Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
flickerknickers

Worst Movie

What movie do you hate so bad you'd rather have root canal than be forced to watch? The very thought of being forced to watch "Gypsy" (with the screaming, hollaring Rosalind Russell) and "Hello Dolly" (with Babs Streisand doing her patented Mae West imitation throughout) would make me jump off the Brooklyn Bridge. What are some of the movies you simply love to hate?

This is my response to WORST movie. It was taken from an earlier post from the "Destroy This Movie" discussion at the "Your Favorites" forum.

Am I alone in this mad world but does anyone else out there feel that "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (1963) is without a doubt the WORST attempt at comedy in the history of the Western world?

First of all, they kill off poor Jimmy Durante at the beginning of the picture, giving us the only good laugh in the entire film: Durante literally kicks the bucket!

Then we are subjected to almost 3 hours of overacting, mugging, great comedians trying to upstage everyone (even when they have a solo shot), lame jokes, cameos (some good, some bad) and deliberately putting people in harms way in an attempt to be funny.

When I first saw this film, I was 9 years old and I did laugh. The next time I saw this film, I was 15 and didn't find anything funny. Every three years or so after, I have attempted to sit down with an open mind and watch it beginning to end. However, I get about 45 minutes into the film and MUST shut it off... it's that painful.

This is a film that made AFI's 100 Greatest Comedies; am I missing something? Why am I in favor of gathering all the copies of this film and shooting them into space? Perhaps not... it might cause an invasion! Does anyone agree?

Captain, I actually felt that way about Cannonball Run, and although I don't HATE Mad (x4) World, I see your point. I have to say, though, that what I think of as "worst" tend to fall under the "over-rated" category that was a popular topic some time ago. Movies like Citizen Kane, Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, and Gladiator were on my list. Obviously, the real "worst" would be something like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

I'm sorry captain, but I have to defend "Mad World." I guess it would be my "guilty pleasure," because as I said in another post, it has no artistic merit at all, but is just a really fun movie. I first saw it when I was a kid, and was enthralled by all the goings on, I guess that's why I still like it. And Ernest Gold's score WAS good. Hearing the L.A. Philharmonic play that sweeping music throughout is one of the better things about it. And even though her mouth gets on your nerves, Ethel Merman makes the perfect mother-in-law to Milton Berle.

I have to agree with Paty on "Hello, Dolly." Everything about it was awful, except the three minutes of screen time they gave to Louis Armstrong.

It is difficult to pick a movie that is the "worst" of all time. However, I can easily choose some truly "bad" ones - for instance - as much as I love Norma Shearer, "Her Cardboard Lover," with Robert Taylor was awful, as well as Garbo's "Two Faced Woman." No wonder both of these talented ladies ended their careers after appearing in these clunkers. And I think that "Tootsie," is a total piece of crap. I couldn't understand how it made the AFI list. Dustin Hoffman was awful in it, and the whole story was cliched and stupid. I could go on all day, but those were the first that came to mind.

Moviejoe, this was my reply to the original post under "Destroy This Movie":

Why try to watch this film? I'm still trying to figure that out... Maybe it's because deep down, I want to like the film. I laughed when I was a kid, so why not now? Maybe it's because people react strongly when I tell them I hate this movie.

Maybe it's because watching this film is like watching an accident scene; you don't want to watch but curiousity wins over and you're compelled to do so. I've had friends tell me "You have to see the restored version". Yeah, them adding yet another 1/2 hour of footage will REALLY make me want to watch it.

NOW! Tonight, June 3, 2002 at 11 PM EST, TCM will be showing "Mad x 4 World". I will tape it and on my next day off try to watch it again. If I'm alive afterwards, I'll report my findings.

I'm sad to report I still couldn't get thru the movie.

TV has ruined nearly every attempt at musical remakes. I still cringe at that screaming, hollaring, quivering mess called "Bye, Bye Birdie." There was no direction. A miserable cast. Even worse was the atrocity called "South Pacific." Watching a 61-year-old Glenn Close prancing around the beach and warbling "I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Outta My Hair" is a sight for the ages. One other remake nightmare. One of my favorite fantasy films, "Jason and the Argonauts" was done beautifully in the 60s. The remake featured a scrawny, beach dude hero who looked like he had just parked his gum at the back of the cheek and is ready to say, "Duh!"

Just about any Barbra Streisand movie.

A Fish Called Wanda - walked out on it at the theater, and could only tolerate it for about 5 minutes when it aired on cable. Way too nasty for my taste.

