6:00pm Back To The Future

8:00pm Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Saturday, Feb. 25th

8:00pm Awakenings

10:15pm Sleepless In Seattle

12:00am The Birdcage

2:15am Tootsie

Enjoy!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make note of a few of the films, especially "Awakenings" with outstanding performances from Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams., and "The Birdcage" with a hilarious performance from Nathan Lane.

Of course I'll also indulge in the more than 300 other films from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s that TCM has to offer.

Movie Heaven, indeed!

I have great memories of seeing 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' at the movie theater when I was a kid. It holds especially high regard in our family because that was the last movie my whole family went to see together before hitting some hard times. It will be great to see it again, UNCUT, COMMERCIAL FREE and in the LETTERBOX format.

So remember, just because you don't like a lineup of movies, doesn't mean that someone else won't. One man's "trash" is another man's treasure and besides you can always watch a dvd or VHS tape if you don't like what TCM is showing. That's what I do.

Thanks though, for singlehandedly focusing attention on two nights of TCM's lineup that some people may have missed out on!

If you mean "trash" like The African Queen, Hot Millions, Cactus Flower, The Heiress, The Third Man, Father Goose, Operation Petticoat, Mannequin, Dodsworth, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Angels With Dirty Faces, Sayonara, Ball of Fire and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, then I AM in Hog Heaven. Those were the movies I watched, re-watched and/or recorded since February 1st.

Or are some of those too modern and trashy for you too? Because let me tell you, that Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy movie in 1967--that was the epitome of trash.*

*Sarcasm, of course.

If you can't enjoy "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" for the lark that it is, I honestly feel sorry for you. (So much more watchable a second or third time than Forrest Gump.)

The hoops Zemekis had to jump through to get the rights to include all the characters he wanted in the Toon Town sequences makes the achievement almost herculean.

I suppose some of you roll your eyes seeing Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry Mouse too.

As for "Tootsie", when I realized it is really a screwball comedy in the tradition of all the classics, my appreciation grew. (Otherwise, I tend to look down on 'drag'' comedies.) Dustin Hoffman's scene in Sidney Pollack's office trying to explain why he needs to get out of the soap would make Katharine Hepburn's Susan Vance proud. ("Dorothy's a lesbian?")

Kyle in Hollywood

No disrespect, but I don't see how the films you mention constitute "Movie Heaven". And I have seen them all. Moreover, they are on TCM's sister stations TNT and TBS all the time.

"Movie Heaven" for me is being able to watch Robert Altman's "Nashville" or Murnau's "Sunrise". Bothof which are on TCM this month.

I guess you've been in hog heaven lately watching the trash that TCM decided we need to see. >>

Sweetbaby,

All Iloveperth said was that she was looking forward to Roger Rabbit because it held a special memory related to her family. You attacked her on that choice and then became angry because it did not fit your defiinition of a TCM classic.

Feburary is TCM Salutes the Oscars and Roger Rabbit fits that definition. On a broader scale , to attack someone because a film in the schedule holds a deep memory or is important because of something outside your definitition of classic is just plain rude.

Classic Films have different meanings for different people. What is classic to you, what is classic to me may vary. Many people define classic by the moments they share with family or a loved one.

It may not be your watching pleasure but give the poster credit for appreciating that the film was an homage to an era that has passed into history.

You people are really starting to boil my blood. I never attacked anyone. When Iloveperth stated one man's trash is another man's treasure, he/she asked for it. I don't care how much a cartoon means to someone, they can watch it all day long for all I care, it just doesn't belong on TCM. I can't believe so many of you posters are in love with the drek TCM is showing this month. You would think a theme like the Oscars would result in nothing but great classic movies, but instead we get the likes of what Constarkel listed at the beginning of this post.

sweetbabykmd, you're wasting your time. I have given up on this topic, and deleted my last post, leading some to believe (enjoying a self-satisfied smirk whilst doing so) erroneously that TCM had deleted my words.

The high and mighty here don't get it, don't want to get it, and never will get it.

I recently read about an interview Tom Snyder had with Johnny Rotten over 30 years ago, a particulary difficult interview, and at one point said to him: "It's nice to know that everyone else is out of step except for you", or words to that effect.

So, leave them all to their Anime Alley crap, their new and improved TCM, their possible future commercials, their possible future segmented and more expensive TCM, and partake instead in all the other great threads here with those who do get it, like Fred and Tom.

