Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nitefilmfan

"B" Film Stars

Anyone have favorite stars of the "B" film era? Here's a few of mine.

Steve Brodie

William Tallman

Douglas Fowley

Jean Willes

Audrey Long

Margurite Chapman

Robert Shayne

To name a few.

The following appeared in A movies as well, but there's something about the Bs that they did that's memorable...

GOOD GUYS?(who could always be a little compromised):

Robert Ryan

Charles McGraw

Kenneth Tobey

Edmond O'Brien

BAD GUYS?(who usually had their reasons):

Robert Ryan (he fits both categories!)

Steve Cochran

Neville Brand

Howard Duff (superficially, he was often a good guy, but he was more convincing as a sneaky meanie)

Robert Ryan never disappoints. I'm partial to those B-grade noir girls like Gloria Graham and Jane Greer. Liz Scott has a strange attraction as well.

My favorite "B" girls are:

Beverly Michaels

Marie Windsor

Adele Jergens

Mary Beth Hughes

Marion Martin

Iris Adrian

Maria Montez

> Anyone have favorite stars of the "B" film era?

> Here's a few of mine.

> Steve Brodie

> William Tallman

> Douglas Fowley

> Jean Willes

> Audrey Long

> Margurite Chapman

> Robert Shayne

> To name a few.

About 1970, in a letter to " Films in Review ", I wrote that I liked Jean Willes ( " No Time for Sergeants ", " The Invasion of the Body Snatchers " ) a month or two later some readers replied. You would have thought I saying such a thing that I had committed a Mortal Sin

.I like Marie Windsor too.

Kevin McCarthy in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". He played in a few Twilight Zone shows too.

" The Invasion of the Body Snatchers " has to be a classic, it has the great Whit Bissell in it/ He was also in Raw Deal, Brute Force, The Magnificent &, The Manchurian Candidate ( original ), Seven Days in May, and on and on !

The Magnificent 7 had Whit Bissell as the undertaker, not The Magnificent &---bad boy again !!!

> I remember Kevin McCarthy,he was in a lot of shows

> and miniseries in the 70's.He was a good actor.

Kevin McCarthy, brother of the late novelist Mary McCarthy, ( " The Group ') is still alive. He was born in 1914. In one " Twilight Zone " he played a collage Professor who could live forever.A film that he was in " Mirage ", starring Gregory Peck is an excellent noir that TCM should show.

Gee, I liked Kevin McCarthy. Does anyone remember a TV series or movie called Tycoon. He was in that with Lana Turner. I remember it was really great, but that was YEARS ago. It might have been terrible.

McCarthy was a very strange looking man but had his distinctive character and voice.

Didn't he wear a bow-tie a lot or at least in one of his appearances?

> McCarthy was a very strange looking man but had his

> distinctive character and voice.

>

> Didn't he wear a bow-tie a lot or at least in one of

> his appearances?

I think that he did, he might have even worn one in the "Hitckockian " Mirage.It needs a DVD with audio commentary.

> You really are into that audio commentary,aren't you

> Ken?

I'm into audio commentaries and other things.

> Oh my God!!!

>

> Don't even get Ken started,you know that to him

> EVERYONE in HOLLYWOOD is IRISH!! Ha!

>

> Right Ken?

Only the handsomest men ( Power, Flynn), the most beautiful woman ( O' Hara, Garson ), the greatest directors ( Ford, Huston, Walsh ),screenwriters ( Nichols )------ Only the Best in Hollywood are Irish

Right now, I'm really enjoying "The Strange Door" a horror "B" from Universal with Richard Staley and Sally Forrest. Their chemistry is good.I also love John Agar, Leo G. Carroll, Dorothy Provine, and Deborah Walley. Cheers for the B's.! Seriously, I love B movies so much, I hate the Oscar salute month every spring.

I love B stars. A real treat when TCM shows a movie with them in it. My faves are john gavin, guy madison, richard egan, rory calhoun, farley granger, george nader, cornel wilde, yvonne decarlo, dolores moran, faith domergue, vera ralston, diana dors, adele jergens, maria montez, patricia medina, patricia morison, elaine stewart, ella raines, hillary brooke, mamie van doren, ann sothern, marie windsor, ruth roman, virginia mayo, rhonda fleming, arlene dahl, jayne meadows, moira lister, mari blanchard, ellen drew, corinne calvet, lizabeth scott, and belita.