Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

The End Is Near

And lzcutter, before you give more incorrect information about DVD recorders ? yes, you can buy a cheap piece of crap for under $100, but they don?t come with hard-drives (they cost $800 and up) and you can?t record an entire nights worth at once. They should run the interesting and obscure decent movies during the day, not when everyone is sleeping.>>

Fudge,

I was referring to a DVR (Tivo) not a DVD recorder. You can get a DVR with an 80 gig hard drive for under $100 dollars (if you keep an eye out for the rebate coupon). You can store up to eighty hours of programming on it.

We bought a DVD-Recorder for under $300 last year. It serves as our DVD Player and allows us to record to DVD movies and such from our DVR.

Actually, you can get a "good quality" Pioneer/Panasonic/JVC DVD recorder with an 80mb hard drive for between $350 and $400. If you had Tivo, then you could get by with just a standard DVD recorder (without a hard drive) and those can be had in the low $100's range on sale or with rebate. The problem with Tivo (and I don't have it, so I could be wrong) but I read somewhere that it has the capability of not letting you record certain programs to DVD. I just have a standard DVD recorder and so am limited to recording only one movie at a time, but it does work flawlessly.

If you had Tivo, then you could get by with just a standard DVD recorder (without a hard drive) and those can be had in the low $100's range on sale or with rebate. The problem with Tivo (and I don't have it, so I could be wrong) but I read somewhere that it has the capability of not letting you record certain programs to DVD.>>

We have a Tivo with an 80 gig hard drive in it that we bought in December of 2004 for under $100. I have programs that I recorded over a year ago still on it that I haven't put on DVD yet. We record various programs to our Tivo on various channels and have never run into the problem of certain programs not recording.

To turn this into tech-thread, "a "good quality" Pioneer/Panasonic/JVC DVD recorder with an 80mb hard drive for between $350 and $400". Which one do have that works flawlessly? Like Fudge believes, I must be an idiot, I first bought the super-cheap CyberHome DVR 1600 (coz I don't have oodles of colesaw to shell out for a top-notch one) and half of what I recorded didn't work properly and all of the recordings sound somewhat like a warped record. After wasting the opportunity of 100 pristine films (of which I've watched many seven or eight), I took it back and got a Lite-On (because it's got a price I can afford). Its manner of recording seems okay, a little dark in the night-scenes, but my playback machine won't play any discs the Lite-On burns except Sony DVD+RW. Go figure. Infant technology! At least I knew what I could expect with VHS.

I certainly wouldn't mind donating money to have old movies preserved and restored, as long as I know all my money is actually going towards that, and there are no shall we say, detours! :) >>

At the risk of incurring Fred's wrath over mentioning the dreaded UCLA, I would recommend looking at the UCLA Film and Television Archives as a place to make donations for film preservation. They do an outstanding job of preservation and restoration. In addition, every August they host a Preservation Festival where they screen films that have undergone restoration.

I have the "Walmart Special" Pioneer DVR 231. I have recorded about 300 movies so far with it and haven't had any problems yet. It is quite impressive when you consider that it was running pretty much continously during the Loretta Young/Kay Francis and Robert Montgomery days on TCM. The prices that I was quoting for the "Hard Drive" models were from Walmart online. I see that the price for the new model Pioneer without the hard drive is $198. It seems to me that I got mine on sale last year for $149 though. The problem may be with the media that you use. After much research, I determined that Taiyo Yuden (Japan) makes the best blank media. I can get them online for a little less than .40 per when purchased in bulk. The junk media that walmart/bestbye and staples sell is usually made in Taiwan crap that is less than reliable though every bit, if not more, expensive. I have never owned any "Lite-On" or "Cyberhome" products so I can't vouch for their quality personally, but my unit is the very bottom of Pioneer's line of DVRs. I should mention as well that I only record in "two-hour" mode. I play the resulting DVDs on a 108" screen via projector and the quality is very good. Not commercial DVD quality (due to the limited resolution of the broadcast source) but, every bit as good as that source. Were you recording in four or eight hour modes? If so, that would account for your low quality sound.

Can anyone here explain a bit more of the current legalities right now as far as film libraries? I'm guessing Paramount owns their pre-codes and did they also buy Columbia's or Universals? I'd like to know more about that kind of stuff, I'm guessing TCM does not have the rights to show certain movies, just wondering what they don't have access too.>>

This is from a post by CoffeeDan from about five months ago (hope he doesn't mind me posting it here- it really ought to be a sticky on all the forums:

The Turner library holdings consist of the pre-1986 MGM library, the pre-1949 Warner Brothers library, and the entire RKO library.

Universal controls its own films, plus the pre-1949 Paramount talkies.

Paramount controls its own films from 1949 to the present, and all of its silent features.

Warner Brothers controls its own films from 1949 to the present, plus some independently produced films.

