Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Macintosh Users

I would be interested to know if there are any Macintosh users out there using OS9.2 with a G4 machine that are having trouble accessing the TCM web site.

When I log into the site it just opens and none of the buttons work.

The schedule in only in ET.

I am 64 and frustrated.

Why don't they have a week of Julia Roberts films?

Hello Nav1 -

You should only be seeing issues viewing our site with your Macintosh if you are running Internet Explorer. Microsoft has announed they no longer support IE for Macintosh, and as a result, Internet Explorer for Mac has not been updated in over a year. Most sites are recommending a move to a more secure and updated web browser if you are on a Mac. We recommend you use either Macintosh's Safari 1.2 or later, or later versions of Netscape. Our highest recommedation goes to Mozilla's Firefox - a very good, user freindly, secure browser for Mac, but you would need to upgrade to OS X for use of Firefox.

If you are using Safari and/or Netscape and still encounter problems, please let us know (we have tested for both of these on Mac with no issues, but not on OS 9).

Hope this helps. Thank you.

tcmweb

Thanks for the info. I am using Netscape 7.01 with OS9.2. All the software I have inveted in over the years will only work on 9.2. I can't afford to go out and buy all new software to support the other side of my machine which runs OSX 10.4 Tiger (one of those packages of software now costs over $1,000). I still run a newer version of Netscape on that side of the machine, but the buttons still do not work on the top of the page. I have a dsl hook up, and the video only works on about half of trailers you offer. Since I printed out many of those pages I have the URL's printed at the top of the page and I am able to access them by typing them into my browser.

I must say though that everything worked fine untill you redesigned you web site.

Nav1 -

If you are not seeing buttons up at the top of the page, we believe this may be due to the fact you haven't updated your Flash player. Older versions of Flash on Macs have been known to cause this problem. We recommend you upgrade as the newer player will actually make your pages run smoother in Netscape. Here is a link to the latest Flash download page:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

We hope that helps - let us know.

tcmweb

I see the buttons on the top of the page, they just sit there they don't do anything. I upgraded my Flash player, and trashed my Internet Explorer. The one thing that it wants me to do is install Windows Media Player. When I run my machine on 0x10 it players video with real player, some of the time. The problem with Windows Media Player is that it won't install on my system. It just freezes and I have to restart the computer.

I guess I should just go down to COSCO, and buy one of those Microsoft computers and get on the boat with the rest of the world. The system that made all that possible is now obsolete. I have seen in the news that the new versions of Macintosh will have Pentium processors. Well, so much for two guys that put together one of the greatest operating systems ever. I guess Steve Jobs couldn't keep it together.

What other recommendations could you offer me. (I have already heard the one to shoot myself)

Nav1

You want to know where Nav1 comes from? That is what I was referred to in the USAF, as a navigator in B52s, from 1962-1966. It wasn't really Nav1, It was Nav, or R--------, It is a sorry chapter in my life, and I hope no one ever has to do that job again the way it was then. You probably weren't even born yet.

You don't need Windows Media Player with OSX, you can trash that too. Go to the apple logo at the top all the way to the left and click on software updates to see what updates apple says you need and check the ones that have to do with Java, Safari and any updates to OSX like 10.9 is the current one . Uncheck any updates that you may not need like Ipod or IPhoto and so forth.

I am talking about OS 9.2! Is that no longer supported? I talked to my brother tonight and he has an i- mac. and running OS9 and he sees everything fine on your site. I have a e-mac G4 and running 0s9.2. I get a dead screen. Some things work and others don't. What's up. It worked fine till you redesigned you web. If you have a back up of your last web site you might want your developers to take a careful look into what worked before and doesn't work now ie: ET vs MT, WT! Don't ever forget that we are the baby boomers and we have more money to spend that those children we brought into the world. We are retiring and don't want problems like this in our lives. Going to the cardiologist, and other doctors takes up a lot of our time. But we like you station.

I just visited your site using my OS 9.2 software, and joy upon joy it is coming to life again.

Why don't you just admit you tried to post a web site that was beyond the developers you hired?

I spent over $500 buying new software and trying to find out what was wrong with my e-Mac.

Please tell me what your new web site dose that your old one didn't do? The current one offers me less!

What about that?

Hi Nav1, I'm just a TCM fan like yourself. I have worked on Apple computers and know mostly about OSX. OS 9.2 or Classic Mode has been dropped by apple for some years, put you can run classic mode from Aqua for any old software that you use and use OSX (Aqua) for internet use. If you don't then you will have trouble with any site using Flash. Firefox for OSX works good and you can add extensions to it like Flash. If you know how to use Windows XP you won't have any trouble getting around with Aqua, they are similar in how they behave.

In closing if you boot up in Aqua, then click on some of your old software classic mode will start-up and run in a separate window. Aqua treats classic mode as software and not as an OS. Sorry if this doesn't help you and you just want to stay with OS 9.2, it's just that Aqua works better with Apple Computers just like XP works better with Windows Computers.

What is Aqua? I have an e-mac that runs both OS 9 and 0S 10.4 I can switch between the two systems. The reason I use 9 is that most of the software I have will not run on OSX... I am retired and can't afford to buy all new software every two or three years. Most of my good friends are all dead now and I miss their e-mail.

