Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dana Andrews for SOTM

DownGoesFrazier

+1.

it would be especially nice if they could get DAISY KENYON (1947)- I don't think I had any clue how good an actor Andrews was until I saw it.

If you take the films in which he starred, and throw in the ones in which he had a supporting role, you've got quite an array of films that many would want to see.

he's got a LOAD of credits, many of which I have not seen. This is just a partial filmography up until 1958:

Enchanted Island
Abner 'Ab' Bedford

1958 The Fearmakers
Alan Eaton
 1957 Spring Reunion
Fred Davis
 1956 Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
Tom Garrett
 1956 Comanche
Jim Read
 1956 Screen Snapshots: Hollywood Goes a Fishin' (Short)
Dana Andrews
 1955 Strange Lady in Town
Dr. Rourke O'Brien
 1955 Smoke Signal
Brett Halliday
 1954 Three Hours to Kill
Jim Guthrie
 1954 Duel in the Jungle
Scott Walters
 1954 Elephant Walk
Dick Carver
 1952 Assignment: Paris
Jimmy Race
 1951 I Want You
Martin Greer
 1951 The Frogmen
Jake Flannigan
 1951 Sealed Cargo
Pat Bannon
 1949 The Forbidden Street
Henry Lambert / Gilbert Lauderdale
 1948 No Minor Vices
Perry Ashwell
 1947 Night Song
Dan
 1944 Wing and a Prayer
Lt. Cmdr. Edward Moulton
 1944 Up in Arms
Joe
 1943 The North Star
Kolya Simonov
 1943 Crash Dive
Lt. Cmdr. Dewey Connors
 1941 Ball of Fire
Joe Lilac
 1941 Swamp Water
Ben
 1941 Belle Starr
Maj. Thomas Crail
 1941 Tobacco Road
Captain Tim
 1940 The Westerner
Hod Johnson
 1940 Kit Carson
Captain John C. Fremont
 1940 Sailor's Lady
Scrappy Wilson

note- in red are the titles I am either ESPECIALLY intrigued by or would love to see on TCM.

LornaHansonForbes--"State Fair" (1945) is simplistic in plot, but a musical delight, in spite of Jeanne Crain & Dana Andrews being dubbed.  Whole score is good to excellent, & "It Might As Well Be Spring" won Best Song Oscar, deservedly, IMHO.

"Beyond a Reasonable Doubt" (1956) is a pretty good noir.

"Zero Hour!" (1957) Set the formula for the Airport sequels--I guess it was good in 1957, is cliched now, IMHO.

Can't help with your other highlighted titles--haven't seen them.

Was just reading TCM's article on "State Fair" (1945)--they dubbed Andrews in spite" of him being a trained opera singer"*.  I'd love to hear any recordings Andrews made--I think SF is the only film musical he ever appeared in.  Pity.

*--From TCMs' article on "State Fair" (1945).

the 1945 version of STATE FAIR has been requested and mentioned glowingly numerous times over the years by various posters- it's a Fox film and there may even be deeper issues with the copyright or soundtrack. so I wouldn't count seeing it on TCM any time soon. it and MARGIE have been cited as two films of Jeanne Crain's wherein she is supposedly very good...so i'd be interested to see them because, while I understand she has her fans, Jeanne Crain has not impressed me at all in the few films of hers that I have seen- PINKY, PEOPLE WILL TALK, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and A LETTER TO THREE WIVES.

• Like 1

LornaHansonForbes--Jeanne Crains' role in "State Fair" didn't require a lot of acting on her part:  it can be argued that the woman dubbing her had a more difficult time singing the part than Jeanne Crain did acting it.  JMO.

actually, i have heard numerous performers comment that good lip syncing is, ironically, no easy task that requires a good deal of skill.

• Like 1

Can't help with your other highlighted titles--haven't seen them.

Well then let me help you with one of them, film lover. Here's my review of Swamp Water from my Dana Andrews thread. (Hey, these Dana Andrews threads are populating on these boards faster than rabbits now, aren't they?). Aside from that, this film has a young, earnest Dana in the lead (in spite of his billing), and I think it's really one of his very best performances.

Here's what I wrote a few months ago:

I just had a first time viewing of director Jean Renoir's SWAMP WATER, a long forgotten (and vault buried) 1941 feature of 20th Century Fox.

Wonderfully atmospheric, it was shot on location in Georgia's Okefenokee Swamp, dealing with the country folk living by that swamp and their relationship with that dangerous gator, cottonmouth, quicksand filled bog where men are known to enter but often never be seen again.

f51dba25-74fc-4b3f-932c-f19b041046f8_zps

Dana Andrews plays a young man trying to assert his independence from a domineering, proud father (played by Walter Huston with a stern dignity). Other characters (all wonderfully credible) include Walter Brennan as a convicted murderer hiding in the swamp, and Anne Baxter as his innocent, shy daughter working for the town's store keeper. The cast is filled out with a great collection of character actors, including Eugene Pallette as the sheriff, John Carradine as a man with a secret, and Ward Bond and Guinn Williams as a pair of troublesome louts.

Andrews, in an early screen performance, is very impressive, in my opinion, playing the approaching adulthood son, rebelling from his father's authority, with the same kind of sensitivity that would later distinguish his portrayal in The Ox Bow Incident. He's very winning in a role far removed from the stoic types for which he is largely remembered today. It's an impressive demonstration of Andrews's acting range when you contrast this performance to the wise acres tough guy that he played the same year in Ball of Fire.

b8b9a8cd-bae3-4a56-af45-e9328016444d_zps

But the star of this film is in many ways the swamp itself. Beautifully photographed on location, it becomes a living entity on its own, a swamp that is discussed by the film's characters with a fear, at times a nervous laughter. One of the earliest shots in the film is a suitably grim one, a skull on the end of a makeshift cross stuck in the swamp, an ominous warning for anyone who dares to venture into those deadly waters. And there's a death scene in the swamp that I found chillingly, eerily believable.

111_zpsp0zgzv6n.jpg

I heartily recommend the little known Swamp Water, just released on DVD and Blue Ray, for its involving story line and characterizations and, the atmosphere to be found in the photography of the Okefenokee.

For the time being, at least, a very nice image of this film can be found on You Tube, as well. (This is the way I saw it).

• Like 2

the 1945 version of STATE FAIR has been requested and mentioned glowingly numerous times over the years by various posters- it's a Fox film and there may even be deeper issues with the copyright or soundtrack. so I wouldn't count seeing it on TCM any time soon. it and MARGIE have been cited as two films of Jeanne Crain's wherein she is supposedly very good...so i'd be interested to see them because, while I understand she has her fans, Jeanne Crain has not impressed me at all in the few films of hers that I have seen- PINKY, PEOPLE WILL TALK, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and A LETTER TO THREE WIVES.

If anyone is interested... 

The 1945 State Fair is available for streaming on Netflix.