Almost Famous - such a sugar-coated, made-for-TV-style, false depiction of the 70s, and so many meaningless and fawning close-up shots of Kate Hudson. Totally nauseated me.

The recent release, The Hours - such a great cast, reduced to 2 1/2 hours of whining, self-pity and narcissism. And it's so unbelieavable to hear about Nicole Kidman's cold, mannered, one-note performance as beomg the Best Actress front-runner. There's obviously no limit as to what Miramax's $$$ can buy.

I don't know why, but even my least favorite old movies are not as hate-inducing to me as movies of the past 10 years or so.

Once I see Glenn Ford's mug show up on my 32" I go surfing the ole' digital! I can tolerate The Big Heat but just barely because of Ford and this is a great movie. As far as one particular movie.......Spartacus, I can't stand it!

I just watched the new Madonna DVD--"Swept Away." Believe me, it should be swept away into the trash pile. The absolute pits, not a believable minute in it and Madonna has never looked worse! I would rank it with "Heaven's Gate" as the biggest bomb from a major studio I've ever seen. Geeeeesh, I'm getting a headache from just thinking about.

Madonna and her husband should be strung up with piano wire for trying to REMAKE a clssic!!!! It was done right the first time!!!! And they used Giannini's son no less in their crime!

I know there are a lot of Judy Garland fans out there. I know because I am one. A big on as a matter of fact. But I just didn't like 'For me and my Gal' I don't know I just didn't like it. Now it wasn't bad or anything I got got board. And I do like It's 'A Mad World' it inspired the movie It's a million Dollar Mystery and that other new movie that came out with Mr. Bean and Whoppie Goldberg in it. So don't insult it.

Thank you anniehall for defending "Mad World." I have loved this movie ever since I was a kid, and I DO find it genuinely entertaining. Just watching the cameo appearances by famous comedy stars is fun. And I have to agree with you on "For Me and My Gal." I'm also a Garland fan, as well as a big Gene Kelly fan, but this musical didn't interest me much either. There's one scene where Garland sings "After You've Gone," which she does well of course, but most of it is not too interesting. I remember it being too melodramatic, and I guess I didn't enjoy seeing the sappy stuff mixed in with great musical performances. It just didn't flow right.

Anything with Kim Novak. She was one of the worst actresses (if you can her that) I've ever seen. All she did was talk with this breathy voice. I guess she thought it was sexy. She was completly useless.

I agree with you Mirabelle, but those qualities made her just about perfect as Madge Sinclair in the wonderful "Picnic." Madge was "tired of just being pretty!" Also featuring one of Rosalind Russell's best performances along with Bill Holden's as Hal.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have to disagree about Kim Novak. I thought she was great in "Vertigo." She gave a very intense performance and actually looked "possessed" by this woman who had died many years ago. Granted, she is not a GREAT actress, but she holds her own. That breathless, sexy persona of hers is called for in many of the roles she's played, like the girl who's nuts over Sinatra in "Pal,Joey," and the floosy in "Kiss Me Stupid." Kim Novak's ok in my book.

I have to vote for "Attack From Mars" and "Mom and Dad Save the World." I can't believe I sat through those two

I still think "Pulp Fiction" is over rated and "Mad Mad World" was too too long!

This is not any particular movie but a style I find hard to watch. It's the old westerns where the costume designer has the cowboys in taylored shirts with piping or fringe. Their gun belts and saddles are covered with silver studs. Their hats are crisp and also over decorated. After watching movies like Ox Bow Incident, Stagecoach, etc. this style of movies are hard to swallow

I'm with you, I can't stand "Citizen Kane". I LOVE Doctor Zhivago, I'd have to love it for the camera work if nothing else. I couldn't say, as far as new release movies go-I never watch them, haven't watched one, except for "Titanic" in years. (Those good films on "A&E" don't count, LOL). I hate Westerns where the women's hair is too obviously an anachronism(which I guess is a LOT of them!), and most movies starting with the Fifties(I have exceptions of course). I LIKE those strange Harryhausen movies-especially "Clash of the Titans" and "Atlantis". The Fifties and Sixties seem like the worst for shoving their style aesthetic into movies where it didn't belong-no matter WHAT, the female has a variation of a cinched waist in the Fifties, or a teased poofy backcombed hairstyle in the Sixties. It aggravates me to death!

But I just a Western where Lana Turner had as Forties a pompadour as she could have-that was aggravating too.