board after being disgusted by the fanboys and fangirls who LOVE everything TCM does and finds some way to justify it.

Kudos to Fred for starting a reason to come back because it cannot be said enough, and for all of you out there who are tired of us bitching about stuff (just because we can never be satisfied, you know)?.TOUGH. Go read another thread.

Count me among those who are angry. We watch TCM. We don?t just view it, like the rest of you who can?t see the problems. We?ve been burned too many times by corporations who cave in to stupid pressure to be more attractive to the average idiot.

And dammit, I don?t want it to happen. I can see it coming, and I?m angry. If we don?t say anything about it, then there is no chance of fixing it. THAT?S why we?re voicing our unpopular negative opinions. I don?t want to have to change the channel when stupid crappy movies that don?t belong on the station are shown because all I?m changing it is to OTHER stupid crappy movies. TCM is supposed to be the alternative to all that, not follow the herd.

Yeah, they show other movies too and hopefully there?s something I?ll be able to enjoy. PHEH! Let?s not kid ourselves, folks. TCM is slowly killing itself in the name of BIG BUCKS because they want to appeal to more viewers?average viewers who probably think ?Dick Tracy? was made in the 50s.

Hey, tcmprogrammer, while you?re reading?can you please start posting the CORRECT RUNNING TIMES on your schedule? How hard is it to look at the number of minutes and write that down correctly? You?re getting sloppy and it?s unacceptable ? especially when you undercalculate a movie by 120 minutes!

TCM is skimping. They?re running crappy movies, wrecked their website, make bad mistakes on the scheduling and information about movies?and only recently are going to add all time-zones, because they got sick of all the complaints?not because they should DO IT anyways! For cheese sake, you guys?smarten up!

And lzcutter, before you give more incorrect information about DVD recorders ? yes, you can buy a cheap piece of crap for under $100, but they don?t come with hard-drives (they cost $800 and up) and you can?t record an entire nights worth at once. They should run the interesting and obscure decent movies during the day, not when everyone is sleeping.

Oh yeah?I don?t consider ?Benji? a classic. Neither is ?Logan?s Run?.

Fascinating stuff for sure, thanks for your insight. Yeah, I do realize that a lot of the old films may not have survived the years well, and obviously some did not survive at all. It's a shame too, but thankfully quite a few did survive, and in some instances, like you mentioned, they were able to restore cut footage. I know restoration is expensive too. I love the book by Mark Viera called Sin In Soft Focus, got a used copy off of Amazon, so many great pre-codes and a great book for info.

Can anyone here explain a bit more of the current legalities right now as far as film libraries? I'm guessing Paramount owns their pre-codes and did they also buy Columbia's or Universals? I'd like to know more about that kind of stuff, I'm guessing TCM does not have the rights to show certain movies, just wondering what they don't have access too. Looks like the MGM, Warner Bros and RKO stuff is ok obviously. Would appreciate more info on this subject if someone knows, thanks!

I certainly wouldn't mind donating money to have old movies preserved and restored, as long as I know all my money is actually going towards that, and there are no shall we say, detours! :)

"Fanboys and fangirls?" You gotta be kidding. And you probably believe there's a governmental cover-up regarding aliens in America, too. You could have nothing at all. Be satisfied with what you've got and stop whining or you and several others should mail their applications and qualifications to TCM for the programmer's position. Until they hire you...

So?until they hire me?.I have no right to complain?

Like slaves should be happy they only got a clip on the head instead of a severe flogging?

We are the customers. If I went to grocery store, bought some cheese, got home and it turned out to be expired and moldy?you're saying I don?t have a right to take it back to the store and complain, and demand they do a better job? I guess if I want things to change, I have to own the grocery store, right?

Don?t be an idiot.

Sorry. Your comparisons aren't appropriate. The films airing on TCM that you're complaining about aren't cheese (of the edible sort), expired or moldy. They're perfectly fine.

Don't be an idiot, you say? Don't self-project.

Yipes, time to stop reading this forum thread. It's getting nasty. I'll be staying with the other thread along this line "I'm worried about TCMs future". I'm not worried about TCM as much as I'm worried about this "discussion" becoming polarized name calling.