20th Century Fox controls its own films, plus the libraries of its pre-1935 corporate elements, the Fox Film Corporation and 20th Century Pictures, Inc.

The newly-created corporate entity Sony/MGM probably controls both the entire Columbia/Tristar library and the MGM library from 1986 to the present.

United Artists is a bit difficult to determine, because they distributed independent films in addition to producing their own films. I'm guessing that they have the rights to the latter, and not the former. Before merging with MGM in 1979, they controlled the pre-1949 Warners Brothers library.

The terms for leasing films varied from distributor to distributor. Some would charge by the day for an unlimited number of showings per day, and others would charge for each individual showing. From the brief time I spent working in television, I know that TV stations would lease certain packages of titles (hand-picked by the lessee and/or the distributor) for long-term arrangements, anywhere from 6 months to 5 years or longer, depending on the terms negotiated. But I've never seen a deal for a complete library of films from any one studio, only for packages of titles previously agreed upon.

Eight-hour modes? No way. Two-hour SP, one film per disc (unless it's under an hour), and the CyberHome problem (mentioned a lot on AVS Forum) is present on all, though not as noticeable on early 1930s films due to the lack of violin and constant music. Is the DVR 231 the one with the VCR as well, or just a stand-alone recorder? Like you, mine was running through the Young/Francis/Montgomery films and others but Our Blushing Brides, Week-end Marriage, Play-Girl and many more were coasters. My Lite-On's a WalMart deal as well and they carry a Pioneer but I can't remember the code. I was liking the Maxell and Memorex discs with the other machine but I guess I'll be going with the Sony now. Hopefully they play in future machines (the one they play on now was bought in 2000, before, I think DVD+RW technology)....

My Pioneer is the one without the VCR. I just watched Play-Girl last night as a matter of fact. If you are going to buy Maxell's try to find the ones that are made in Japan. The made in Taiwan ones are not as good. I have heard that Walmart and some of the other big retailers could have them all mixed up on the shelves. I have never heard anything good about the Memorex's and much of my info comes from the AVS Forum. That is where I learned about the Taiyo Yuden's. I think my Pioneer only plays DVD-R/RW so I only record on that format. The DVD+ is more of a computer based format and has less compatibility with home players.

In regards to Allieharding's post: Those new Panasonics do indeed look good. Panasonic has an excellent reputation when it comes to DVD technology.

I don't much about the difference between DVD-RW and DVDRW. I just started with the DVDRW because I like the idea of recording over something I screw up. Thanks for explaining the difference between the two. As I don't play on my compiter, would you suggest I try the -RW and see how that works?

Yes, I would try the DVD R- format. Also, unless you are iffy about whether or not you will be keeping the recording, I would just stick with the plain old DVD R-s and not mess with the DVD RWs. Since you already know about the AVS Forum, you should go there and do a search to find out which kind of media that your DVD Recorder "Likes" Some brands have trouble recording/playing different media. For instance, as good as the Taiyo Yudens are supposed to be, they have problems playing on Panasonics. If you find the right type of media for your recorder, your problems may just go away.

Hi Johnny,

I have a Panasonic EMR-ES30V. I think I paid about $279 for it. It will record DVD- and DVD and RAM. So far, I?ve used only DVDR disks. These have to be ?finalized? after they are recorded. This takes about 3 minutes. Then they can be played on any machine both in the US and Australia, and both on any DVD player and on Computer DVD drives.

I use Verbatim DVD+R disks. I tried using some Sony disks but several of them stopped recording right in the middle of the timer recordings. I don?t know why, but several hundred Verbatim disks have never done that.

My DVDR disks are high quality, even on the slow speed, and so far they have been compatible with everyone else?s players. I?ve sent out a couple of hundred copies of various programs and some of my old documentaries, and the ?finalized? DVDR disks play on computers and on all DVD players where they have been used so far.

This machine also has a VHS recorder/player in it for taping off TV and for making direct dubs from VHS to DVD. The dub quality is excellent, even on slow speeds. I can record 6 hours on DVD and then the machine will switch over and record another 8 hours on tape.

Thanks Fred. Just the other day a friend of mine gave me a few different DVD+Rs and, testing them with The Wings of Eagles, Fort Apache and a few others I really didn't need to record, after I finalized them none of them would play in my other machine. It is six years old, though. Maybe it's time to upgrade before I waste more money. I've got a heck of lot of Maxell/Memorex discs that are absolutely useless now. Should have done the homework before but the films I wanted after I got my machine came on too soon to figure out the proper format and I just kept hoping my first recorder would sort itself out. Now I think I just have to find the right disc. I don't think I've ever seen a Verbatim disc. I keep a lookout and test a couple out.

