Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

March 2016 SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE

HoldenIsHere

A Peter Fonda night on the 29th is pretty cool.

Sure wish they'd managed to get 'Open Season' (1974) for us, though.

That movie is as rare as hens teeth - never released on DVD. Well done (and disturbing) "most dangerous game" riff with Peter, William Holden, Richard Lynch, Cornelia Sharpe and John Philip Law. I heard a rumour that Cornelia Sharpe is ashamed of the movie and has had hubby Martin Bregman - a big time producer - somehow prevent the official release of it on home video.

Perfect movie to show on 'Underground'.

• Like 3

You beat me by two minutes, LOL--Am SO happy TCM is showing "The Wicker Man" (1973), even though it's an edited version.  Lord Summerisle is one of Christopher Lees' best performances, IMHO, & Britt Ekland is good also.

How do you know it's an edited version?

Walter Hill's 'The Driver' (1978) on the 26th is a cult item well worth circling on the old calendar.

Wow - I'm only about 15 percent of the way through (I'm working backward, ay) and already see this one in addition to 'The Wicker Man'. I'm getting excited.

Dammit!

Jerry Lewis' 90th birthday and still we don't get 'The Patsy' (1964). That's my favorite Lewis movie and it's never shown on TCM.

They are giving us 'The King of Comedy' (1983), though. Score. Lewis plays it straight as a Johnny Carson-type host of a late night talk show who's pestered by a determined and clearly insane wannabe named Rupert Pupkin, played by Robert DeNiro. Good one - not to be missed.

• Like 4

Not bad- I haven't gone over it with a fine-tooth comb yet, but I'm excited to see Akira Kurosawa (23rd) and Dirk Bogarde (28th) daytime tributes. Many films I'm looking forward to and will no doubt be missing.

• Like 1

There is something I just noticed about the March 2016 schedule. 

For the last few years, TCM's weekly Star of the Month marathons have always been on either Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays.  Fridays have been reserved for the special monthly theme spotlights with a guest host.    For this March 2016, there isn't any special monthly theme, and the Star of the Month weekly marathons are all on Fridays, and the Star of the Month is Merle Oberon.

It looks like a good salute with plenty of her movies.   I was just a little disappointed that her film "This love of ours" is not part of the line-up.   On second thought, I'm not sure that TCM has ever aired it.   I can't remember whether or not it is listed in the "films that TCM has aired" thread.

Not bad- I haven't gone over it with a fine-tooth comb yet, but I'm excited to see Akira Kurosawa (23rd) and Dirk Bogarde (28th) daytime tributes. Many films I'm looking forward to and will no doubt be missing.

I wish on the Bogarde day they would show THE SERVANT.

• Like 1

One wonders whether The Ritz will remain on the schedule.

I could swear Cries and Whispers was on the schedule once before but got pulled for a memorial tribute.

Ooh, El Greco shows up. I hope it's letterboxed; the last time it was on the Fox Movie Channel ages ago is was panned and scanned which made it trule awful. I could swear there were scenes in which both of the people talking to each other were panned-and-scanned out of the picture.

Our Mother's House is on the schedule again! Woohoo!

Hibi & HoldenIsHere--Full version of "The Wicker Man" runs 102 minutes.  The version on the schedule runs 89 minutes.

Edit: read TCM article on it, IMDB it, or Google it.  Even at 89 minutes, it's a **** good film.  The missing elements are the prologue, one nude & two other clothed scenes with Britt Ekland, & Christopher Lee reading a poem under Willows' (Eklands') window.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this Holden!  I never would have thought of Merle Oberon for SOTM.  Not that I don't think she deserves it, she's just someone I'm very unfamiliar with, so I wouldn't have thought of her.  My only knowledge of Oberon is that she was in Wuthering Heights and that she was the first wife of Robert Wolders, Audrey Hepburn's companion during the last 15 or so years of her life.  