For the record, Johnny Rotten didn't get it all those decades ago, either.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

* When Iloveperth stated one man's trash is another man's treasure, he/she asked for it.*

How did I ask for it? (And to clear up any confusion, I am a *woman*--to which I find your choice of words especially appalling) And furthermore, who died and left you boss of TCM, judging what belongs and what doesn't? I stated in the "The End is Near" thread that I don't like Jeanette McDonald movies because I can't stand her voice. I am not going to start sixty million threads stating, "TCM sucks because they chose her as SoTM". I am going to watch other programming, a dvd/VHS or even not be so narrow minded and give some of her movies a chance.

It is OSCAR month to which they show OSCAR nominated/winning movies, no matter what era they come from. End of story. If you don't like it, go watch some other channel or watch a dvd/VHS tape. Honestly, I'm done talking to you. The anonymity of the internet allows people such as yourself to indulge in rudeness, which I find disgusting.

lzcutter and hlywdkjk, thank you for your calm, rational posts on the subject. It's quite welcoming in such a sea of negativity, especially when I was just trying to explain why I enjoy a movie that so many see as evil.

stoneyburke, I don't see myself as "high and mighty". However, I am a person who welcomes positive change. I found that if I stay set in my ways, no matter what the interest, I'm a poorer person for it. I don't see that as being "high and mighty" just normal.

I'm sorry that you find it appalling that I didn't know whether you are male or female. I don't understand why it is ok for you to not like Jeanette MacDonald and say so and not for me to say that I don't like the modern movies. I have never said TCM sucks so don't state that I did.

Re: I refer to the 80's and 90's movies they have been showing as trash.

sweetbabykmd -

I was wondering if you would like to explain why, exactly, the movies listed in the first post of this thread deserve to be labeled specifically "trash"? I mean, it is such a loaded term for a person to use.

"Trash" infers something of no use or value to anyone. Or is something of such a vulgar or profane nature that it has the potential to be harnful and offensive to an unsuspecting viewer.

Is this what you really meant? I'd like to know why you think the films mentioned earlier are deserving of such a label.

And I am sincere in my earnestness about this.

Kyle in Hollywood

Those movies are of no use and no value to me. They do not belong on TCM, I don't care if it's Oscar month, there are thousands of deserving movies that should have been shown in their places. This is my opinion and I am entitled to state it. Like I said earlier, if some of you are offended please go start a "we love everything TCM shows" thread.

Hardly, though Rocky (1976) & Tootsie (1982) are indisputably classics and a couple of the others were unique (BTTF & WFRR), and certainly worthy of the Oscars that they received.

Personally, I could do without Madonna (& Meg Ryan makes me gag) and I won't be watching the three Robin Williams flicks either. FWIW, The Birdcage, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Awakenings, & Hook are all TCM premieres.

To be fair, there are many duds in the old black and white films including pre-codes, as there are in the 'newer' films.

I notice that some of them creak, while some are boring. In fact many of them only got no more than a 2 ** star rating. And silent films are not my cup of tea.

However I wouldn't call them trash.

sweetbabykmd

re: Those movies are of no use and no value to me.

OK. But by using "trash" you are declaring that no one should find any value in these films. That's a big difference from "no value to me". And you seem to want to apply that label based not on the content of the films but simply because the films are recent productions as if there is some sort of reverse expiration date on the films. ("Throw away if made after Jan 1, 1960")

I could come up with some descriptions of the films listed earlier - like insipid, maudlin, uninspired, trite, ambitious failure or even insulting - that are critical of the content and, if asked, be willing to back up those judgements. But I won't judge a film negatively based on the year of release. That's an irrational prejudice.

Whether such recent films "belong' on TCM is a debatable subject (and I know it has been. I haven't kept tabs on all of the threads touching on it.) But not everything that is debatable is worthy of debate or so it seems to you. When one declares "They do not belong on TCM." with the same certainty of saying "The sky is blue." you aren't expressing an opinion. You state it as a fact ("Case Closed") and with such a sense of righteousness that it immediately puts others on the defensive.

I have never considered TCM - or any television channel - as my own personal property with an obligation to please me and only me. Why set myself up to be disappointed, angered or insulted because that is what would happen if I did hold such expectations. What a waste of energy and emotion on somethig so trivial and out of my control. But the inclusion of a handful of contemporary films this month cetainly seems to have offended you and your sensiblities. Or should I say sensitivities.

I am reminded of Mrs. Shin, the mayor's wife in "The Music Man" who doesn't want her daughter to be exposed to "The Rubiyat of Omar Khayam" because she can't see it as beautiful Persian poetry - it's just a "smutty book". Sigh.

What's that qoute about strength to change things, serenity to accept things I can't and the wisdom to know the difference? (And, no, I am not in recovery.) I doubt if I will change anything you wish to believe but I doubt that you believe anything good can from change. I do.

Kyle in Hollywood