Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To The Shorts Fans / Collectors -

A few people on the Info Pleae board have expressed an interest in starting a shorts collection for themselves. I have advised them to check the schedule's runtimes vs. the length of the time time slot alloted to the movie. A "gap" of 15min or more is a great indicator a short will show up.

Last night there was nearly an hour between the end of "Funny Face" and the start of "Easter Parade" that was filled with a great 30 min film recapping the 1939 Academy Awards ceremony with acceptance speeches and more and the hour concluded with the "Festival of Shorts" program that included the Cinemascope "Merry Wives of Windsor Overture" by the MGM Orchestra and the sublime animated "The Dot and The Line" by Chuck Jones and narrated by Robert Morley.

Anyway, tonight/tomorrow there is a similar long break between the end of "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang" and the start of "The Valley Of Decison" of about 45 minutes that may be good mining if one is looking to record shorts.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those few that are actively pursuing these "little" films.

Kyle in Hollywood

Thanks for the info. They had Star in The Night on and a shjort about Trapez Artists. I've heard about Star from the Message boards at Christmas time and was curious about it.

When space allows, I like to add a short and/or a cartoon to a film I have recorded on DVD. That way, it makes it more like going to the movies in the old days. Luckily, using one of those recording machines, similar to Tivo, from my satellite company, I can keep up to one hundred hours and then search through a number of recordings for the right short before going to DVD recording.

One thing I have noticed is that you can usually get a short, cartoon, or trailer that ties in to the film just before TCM airs it. So, if Lust for Life appears at 2 PM, there is a good chance they might run that short on the making of the movie sometime between 1:30 and 1:59. Or they might have a short about the Navy just before a Navy-type movie. It'd be nice if they would run it after the movie, but I guess it is their way of warming us to the main feature.

marys -

Thanks for posting what was shown (I was soundly sleeping and I can feel better for it now) as I have a recording of the Star in the Night film short already and have seen (if it is what I think it is) the Pete Smith Specialty about the trapeze family.

Sadly, perusing the rest of the schedule for the month and there doesn't seem to be another large block of 'open time' to set aside for shorts. 30 minutes seems to be about the longest I can see. If another 'window' opens, I'll try to give another heads up.

filmlover -

I record a lot of films for friends I work with (all aspiring actors who naively believe that film acting - for men, anyway - begins and ends with Marlon Brando to which I respond with "The Heiress" and "A Place In The Sun") and started trying to collect shorts and cartoons as lead ins just as you are trying to do.

I envy you and your digital set-up. I still labor in the analog 20th century. I am too proud of my collection on tape to want to start the collection over with digital recordings.

I, too, have noticed that films will often have an apropos 'lead-in' short/cartoon. I was quite pleased a few months ago when TCM coupled cartoon parodies with the films that inspired them - even if it was just a play on words with the title.

There is still one short I would desperately like to get my hands on for a friend. It a Fitzpatrick travelogue on postwar New York City that runs close to twenty minutes. It is often added to the end of "On The Town" but the past few showings of that film have not been fruitful. Just have to keep on trying.

Kyle in Hollywood

(ps - and just in case you're wondering, I give the aspiring actresses at work a copy of "Rebecca" and see which actress they are most affected by, Joan Fontaine or Judith Anderson. They usually talk about Mrs Danvers. I'm not surprised. It really isn't a "fair fight", is it?)

The Short features on TCM have gotten far and few in-between lately. There was a time when you could count on a short if there was a 10 to 15 minute space but now it is filled with promotions for DVD sales. I use to check in to see if there was going to be a short even if I wasn't going to watch the movie, but after so many no shows I gave up on it.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if it was because of my posted suggestion in this thread about a month ago, but I am happy that TCM is now running shorts that tie into a movie after the movie instead of before it where they might be missed because we tune into a movie just when it is to begin. Thanks, TCM progammer.

Agreed.

I noticed last night that 42nd Street was followed by a short film/newsreel about the cross-country train ride of "The 42nd Street Special".

Very nice to have it at the end of the film

Kyle in Hollywood

"Dames" had the short, "And She Learned About Dames" last night, too.

And "Soylent Green" had the short about it after.

And "Shoes of the Fisherman" had its short after it, too.

I am very glad about this.

Unfortunately, the recent DVD of LUST FOR LIFE doesn't contain the short Darkness into Light that TCM runs faithfully in conjunction with its showings of the feature film. It's difficult to understand what happened.

I have noticed in the past year or so TCM has been starting its features on the quarter hour more and more. It used to be if a movie ended at say 10:35 PM then they would show a short and a few announcements until the next move started at 11:00 PM. But now the next movie will start at 10:45 PM and I will miss the 'tweenies as I call them. Sometimes they are more interesting than the features! Has anyone else noticed this? Are they trying to get more movies on the schedule or what?

Hi Kyle!

My name is Betsy FitzPatrick and I am James A's daughter in law. The traveltalks were all passed on to my husband when his father died. Sadly my husband Anthony James FitzPatrick died a few years ago. Turner entertainment has possession of only about half of the traveltalks. I own the rest of James A's work and would be happy to help you out. I will have to sort through all of the film and videos. I also have many on location stills of James and crew and all the places they filmed.

Sincerely,

Betsy FitzPatrick

Betsy FitzPatrick -

Wow! What a surprise! And an apology to the mis-spelling of your famous surname. I'll definitely remember to capitalize the "P" from this day forward.

Your Father-in-Law's works are often the subject of discussions around here. James FitzPatrick's films a real favorite to many falks. Many people have posted inquiries about trying to get a definitive total number of Traveltalks. That they aren't all in the Turner Library may explain why there are differing totals.

see here (hopefully this works)

http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=72781&start=0#7763362

I know the Traveltalk that I have expressed interest in having a copy of is one in the Turner Library. My best friend teaches ESL in New York City and I think the New York City Traveltalk is something his students would be very interested in seeing and discussing. That is my motivation to catching a showing on TCM on tape.

What a wonderful instance of serendipity that our paths crossed here. And what an interesting and valuable archive which you have the honor of being the custodian. And I am sure you are aware of that. I've never had the pleasure to know someone that actually had something of such importance in their possesion. I'm curious what that is like. And I bet there are others around here that may be curious too.

We're a pretty nice group of film buffs and I hope they are checking in here too. I bet others would like to hear about your Father-in-Law from your relationship.

Looking forward to chatting with you more.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hello,

I like the idea of "customizing" home recordings with short films.

Last night, I was transferring some movies from hard drive to DVD. On the hard drive was a two minute 'clip' that needed a home on DVD (before we accidentally erased the thing).

The movie clip, I call "convertible airplane", is (unintentionally) hilarious--Lana Turner and Zachary Scott piloting a small airplane...the plane reaches cruising altitude...Zachary Scott reaches overhead and slides the top of the airplane back...Turner and Scott make themselves comfortable in their seats and start a conversation. I am surprised they didn't light up cigarettes! Though travelling hundreds of miles an hour, only a slight breeze is noted--a little mussing of hair.

BTW: I think the movie is "Cass Timberlane".

We (my wife and I) knew about this goofy movie moment, but not the name of the movie. When TCM broadcast the thing last week, my wife came running into the living room and started the recorder just in time to catch the scene. I found a home for the clip right after the "RKO" lead out screen on a aviation plot movie.

It's weird...it's funny. I think I will customize more movie transfers in the future.

Rusty