Mar 3

I'm excited about the Jean Harlow birthday tribute.  When I first saw Harlow, I didn't get why she was so popular.  I figured that part of her allure was that she died so young and perhaps that is part of her allure.  However, the more I see of Harlow, the more I like her.  I think the film that changed my mind about her was Red Headed Woman.  I loved her in that movie and am happy to see that it's being repeated.  Another good thing about the Jean Harlow day is that that means that there be (for the most part) a bunch of pre-codes--another era of filmmaking that I've been getting into.  

I'm probably going to record:

Red Headed Woman (just to watch it again)

Platinum Blonde

The Secret Six

Three Wise Girls

Hold Your Man

The Girl From Missouri

Mar 4

There's a John Garfield marathon on during the morning.  Merle gets the evening slots.

These Three.  I think this film might be airing this month sometime.  If I end up missing it somehow, then it's nice that it's repeating.  I've seen the remake, The Children's Hour and I've listened to the radio version with Barbara Stanwyck, Mary Astor and Errol Flynn.  I'd like to see the original version.

Mar 5

Trade Winds.  I wanted to see this film when it aired the last time, but I forgot to record it!  I've also heard the radio version of this film, as it stars Errol Flynn.

No Way Out.  I think this Richard Widmark/Linda Darnell film is airing in January, but again, if I miss recording it (because frankly my DVR is getting a little full), it's good to know it's on again.

What's weird, is in the evening on this day, it says that the SOTM is William Holden.  Perhaps that is a typographical error and perhaps The Essentials theme is William Holden.  The 5pm film is Sabrina and I could see that film being named an "essential."  I own Sabrina and Picnic, but I would record The Bridge on the River Kwai, it's a Holden film I haven't seen. 

Mar 7

Honolulu.  I've been trying to see more Eleanor Powell films and this is one of hers that I haven't seen.

Mar 8

Claire Trevor marathon in the morning.  

Crossroads.  A William Powell movie I haven't seen

Frenchman's Creek.  A Joan Fontaine movie I haven't seen.

My Cousin Rachel.  An Olivia de Havilland film I haven't seen.

Mar 9

Another Joan Crawford marathon.  I can safely say that because of all the other Crawford marathons this past year, I think I have almost the entire day already on the DVR, with the exception of Mildred Pierce and The Women, because I have the two films on DVD. 

I'm happy to see that the Disney Vault collection is extending into 2016! 

I'll probably end up recording the entire evening: two Donald Duck cartoons (The Whaler and The Sea Scouts); 20,000 Leagues Under the SeaOperation Undersea (a Walt Disney documentary about sea exploration); a cartoon Merbabies; and A Disney nature documentary, The Secrets of Life.

March 15

Lol George Brent's behind will be in full view this morning! 

Two Bette Davis films: The Rich Are Always With Us and Front Page Woman

Barbara Stanwyck: Purchase Price

Mar 29

42nd Street.  I'm not a fan of Busby Berkeley's production numbers at all.  They're just boring to me, however I can see why in the 1930s, they may have been impressive.  However, I've been wanting to see this film--the definitive backstage musical.

There are probably many more films I'd love to see, but I'll have to read more about them.  There were a ton of films I've never even heard about.  I'll also need to research Merle Oberon more and see what films I should check out.

I noticed that the motif, "Condemned" aired every Thursday evening.  There was another theme of films involving artists.  Perhaps these themes are why Oberon is appearing on Friday evenings in March.

• Like 1

speedracer5--"Frenchman's Creek (1944) is one I've been waiting to see.  Good film.  Two others:

"The Story of Temple Drake" (1933)--Based on William Faulkner's 1931 novel "Sanctuary", this stars Miriam as a rich, heedless bad girl.  This film Really helped the move for a Production Code--a must see for those into Hollywood history--also has one of Miriam Hopkins' finest performances.

Trivia--The film "These Three" (1935) was originally titled & plotted  on Broadway the same way as the 1961 "The Children's Hour"--it was heterosexualized for The Code--either way, it's about the power of lies to destroy lives.  Good films.

The musicals "The Daughter of Rosie O'Grady" (1950) & "Athena" (1954)  are of interest--former because of a Young Debbie Reynolds (She has a Voice, but her dance is still a bit off; the latter because it is a musical about health food--someone eats flowers in this one (Steve Reeves, a few years away from "Hercules" (1959) & countless sequels & ripoffs).

