Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulda had sequels...?

Sepiatone

There've been a ton of movie sequels over the years.  And sadly, too many for movies that really didn't deserve them.

Like, did we really need a PORKY'S 2?

Ot 40 or so FRIDAY THE 13th sequels?  Or HALLOWEEN?

How about sequels for some movies that might have tied up what some peple may have thought were loose ends?  For example:

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND:

So, what happened to Roy Neary after going off on the big spaceship?  Did he ever come back?  And surely, HE wouldn't have aged, but if the sequel took place THESE days, HE'D still be about 30, and his KIDS would possibly be GRANDPARENTS now!  And whatever became of little BARRY?  Did HIS abduction give him lifelong psychological problems?  WHAT!?!

THE GRADUATE:

The ending of this movie has been discussed here before.  But what happened really to the hapless couple?  DID they get married?  And are they STILL married?  Now MOST girls who get married usually worry if they're gonna be able to COOK as good as mom.  What issues did ELAINE have?  And, we all know Benjamin GRADUATED from college.  But, I don't recall any mention of any DEGREE.  WHAT did he study in college that'd help him get by in life AFTER college?  So, HOW did Ben support him and Elaine?

THE WILD ONE:

We know Johnny goes back to the diner and gives Kathie his stolen trophy.  But did something start?  Did he stay on, get a dishwashing job at the diner and eventually marry Kathie and take over the business?  did they have kids, and did they ever ask, "How come Pop don't ride motorcycles no more"?

ON THE WATERFRONT

What happens to Terry and Edie?  Did THEY get together and finally tie the knot?  Did Father Barry do the ceremony?  So we know JOHNNY FRIENDLY was headed for the calaboose, but for how long?  And did the dockworkers take over the union and start to run it on "the up and up"?  And what became of Friendly's goons?  Did they go "up the river" too?

There HAS to be others that also begged for sequels!

Sepiatone

Hmmmmmm...so how about..."Dr. Strangelove 2 or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Living in a Mine Shaft" ???

(...although being a bit squeamish, I think they could probably leave out that whole animals being bred and 'SCHLAUGHTERED' scene if ya ask me...but I KNOW that whole 10 women to every man thing sure sounds rather intriguing, wouldn't ya say mein Fuhre..err..I mean Sepia?!!!) ;)

LOL

• Like 2

Hmmmm...so then again, how about..."South by Southwest", and the further adventures of newly married couple Roger and Eve Thornhill as they, for oldtime sake, hang around Arizona's Grand Canyon while on their honeymoon...and I DO mean LITERALLY "hang around".

(...and hey, who knows...maybe in the future THIS sequel might become as much a staple on TCM as the original which inspired it?!)

• Like 3

Thought of this yesterday when watching THE CLOCK....

DID Joe return from the war?

Were he and Alice married for long after that?

By now, both characters could be assumed to be long dead, or VERY old( likely in their 90's).

But, a sequel a few years later with Joe returning home, and a bit of the story taken up with their adjustment to one another, and/or children being born (another early role for Liza!) might have been a nice follow-up.  After all....

The movie ended with them both feeling uncertainty about their future.  And leaving US feeling that way too.

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

"Them!" (1954) needs one...."Those!" :P

Say, not a bad idea, ham!

However, what say THIS time instead of the giant ants invading The City of Angels, it'd be The Big Apple?!

Aaah, but then the title would have to be changed from "Those!" to "Does!", huh.

(...that would be "Does", as in "dem 'n does", of course...especially if the giant ants invaded the borough of Brooklyn) ;)

Say, not a bad idea, ham!

However, what say THIS time instead of the giant ants invading The City of Angels, it'd be The Big Apple?!

Aaah, but then the title would have to be changed from "Those!" to "Does!", huh.

(...that would be "Does", as in "dem 'n does", of course...especially if the giant ants invaded the borough of Brooklyn)

How about "These"?

This time it could be giant scabies - which for them would be scabies big as ladybugs - and people would be declaring "these scabies are driving me crazy" (which is pretty much what they always say).

• Like 2

I'm gonna redirect this a bit, and hope for member "follow through"...

I used to muse at the possibility of "humorous programming" like in one of my earlier ideas----

Schedule, in order;

The Dating Game---

The Newlywed Game---

Divorce Court

On TV.

So, for TCM I'd suggest, scheduling THEM just before PICNIC

You know, crap like that.  Passes the time anyway,

Sepiatone