Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nicholas Smith has died, the last of the original cast of "Are You Being Served"

Swithin

Nicholas Smith (1934-2015), the last surviving original cast member of the Britcom series Are You Being Served, has died on December 6, 2015. Smith played Mr, Rumbold. Though best known for his work on British television, he did appear in a few movies. I saw him on stage with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

tve16155-38-23.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35023713

• Like 1

Oh dear....Are You Being Served is one of my all time British comedys.   Sad sad that the era of when you were both funny and politically incorrect and everyone still managed a good laugh without everything being considered ill advised.   Now you would have to show this along with Benny Hill and other British comedys with trigger warnings and most likely greater than an R rating.  Oh the good old days. 

1513794_10205451361576038_75520349156567

With Nicholas Smith's passing, all the original stars are gone. Frank Thornton, Wendy Richard, Trevor Bannister, Arthur Brough, Harold Bennett, and the always hilarious John Inman and Mollie Sugden

The two head maintenance men Mr Mash (Larry Martyn) and Mr Harmon (Arthur English) are also gone. Senior menswear replacements played by James Hayter, Alfie Bass, Milo Sperber, Benny Lee are gone. Mr Grace's replacement (Kenneth Waller) is gone. Canteen manageress (Doremy Vernon) is still alive as is the nurse (Vivienne Johnson). The major cleaning lady is gone (Hilda Fennemore). I imagine many of the secretaries are still with us. Chief among them Candy Davis, Penny Irving, Isabella Rye, and Nina Francis. And Mike Berry is still with us. The Ab Fab Joanna Lumley made 2 guest shots.