Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under the Stars 2006 wishlist

I wouldn't mind a day of rarely seen Dietrich, such as Knight Without Armour and Scarlet Empress.

Or even four days devoted to composers Alfred Newman, Miklos Rozsa, Max Steiner, and Erich Wolfgang Korngold (even though they don't come under the heading of "Stars". Each day would have a great variety of films when you consider each did so many different kinds of movies.

Yes, Ray Milland was spotlighted on August 9, 2005 with the following (15) films:

Way for a Sailor (1930), Strangers May Kiss (1931), The Man Who Played God (1932), Blonde Crazy (1931), The Bachelor Father (1931), Payment Deferred (1932), Wise Girl (1937), A Life of Her Own (1950), The Major and the Minor (1942), The Uninvited (1944), Ministry of Fear (1944), The Lost Weekend (1945), The Safecracker (1958), Irene (1940), & Just a Gigolo (1931)

Many of those Ray Milland films unfortunately fell under the 'blink-and-you-miss-him' category. I wish TCM could have gotten a hold of more of his later Paramount stuff. I'm dying to see Lady in the Dark and Arise, My Love.

Speaking of Ray, I read his autobiography a few months ago and I highly recommend it. It's called Wide-Eyed in Babylon. It's not in print but it can be had for cheap on eBay.

ExtraGirl,

One of the problems with getting films from Paramount is convincing the folks in charge there that they actually own the films. Paramount does not preserve and restore its studio library as well as some of the others in town. Also, they may be slower than others to upgrade their older holdings to current digital formats as well.

Some actors who I'd like to see get a day in Summer Under the Stars:

Montgomery Clift

Ronald Colman

Charles Boyer

Rock Hudson

Errol Flynn

I didn't have TCM 2 summers ago, but I don't think any of these guys had a day last August, anyway....