I have the Sony RDR-XG300 DVD Recorder that I purchased about 8 months ago and I never record any thing longer that the LP-Mode which is 3 hours. I can record all channels off of DirectTV including Pay per-view with it. I have herd rumers that some new recorders reconize flags that prevent the recording of some channels, is this true? As far as disc format go I can only use a 1X - 8X DVD +/- R/RW disc. I use Sony, TDK, Verbatim, Fuji and Philps ( which ever is on sale for $14.99 per 50 count when I need to restock).

And Now here is my rant that everyone does..........

There are two technologies that have emerged that are competing with each other for your dollars. One is the technology of freedom and the other is the technology of control. Your satellite and cable providers are the technologies of control along with Time Warner, Viacom and Fox News Corp. The other is companies like Netflix, Blockbuster online and other companies that provide online movie downloads. Once the television gets connected to the computer all technologies of control will lose out. Why should some programmer working for some corporation decide what you want to watch?

It may take five more years for this revolution to impact on the control side, but they will notice that they do have competition and they will react. How many of you send $20.00 to $40.00 to Netflix instead of sending it to your provider for Pay-Per-View or the ordering of Premium Movie channels? How many of you use DVD recorders that have their own TV-Guide software so that you do not have to send a $5.00 a month fee to them for using a DVR device? You are using new technologies that take away dollars from the control side and giving it to the freedom side.

In short, you may think that you have no control of what shows up on your screen, that you are at the whim of some corporation that decides what you want to see, but maybe you are smarter than what you think. Maybe the choices that you are making today has someone worried, someone rethinking their survival.

I used to have Netflix and it started off great. I could order three movies at a time and get them within two days. After about two months of flawless service, they "lost" my first disc. Which meant that they now could only send me two movies instead of the three that I subscribed to. After that, they always didn't receive one of my movies until they had shipped the first two. I later found out that this practice was called "Throttling" and it was done in order to allow them to charge me for a three-at-time plan while delivering a two-at-a-time plan. In this way, I was paying around $9.00 more than the service that they were actually providing me with. Once, I determined that this was happening to me, I cancelled. What was amazing is, even as they were giving me the throttle, they were sending me offers to "move up" to a four-at-a-time of even a seven-at-a-time plan! I would never trust those shysters now.

That being said, have you looked at what movies are offered on "Pay-Per-View"? I wouldn't watch those movies if they were free, let alone pay $5.00 to see them.

In my opinion, the best bet to have control over what you are viewing, is to get a DVD recorder and just record everything that looks even halfway interesting on TCM. What isn't available on TCM, buy on DVD. That way when and if they ever pull the plug, you will have something to fall back on. That's what I'm doing. If there were no TCM available, my cable provider would be getting their box back toot-sweet!

Johnnyweeks-

Do the movies that won't play on your DVD player, play on your recorder? I am assuming that you are finalizing the discs after recording. If they do, then the problem lies with the media that you are using with regards to your DVD player. It could be that your older player, simply will not play DVD R or DVD RW. If that is the case, switching to the DVD -R should solve your problem.

I too have experienced the "throttling" to which you refer. When I was under a free trial, and then a gift certificate period, I got great service. I was on the 3 at a time plan and could send & receive 6 per week ... now it's more like 3 per week, which is still pretty good ($1.50 each film), especially given their excellent selection.

I can't argue with their selection. It is incredible. I would recommend that everyone sign up for their free trial, rent everything that you can and then dump them. That way you will have had nothing but the best of them. I generally don't condone doing these sorts of things, but these guy's are a special case.

Yeah, the films play in the new recorder but I like the playback better on the other. New recordings made on Sony DVDRWs play fine (except two or three) but done of the Maxell and Memorex will. As I mentioned, I've only recorded two films on DVDRs and they wouldn't play but I checked my step-daughter's DVD-Rs and they will. So I got some DVD-Rs tonight and I hope they work or I'm just gonna have to scream!

All of you seem up to date on this stuff so...Anyone here know how to work the Sylvania VCR-DVD recorder? I'd like to transfer some stuff to DVD, but last time I tried it, I runied one of my Robert Taylor movies! (sniff, sniff). The manual is no help. I'm usually good at figuring things out, but this has me stumped! Anyone else here have the Media Center on their computer? thanks....Huntress

Huntress,

Hmm, maybe you can give us the model number of your machine and maybe someone here can download the instruction manual and tell you how to make the dub. A lot of these machines are different and confusing.

Johnny, it seems to me that the disks recorded on your first recorder should play on your newer recorder if they have been finalized.

I think I need to read the manual again, then try it with another movie I have an extra copy of. I was hoping with this new computer there wouldbe some way to get the vcr to speak to it and record on to dvd that way. There has to be some kind of contraption made to do that! LOL Thanks for your help. They are very confusing sometimes. I'm trying to make more space, which I will fill up again with more films! LOL