Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Streetcar Named Desire or On The Waterfront

I'm not much of a Brando fan. But I would choose "On the Waterfront" The acting is the strong point. Brando give a powerful performance and Lee J.Cobb is amazing as Johnny Friendly.The better of the two films IMO.

vallo

In Streetcar Named Desire Marlon Brando became that blue collar, white trash, neo-southerner, Stanley Kowalski . He made the character real. Maybe it's because I've known more blue collar, white trash southerners than mob gangsters, but to me he appeared to portray the character's every nuance. I don't think he did that in any of his other roles as well.

I can?t help thinking of ?Streetcar? as a sad sequel to ?Gone With the Wind?. Rhett is dead. Scarlett loses her plantation and winds up in New Orleans, now crazy, living with her poor sister and with some crude beer-drinking dock worker chasing her while she is trying to hold on to the last vestiges of her sanity.

A Streetcar Named Desire because I love Vivian Leigh and I can identify with her " I have always depended upom the kindness of strangers" attitude and her emotional frailty. How crude, boorish people can ruin the more vulnerable and susceptible, delicate people . I geuss I just identify more with those characters. How Vivian was able to be so proper and prude yet had such an " unladylike" past. That's why I prefer that movie. Has nothing to do with Marlon Brando sorry to say ( although he is such a **** in the movie!! ).

I'm definitely not a Brando fan and the only movie I ever liked him in was The Godfather. But, to answer the question as written, as much as I adore Vivien Leigh, I can't stand Tennessee Williams or anything he's ever done.......and On The Waterfront was a great movie, so my vote is absolutely On The Waterfront.

On the Waterfront (1954), though both feature excellent casts (Brando & Malden in both) and performances, I can identify with its story and truths more easily than A Streetcar Named Desire (1951). Plus, I find Cobb's & Steiger's performances more compelling than Leigh's & Hunter's (despite their Oscars) on balance. Brando is great in both. I even prefer Boris Kaufman's B&W Cinematography in the former to Stradling Sr.'s in the latter.

• 3 months later...

A Streetcar Named Desire was a good movie. I love the way Marlon Brando looks in this film. He's gorgeous and did a great job playing Stanley Kowalski.No one could've done it better. Although, I read somewhere on the internet that John Garfield was going to play Stanley but, refused the part.

Stanley Kowalski: I never met a dame yet that didn't know if she was good-looking or not without being told, and there's some of them that give themselves credit for more than they've got