Sorry to confuse you, Aqua is just the GUI interface name for OSX. I'll try to help you in any way I can getting around in OSX (Aqua).While in OSX,if you click on and open open your Macintosh HD, there is a folder there for OS9.2. Open that folder and open the Application folder.Then open the folder for your software (say Word for MacOffice97) and drag the Icon for Word software (W) down and place it in the Dock, (that is the bar at the bottom) then you can click it and it will start up classic mode. What I was trying to say but did a poor job of saying it is that when you open MacOffice97 or something like it in OSX, classic mode will open, load and start up on top of OSX as software. So in short, you do not need to be in OS 9.2 to use your software, OSX knows that you are opening something that requires classic mode and will start it up and load it for you. To go between the two just click on the Aqua (OSX) Desktop and classic becames hidden.

I know it is hard to learn a new OS but just play with it and you will catch on.

Allie

Hello - we also wanted to clarify the use of Windows Media Player files on TCM's web site. We have begun to switch our video offerings, over time, only to Windows Media Player versions. Moving forward, we will discontinue the supply of Real Player versions of new video added to TCM's web site. The reason for this was both security and support from Real Networks. The adoption rate of WMP is extremely high for both PC and Mac. We will continue to offer the thousands of previously encoded Real Player encodes on our site, but to view new video (which will be a majority of the video that is offered in the right section of our pop-up video player), you will only be able to see these via WMP. We're sorry if this causes any inconvenience. Thank you.

tcmweb

Hi tcmweb1,

I installed Windows Media Player for OSX 4.3 and it doesn't work on your site, but it dose no microsoft's site. I installed the plug-in in both safari, and Netscape. They just don't work.The only ones that work are the real player ones. I just can't believe that everything worked on your old web site and now nothing works. Just be honest and tell me what the problem is. I know Mac has a short life left, but I am to old to lean new tricks.

Thank you for your help. I gress I have really fallen of the cart. I knew the Classic mode so well, but now I know nothing about the OSX system. Your suggestions proved to be true. I can open files that are in the OS9 side of my computer without restarting the machine in os9. The problem I am having now is that I own the entire Adobe font library as of 1998, and I can't put all those in the where ever in OSX. I think these are some of the reasons I am having problems. I think I need to buy more software, like the new version of Suitcase.

You have been very kind and helpful. Maybe we should start a Mac problem thread. I know it has nothing to do with TCM, but they changed their web site that worked fine before for a few more bells and whistles.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Since our last communication, I have upgraded to OSX 10.4.5, Netscape 7.2, and Shockwave(flash player) 8, Windows Media player 9.0. and Safari 2.0.3. The files on your web site still do not play in the Windows Media format but do (some of them) in the Real Player format. Your schedule still only prints out in Eastern time, except for the daily or weekly schedule which shows both ET, and PT. You told me that you would have this fixed soon. That was back in January. I can play all the Videos on the AMC site, which I believe is a part of the TCM family of co. I used to get the News videos from ABC TV, but at least they are honest and say they no longer support the Macintosh OS. I know that Macintosh, that used to lead the way in all the graphics that are used on the internet today as well as the develpoment of digital printing, is soon going the way of the off the shelf of PC. I am now using a unix system that I don't understand at all, and I am too old to start over. Thanks for writing out the largest group of spenders in the economy of the U.S. Just remember we are the ones buying all the stuff you sell. I used to buy DVD's from you, but it took forever to receive the product. I just bought a DVD from Amazon that cost 8.95 new. and at Movies Unlimited cost 14.99.

Well so much for all that. Why don't you get the same guys that did AMC web site to fix yours. Apparently the ones that developed your previous site knew what they were doing. You think you are going to get some award for your great "flashey" site. The only one that deserves an award from your site got his last week on Hollywood Boulevard. I hope he leaves you before you destroy his career.

I have an iBook and the Windows Media player doesn't work for me either, even after upgrading it. The only problem I have is the Scene It Trivia game on the site. Once in a while, when I know I chose the right answer, it doesn't say whether it's right or wrong and takes away a point anyway.

I was using an older version of OS X and the windows media player didn't work with that version. I went out and got the latest version 10.4.5 and the Windows player 9.0 works fine on other sites, as well as the netscape home page which has a lot of video on it. It works on the AMC site as well as others. I never tried that game on the TCM site, as I suffer from some brain dammage as a reslult of a heart attack I had nine years ago. I am not as swift as I once was. I have a simple card game that I used to play and have the scores from that on my computer. I can only achieve about 1/3 the levels I used to.

Hello -

We're sorry for the problems - we are investigating getting the video working for Windows Media on Mac browswers. We will post here once this is fixed. Thank you for the detailed information, this is helpful.

We have tested the Trivia Game on all Mac browsers and it has consistently worked for us. You may need to check your preferences and ensure JavaScript is enabled as this effects the countdown timer. Please let us know if you are still unnable to complete the Trivia Game.

tcmweb

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I hope you can find a solution to the Windows Media Player problem, Also, do you think you will ever be posting Central and Pacific time zones again with your monthly printable schedule?

The Trivia Game seemed to work well on my system, although I didn't do very well for other reasons.

Nav1