Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why did "Rich and Famous" air instead of "Heavenly Creatures" ???

JeanneCrain

"Rich and Famous" was on my schedule. But I agree, the schedule can be changeable and confusing. (Even more so if you're Canadian.)

But I'm not sure why you mention "Heavenly Creatures" , a film you yourself cite as a 1994 release, but then say something about "classics", as though that film is a "classic" and that's why you're disappointed it wasn't aired.

For the record, I hated "Heavenly Creatures" It's a good film, well-acted, well- directed, etc. But 

SPOILER - any movie where a teenage girl whacks her mother over the head with a rock with the goal of killing her - and succeeds ! - is too horrid for me to like. (And the poor mother didn't deserve it - she was just an ordinary mother, not abusive or nasty or anything. Just a little strict.)

• Like 3

It's hard to tell what happened with the schedule.  I notice the TCM article describing the 'Girlfriends' Spotlight movies does list Rich and Famous instead of Heavenly Creatures, so maybe RAF was supposed to air all along.  (Unless this article was changed as well and I missed it.)

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1144161|0/Girlfriends-Mondays-in-December.html

(Oops I just checked my Now Playing magazine and Heavenly Creatures is listed there in the Spotlight article.  Maybe this was another one of those last-minute rights/availability issues.)

With the recent Spotlight on Women Directors and now the Girlfriends theme, as a male I'm starting to feel neglected.

:)

• Like 1

You mean not only do the overwhelming number of people in front of and behind the camera have to be male, but if even the slightest effort is made to move toward a more equal representation, that has to be criticized, too?

Gosh I was trying to make a joke, not a criticism.  (The nature of the joke is the very facts you mention.)  Note the smiley face.

• Like 1

For the record, I hated "Heavenly Creatures" It's a good film, well-acted, well- directed, etc. But ...............(spoiler)

When a movie is made about a factual occurrence, I do think it's best to stick to what happened.

So many great movies about unpleasant crimes that are hard to watch - (looking at you 'In Cold Blood' and '10 Rillington Place').

• Like 5

JeanneCrain--This has to be a TCM rights issue--While "Rich and Famous" (1981) was playing, the tv screen (my provider's Comcast) kept telling me it was playing "Heavenly Creatures" (1994).  If it's not a rights issue, problem has to be on TCM's side--Comcast is generally very accurate about their listings (Comcast's problems are for another thread).

When a movie is made about a factual occurrence, I do think it's best to stick to what happened.

So many great movies about unpleasant crimes that are hard to watch - (looking at you 'In Cold Blood' and '10 Rillington Place').

Of course it's best to stick to what happened  (when a movie is based on an actual event.) I was going to mention that Heavenly Creatures was based on a factual occurrence, guess I should have.

db, I was not saying the arc of the movie's storyline should have gone any differently. As the trendy expression now goes, "it is what it is." And it is a cinematic telling of this event, a young girl and her friend plot and carry out the murder of her mother. I would never suggest the filmmakers change the story so it alters from "what  happened".

I was simply saying that for me, that kind of story is hard to watch. It makes me feel terrible.

This is not to say that I avoid movies that have any kind of death or murder in them. Good lord, that would severely limit the films I could watch. And in fact, there are a great many films with violence, murder, suicide, all kinds of weirdness, that I love.

But there's a certain type of movie that I find almost unbearable to see.And you've nailed it, it seems to be almost always films based on actual events. Heavenly Creatures, In Cold Blood, and 10 Rillington Place all fall into that category. Also I Want to Live.  I hadn't put it together till now that all of those films are inspired from tragic events that really happened. I'll have to give it some thought, if there are any others that I find unbearable to watch, and if so, if they too are derived from factual occurrences.

By the way, I think all of the movies mentioned here are very good. That's not my problem with them. But I just can't bear to watch them.