A fun month, looks like. :)

Premieres of Cries and Whispers and Watership Down and Death in Venice?!  Now that's a good month.  But I think somebody should check the Kurosawa tribute day, because I don't think the running times add up.

Cries and Whispers has been shown before. I remember because it was EDITED and I was really p.o'd about that (this was years ago)........

One wonders whether The Ritz will remain on the schedule.

I could swear Cries and Whispers was on the schedule once before but got pulled for a memorial tribute.

Ooh, El Greco shows up. I hope it's letterboxed; the last time it was on the Fox Movie Channel ages ago is was panned and scanned which made it trule awful. I could swear there were scenes in which both of the people talking to each other were panned-and-scanned out of the picture.

Our Mother's House is on the schedule again! Woohoo!

It has been shown before, at LEAST once, because I watched it (and it was edited).........(Cries and Whispers)

Hibi & HoldenIsHere--Full version of "The Wicker Man" runs 102 minutes.  The version on the schedule runs 89 minutes.

Edit: read TCM article on it, IMDB it, or Google it.  Even at 89 minutes, it's a **** good film.  The missing elements are the prologue, scenes with Britt Ekland, & Christopher Lee reading a poem under Willows' (Eklands') window.

What was the running time of the release print?

Hibi-- are at Least four different running times;am not sure which you want, so here are all four on IMDB:

88 minutes-1973

89 minutes--?

99 minutes--extended version--unsure of date of release.

102 minutes--1978 directors cut, made it to Magnum Films (uncertain of name) Videocassette--This is what I found in the 1990's--did not see original release in theatres.

Hibi-- are at Least four different running times;am not sure which you want, so here are all four on IMDB:

88 minutes-1973

89 minutes--?

99 minutes--extended version--unsure of date of release.

102 minutes--1978 directors cut, made it to Magnum Films (uncertain of name) Videocassette--This is what I found in the 1990's--did not see original release in theatres.

Strange. I missed it in theaters, so unsure what the release running time was. Hopefully I'll remember to watch this time around. Last time I forgot! :(

• Like 1

Strange. I missed it in theaters, so unsure what the release running time was. Hopefully I'll remember to watch this time around. Last time I forgot!

If TCM airs the release version of THE WICKER MAN  I don't see this an the airing of an edited version.

The longer versions (including the 102 minute director's cut) were probably never shown theatrically although I'm not sure about this. 

• Like 1

If TCM airs the release version of THE WICKER MAN  I don't see this an the airing of an edited version.

The longer versions (including the 102 minute director's cut) were probably never shown theatrically although I'm not sure anout this. 

It is, though. The original version ran 99 minutes.

The first cut of the movie was actually nearly 114 minutes, but it was considered - even by the director - to be too long, and to Christopher Lee's displeasure (he loved the project completely, and objected) the movie was finished for release at 99 minutes.

But the filmmakers could not get a release for it. Roger Corman expressed an interest in it and was sent a copy of the film. At his suggestion the film was cut by 12 minutes specifically so it could play the "drive-in" market and be re-classified as a b-movie to make it appropriate as an undercard feature of a double bill.

So, reluctantly, but with an eye to recouping some of the investment spent, his suggestion was followed. They knew it wasn't as good a movie, scenes were cut and moved about to the detriment of it, but they were stuck with this deal or no deal.

Years later, they decided to re-release the movie in it's correct 99 minute version - and found to their horror that none of the original 99 minute prints still existed. Or so they thought - they remembered that they'd supplied one to Roger Corman - and sure enough, he still had it. Using that, the 99 minute version was released on VHS home video. Finally, the movie as it was originally made was seen.

So, why is it back to the 87 minute version on DVD? Because the Corman copy has now been lost as well. I suspect that it's being hoarded by a private collector, but whether I'm right or not, it's gone for all commercial intents and purposes.

The film quality cannot be matched from what's available of the 12 minutes of re-introduced footage and the much more superior quality of the 87 minute version's film stock. So, that's what we get on official DVD releases now - the "short" version.

• Like 3