Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film You Tried to Watch but Couldn't Get Into It?

I wasn't a fan of SHANE or THE SEARCHERS. Everyone looked too comfortable. For being 19th century western America, everyone looked like they showered every day and had good dentistry. The same with STAGECOACH.

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER...meh

THE THIRD MAN...another

9 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

I wasn't a fan of SHANE or THE SEARCHERS. Everyone looked too comfortable. For being 19th century western America, everyone looked like they showered every day and had good dentistry. The same with STAGECOACH.

But you can't see stink. 

• Like 1

This one's easy for me:

EASY RIDER (1969).

Three times I've tried to watch it and I find nothing interesting about it.  Amoral drug addicts roaming the countryside with their 'cycles.  Yawn. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

But you can't see stink. 

Watch FIRST COW (2019) if there's a more grubby looking way to look on screen, please share. I had a problem with COLD MOUNTAIN (2003). Renee and Nicole had exquisite teeth for living in the rural South in the middle of the Civil War. I also can't believe it's been 18 years since that movie came out. It's not enough to just have dirty fingernails and uncut, scruffy hair. 

Arrowsmith (1931). I'm almost bewildered that John Ford and Ronald Colman produced such a snoozer.

I walked out of The Tree of Life (2011). The dinosaur sequence was actually good. But scene after scene after scene demonstrating that Brad Pitt's character is 1) an exceptionally stern version of a 1950s father, and 2) disappointed with his life....The reports of a 5-hour director's cut strikes me as a crime against humanity.

5 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Watch FIRST COW (2019) if there's a more grubby looking way to look on screen, please share. I had a problem with COLD MOUNTAIN (2003). Renee and Nicole had exquisite teeth for living in the rural South in the middle of the Civil War. I also can't believe it's been 18 years since that movie came out. It's not enough to just have dirty fingernails and uncut, scruffy hair. 

The white folks had means of hygiene that we no longer use. Like de-oiling their hair with cornmeal. They had soap and water even if it was in buckets. But really, how much realism do you want? Do you want to see a toothless Nicole? 

19 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

The white folks had means of hygiene that we no longer use. Like de-oiling their hair with cornmeal. They had soap and water even if it was in buckets. But really, how much realism do you want? Do you want to see a toothless Nicole? 

Nicole Kidman is gorgeous and nice to look at...and can act. However, if I'm watching a Civil War drama I don't think it's too much to have the piece look like it was really like the Civil War. As far as Cold Mountain was concerned, the opening sequence where the fort is infiltrated by tunneling and planting explosives was extremely well done. The family that was hiding their sons from the Confederate "truant" officers was also depicted pretty realistically. But then Nicole and Renee are shown all fresh and pretty; just some hairs out of place.  I guess I know why, but it distracted from the "artistry" of the film. Just me.

Days of Heaven (1978). On paper, it sounds like my kind of movie. But I couldn't get into it. I do, however, love Malick's The New World (2005).

"Birds and passion still soar in the latest version of "The New World," Terrence Malick's rapturously beautiful telling of the founding of Jamestown and the Indian princess called Pocahontas." -- Manohla Dargis, The New York Times

• 4 weeks later...

Westerns as a whole I can't get into.  When a horse opera comes up on TCM, my hand usually goes for the remote with a speed that would put Wyatt Earp to shame.   Even so, there are a few I enjoy.

• Haha 1
On 10/2/2021 at 5:23 PM, rjbartrop said:

Westerns as a whole I can't get into.  When a horse opera comes up on TCM, my hand usually goes for the remote with a speed that would put Wyatt Earp to shame.   Even so, there are a few I enjoy.

Like which ones?

I'm not a huge westerns fan either, but never fail to watch ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST every time it's on. Most Clint Eastwood westerns are good too. I like the flawed hero character performances that Eastwood gave. I'm not a John Wayne fan. I love Jimmy Stewart but not in westerns. I will watch westerns with Jack Palance and Richard Boone. Character actors in westerns like Strother Martin, Jack Elam, Bruce Dern, Dub Taylor...I'll watch.

Sergio Leone's stuff is great, but the ones I do like tend to be western comedies.  Paleface, Support Your Local Sheriff, Blazing Saddles and My Name is Nobody spring to mind.

As an aside, my favourite Sergio Leone film would have to be Once Upon a Time in America.

On 12/19/2015 at 9:58 AM, GordonCole said:

War and Peace. Also had trouble with the book. Both are great I'm sure but just not my cup of tea.

The 1956?

I like it, great job. I like the way they went through all the trouble. Audrey at the Ball is worth the price of admission.

I am not nuts about war films, but this was pretty good on several fronts. :lol: