Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's Movie Heaven!

Agreed, and I've said as much in at least 2 other threads. There are at least eight lesser quality (2 star or below) "classics" (by virtue of being old) on TCM's 31 Days of Oscar schedule ... though I wouldn't call them trash either. Plus, I need to amend my earlier post because it looks like I'm going to give Awakenings (1990) a chance after all (since Robert De Niro's in it;-)

Message was edited by:

path40a

Some of the 'newer' movies that in my opinion are duds (not trash) are:

"Turner and Hooch" (1989)

"Trog" (1970)

"Bunny Lake Is Missing" (1965)

"The Fortune" (1971)

"Howard the Duck" (1986)

"Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood" (1976)

"Where Love Has Gone" (1964)

"Johnny B. Good" (1988)

"Bunny O' Hare" (1971)

"Ishtar" (1987)

Of course there are plenty more as is with the old black and white films.

Oh dear. First of all the word trash came from the statement "one man's trash is another man's treasure". I would not normally use that word to describe those movies which I find undeserving of TCM, and I DID NOT decide this based upon how new those movies are. I do enjoy some modern movies, but I would never want to have TCM show them because they do not belong here, as TCM was originally a station that showed only classic older movies that one would not find all over the other channels. I know, the next person is going to tell me to change the channel - well guess what - I have to do that way too frequently nowdays, and that is what my beef is.

path40a, Awakenings is a really wonderfully, touching film. If you do give it a chance, I think you'll really enjoy it. Even Robin Williams (who I happen to find failry annoying) is great in it. And De Niro is fantastic, so you'll probably enjoy his performance here. Good stuff.

hlywdkjk, it's always nice to see long, thoughtful posts around here. You give a good persepective on why so many people get put on the defensive. Expressing opinions is one thing--everyone has their right to do that--but just dismissing things with a flick of a wrist and using derogatory words--that's always going to angry up the blood.

constarkel, I'm not sure about mongo and path40a, but through my digital cable's television guide, it usually gives you a 1-4 star rating for each movie and the description, no matter how old they are. I noticed that they used to go by Maltin's guide rating, but now they've changed for certain movies. Or you can go to the Yahoo tv listing, type in your zip code and look through your local listings and you'll see the star ratings with each movie.

I get my star movie ratings from an old book I have. Its a compilation of various movie ratings from most of the New York newspaper critics at the time the movies were released.

For instance they gave the wonderful film classic "Gunga Din" a four **** star rating. And it was just presented on movie heaven.

constarkel, as has been answered, you can get movie star ratings from various sources, and I usually do, but my "bible" is Leonard Maltin's guide. Though I will disagree with "his" ratings from time to time, over the years I have found his guide to be the most useful in helping me to decide which films to watch (e.g. his 3.5 to 4 star films are almost always essentials). Other sources I use (if I haven't seen the film myself;-) include: my city's local rag which comes with the Sunday paper, my TIVO's guide (neither of these have a clue wrt silent films, LOL!), and even imdb.com (as flawed as it is), which uses a 10 point system. Of course, these are all opinion derived and some persons use a 4 star maximum (like Maltin) while others use 5 stars to indicate the very best films.

sweetbaby, perhaps Tootsie (1982) isn't old enough to be considered a classic in your book; it's borderline age-wise in mine (my artificial barrier is sometime in the 1970's, typically). I don't generally like the "man dressing up as a woman" films, and can't understand why AFI voters thought Some Like It Hot (1959) was the funniest movie of all time, but there's no question that it's a classic (and an essential). If you're thinking Tootsie (1982) has not also received wide acclaim, then I suggest you do some research;-) For my money, Tootsie (1982) is very entertaining & funny, with some terrific, touching performances from its wonderful cast.

sweetbabykmd

You're right. You didn't use the term 'trash' first. I sincerely apologise for attributing it to you as your original thought. And if I was responsible for making you "blood boil", that goes twice.

I am somewhat sypathetic to your fears and feelings about programming on TCM. I signed up for cable looooooong ago with the desire to have Bravo in my home. Needless to say, the excellent arts programming it offered and for which it was awarded a Cable Ace award is looooong gone. Thankfully, I have a library in town brimming with those kinds of videos & DVDs to check out for free.

Last month I had no interest in the Thursday night anime. I looked at the night as a opportunity to fill with something I wanted to watch and not having to worry what I may miss on TCM. (One of those "one door closes and another one opens" kind of opportunities.) Having no choice to consider on Thursdays in January was a welcome respite for me. But maybe I am funny that way.

Regards,

Kyle in Hollywood

Thanks Kyle. You were not responsible for the boiling blood. I know exactly what you mean about the Bravo channel. My fiance actually lobbied his cable company to provide the Bravo channel years ago, and now it is NEVER watched. As for the Thursday night anime, my daughters (one of which loves anime) only looked at it for a couple of minutes, and that was it, channel was changed back to Disney Channel.

You have Bravo? I have been trying to get Bravo for years - just to watch the James Lipton and Actor Studio interviews. Do you have any idea if they are available anywhere - such as DVD or tape or anything? Where could I read a transcript? I've tried Bravo.com and they don't have any suggestions except "ask your cable company to get Bravo for you." Sure!

Lost interest in "Inside The Actor's Studio" when the likes of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Stiller show up. Neither of which have a film history that one would be overwhelmed by. I heard that when given the chance to interview Peter O'Toole he declined.

Given that the Mike Myers and Robin Williams "interviews" were hilarious they hardly seemed instructive.

Other than that they can have "Bravo". It won't be part of my a la carte lineup.

Can't help ya Ralph about tracking down "Inside The Actor's Studio" materials. As others have said, the program has really focused on movie stars rather than legitimate actors ever since the cable channel was bought by the media conglomerate that owns NBC. (I couldn't take the program seriously after it spent two hours interviewing Elton John. Huh?)

Regards,

Kyle in Hollywood

The Bravo Channel along with the Sci-Fi Channel changed at the same time when NBC Universal took them over and now are not worth watching. Also The Romance Channel became WE and now is gone without fanfare. MoviePlex was a commercial free basic cable channel of the 80's and early 90's that is also gone. A&E use to produce British dramas in partnership with Granada and Channel 4 that equaled PBS, now it's Reality TV, while The Biography Channel only has repeats of what A&E did in the 90's. Cable was better when there was only 30 channels and the monthly bill was only $12.00 a month.

allieharding,

I have the idea that Bravo and AMC were owned by the same company and sold at the same time--do you know if this is correct? If so, AMC was sold to a subsidiary of Cablevision(?) and Bravo to NBC/Universal and...both ended in the toilet.

Oh...your comment about lesser is better--absolutely true. I think that every time I flip through our remaining 8 channels (whittled down from 52 channels).

Rusty