• Like 2

Jan you summed that up perfectly. It's exactly the way I feel about these films. I've seen the 4 you've mentioned, in fact I saw I Want To Live in a theater when it was released ( I was much too young, but I sat thru it and never forgot it). I saw Heavenly Creatures a few years back. It is a well made film, but unbearable for me to watch, same with In Cold Blood. I always skip watching them when they're shown. Very good point about films depicting horrific actual events, and I do think that's what makes these films especially uncomfortable to watch.

One film that is obviously just fiction is Valley of the Dolls. Whenever I see Sharon Tate in this film, I become so uncomfortable and it's difficult for me not to think about her tragedy.

• Like 3

Jan you summed that up perfectly. It's exactly the way I feel about these films. I've seen the 4 you've mentioned, in fact I saw I Want To Live in a theater when it was released ( I was much too young, but I sat thru it and never forgot it). I saw Heavenly Creatures a few years back. It is a well made film, but unbearable for me to watch, same with In Cold Blood. I always skip watching them when they're shown. Very good point about films depicting horrific actual events, and I do think that's what makes these films especially uncomfortable to watch.

One film that is obviously just fiction is Valley of the Dolls. Whenever I see Sharon Tate in this film, I become so uncomfortable and it's difficult for me not to think about her tragedy.

Yes, I think of that too when I see her.

It's funny, I usually have no trouble separating the art from the artist. For instance, while Frank Sinatra is reputed to have had mob connections, and also is said to have had a mean side to his personality, I just don't think of that when I'm watching a movie he's in, or listening to his music. (Check out the "Frank Sinatra" thread for more detail on this.) Just using Frank as an example, there are many more.

Yet when it comes to some other aspect of an actor having something awful happen in their real life - or as with Sharon Tate, the ending of her life - it bothers and upsets me no end.

"Rich and Famous" was on my schedule. But I agree, the schedule can be changeable and confusing. (Even more so if you're Canadian.)

But I'm not sure why you mention "Heavenly Creatures" , a film you yourself cite as a 1994 release, but then say something about "classics", as though that film is a "classic" and that's why you're disappointed it wasn't aired.

For the record, I hated "Heavenly Creatures" It's a good film, well-acted, well- directed, etc. But 

SPOILER - any movie where a teenage girl whacks her mother over the head with a rock with the goal of killing her - and succeeds ! - is too horrid for me to like. (And the poor mother didn't deserve it - she was just an ordinary mother, not abusive or nasty or anything. Just a little strict.)

The Slender Man Stabbing case of Wisconsin is another harrowing example of a friendship gone wrong. Will a movie be made about it? At least the little girl who was stabbed 19 times managed to survive.

I'd add "Compulsion" & "Badlands"

unsettling, of course, but I find the films fascinating for the WHY much more than the HOW

But that's just me :)

I recently re-watched 'The Magdalene Sisters' (2002).

Brutal, brutal truth. Infuriating - and to someone who spent 8 years in Catholic school from 1956-64, entirely authentic.

There was no other place on Earth where Catholic authority had as much demonic control over the populace as in Ireland.

There's no way you can watch 'The Magdalene Sisters' without becoming upset.

I recently re-watched 'The Magdalene Sisters' (2002).

Brutal, brutal truth. Infuriating - and to someone who spent 8 years in Catholic school from 1956-64, entirely authentic.

There was no other place on Earth where Catholic authority had as much demonic control over the populace as in Ireland.

There's no way you can watch 'The Magdalene Sisters' without becoming upset.

thanks for the mention, blue

will have to try & catch it :)

although "....Magdalene Asylums, (also known as 'Magdalene Laundries'), homes for women who were labeled as "fallen" by their families or society. The homes were maintained by individual religious orders in the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland."

-sounds more like a reform type 'school'

thanks for the mention, blue

will have to try & catch it :)

If you get the DVD, be sure to watch the extra feature from BBC4 called 'Sex in a Cold Climate' which features testimony and visuals of actual girls who were kept imprisoned in these convents/workshops. Heartbreaking.