Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia -- Week of February 6, 2006

Greetings, everybody! I had a wonderful time in Fort Myers, Florida last week. I visited two wildlife refuges, made my yearly pilgrimage to Thomas Edison's winter home (since my childhood, he's been one of my heroes), and most importantly, helped my mom celebrate her 71st birthday. It was a real treat for both of us, and a great way to beat the winter blues.

And thanks also to Mongo for taking over the Trivia thread last week. As many of you know by now, Mongo is stepping down from weekly trivia duties, but will be continuing his Happy Birthday and Ask Mongo threads elsewhere on the site. I'll miss him here -- we've had fun e-mailing each other back and forth on trivial and other matters -- but it's good to know he'll still be around.

Now, on to this week's movie trivia . . .

William Tracy (I'm not even sure I know who this guy is, but I know Hitchcock;-)

Oops, my mistake, Tracy was in Hitchcock's only (overt) comedy, bad as it was. vallo's right, as usual;-)

... and welcome back, coffeedan!

BTW, vallo, Barry Fitzgerald is in Hitch's Juno and the Paycock (1930).

Message was edited by:

path40a

Boy, we're really having fun with this one! But vallo was the first one in with the correct answer. Although Tom Ewell appeared in an episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" in 1955, he was never in a film directed by the Master of Suspense.

For the record, Barry Fitzgerald was in JUNO AND THE PAYCOCK (1930), Robert Benchley in FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT (1940), William Tracy in MR. AND MRS. SMITH (1941), and Sean Connery in MARNIE (1964).

And thanks for the "welcome back," vallo and path. Vacations to tropical climes are great, but it's even better to come home again.

Good guess, Ken! You are correct!

Laemmle originally offered Karloff the title role in THE INVISIBLE MAN, but only if he took a cut in pay. Naturally, Karloff turned it down, and it marked the film debut of Claude Rains.

Okay, I'll give to you both!

Volney was the lion who opened each film from the Samuel Goldwyn studio, carrying over the job when that studio merged with Metro Coporation and Louis B. Mayer Productions to become MGM in 1924, making him their first "Leo the Lion."

Welllllll . . . you're half-right, scarlett.

Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. spoke those words in the sound prologue to THE IRON MASK (1929), his last silent film which concluded the story of the Three Musketeers -- and Fairbanks's own silent film career.