Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

watching and collecting for over 30 years, my favorites being the black and white classics, errol flynn, gary cooper, ronald regan, allan hale, clark gable and so on. the movie that got me started collecting was the pink panter staring peter sellers. my collection consists of over 300 movies, that i watch all the time while searching for other movies to add to my collection. i also study the methods the actors use to imerse themselfs into the situations and characters their portraying. this brings me to my point" the new PINK PANTHER movie. although i respect steve martin as a entertainer its clear to me that hes in way over his head in this role". he doesnt posess the skills nor the manerisims that this role requires. its clear to me that the perfect fit for this role is MARTIN SHORT. hes the only comidic actor that posess the skills and manerisims requried for this role". im curious to if he was contacted in referance to this role ? or if he would have been interested in the role. with all due respect to steve martin, i dont even have to see the new movie to know that it will be a mediocore short lived film". i pray for the day that hollywood insists on MARTIN SORT for the role and resurects the classic panter series. im sure at that point and time i would obtain a couple of speeding tickets on my way to the opening".

What were they thinking. The role of the inspector was and will be always Peter

Sellers"s. Do not plan on watching Steve Martin destroy the image. Peter Sellers had a touch of Genus. One of my favorite scene's is when he puts his key in the door of his apartment, a lady comes in the hall. Being a gentleman he bows. The key is on a chain so when he bows he rips his pants, his groceries go everywhere. He starts dancing on the spilled rice. There is no way Steve Martin

could even come close to Sellers. I already emailed MGM and Blake Edwards about the they are messing with perfection. For example Alan Arkin played the

inspector,how many people remember that?

I remember Arkin and he was hard to buy as Clouseau as well. Not really that he wasn't good but he wasn't Sellers. So it goes with Martin. When you can go to the video store and get all of the Panther series why would you settle for this one. Again, it's the danger of remakes. You can't help but set yourself up for comparisons and more often than not you are going to lose.

It goes without saying I agree, too. This is another tasteless example of the greedy, uncreative filmmaking machine that is currently a substitute for what was once a fine industry. The unfortunate aspect is that scads and scads of kids are going to flock to it and love it and consider the original (if they are ever moved enough to sit through it) "old-fashioned." It's a shame.

Hello,

A few days ago I was looking something up on IMDB and saw this:

"Sunset Boulevard (2006)

Genre: Musical

Plot Summary: Joe is a cynical screenplay writer disenchanted by his ill luck on the Hollywood scene. Norma is a washed-up... (more)

Comments: Glenn Close will star.

Status Updated: 10 July 2005

Note: Since this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change..."

I have not seen the stage musical. I won't judge the movie until I see the movie. If I ever see the movie.

However (and please don't take offense), paraphrasing Norma Desmond:

There once was a time in this business when I had the eyes of the whole world! But that wasn't good enough for them, oh no! They had to have the ears of the whole world too. So they opened their big mouths and out came sing...Sing!...SING!

Rusty

Arkins version of The Pink Panther was a good film, he took the character in a different direction then Sellars and it was made when Sellars was considered box office poison for the US market. This new version on the other hand is just a clone that is only a cheap pale shadow of the original adding nothing new or interesting to the film.

It always has angered me as to why people even remake olden day films...to me there really is no way to "recreate" the originals. although now days we may have better technology that does not mean in anyway that movies are better. This also proves that Hollywood is losing ideas.

I understand your impatience with remakes. However this is nothing new. I don't mind them if they actually improve on the original. But rarely do they actually improve. Most of the recent remakes are of mindless movies to start with...but if they try to remake "All About Eve" or "The Apartment" or "The Days of Wine and Roses" I would be OUTRAGED! They simply can't improve upon perfection!

I agree with what everyone else has been saying! If the classics are good, why release a lousy re-make? This has been happening more and more in the past few years, which shows that creativity in Hollywood has taken a nosedive. Think of "King Kong," "Fun with Dick and Jane," "Cheaper by the Dozen," and now "The Pink Panther" just in the past few months. There have also been tons of sequels and book-based movies ("The DaVinci Code," "Harry Potter"). I was quite unhappy when I heard about "The Pink Panther" re-make. Peter Sellers was brilliant and there is no way another actor could do a better job in the role of Clouseau. From what I have seen on commercials, it appears that Steve Martin is just trying to copy Sellers right down to the fake French accent and the mustache. The new movie also appears to consist of mostly slapstick/action, which, although present, did not dominate the original films. My point is, instead of putting a different spin on a classic, in nearly all cases, they just try to copy it and in the process ruin it. The 1960s TV series "Get Smart" is supposed to be re-made in movie form in the next year and I'm not anxious to see what they do with that. There is only one case in which I liked a re-make as much as the original - the 1960s remake of "My Favorite Wife" (from 1940 with Irene Dunne & Cary Grant), called "Move Over, Darling" (with Doris Day and James Garner). Neither one is a serious movie, but the 1960s version is a little lighter.

Of course Steve Martin couldn't take the place of the comc genius known as Peter Sellers, and neither can any other actor, for that matter.

However, my daughter and her fiancee went to see the new Pink Panther flick, since my future son-in-law likes to laugh at the movies. And laugh, he did. I was told that the theater was in a frenzy of laughter while watching the movie.

I believe that movie goers want to laugh today, considering the downbeat films that are being made. Just take a look at some of the best picture Oscar nominees.

Steve Martin has been discovered by a new generation, mainly the young crowd that made his "Cheaper by the Dozen" a box office winner. According to an article in the LATimes, Amy Pasquale at Sony wanted the sexual humor in Panther toned down so that it would have appeal to the family audience.

Seems to have worked if last weekends box office is any indication. I think the family audience is starved for good movies they can all see together.

ok sure remakes are never, normally, better then the originals. But imagine how many people haven't ever seen or heard of the original Pink Panther or ever will. well at least now they have heard of it and if they like this movie it may inspire them to see the original. I think it opens today's generation to the classics. Actually i saw it today and thought it was good, i just didnt think of it as a remake and watched it like a brand new movie. I hate the movies they make today so i was glad to be able to go to a theatre and at least watch the plot of a classic.

To me buddy Mongo & others on this topic.movie, I was going to write a review

of it on here, as opposed to another site-(LA Times, OW, GD,etc) I like to often post some on here like re-makes of classics due to the broader intelligence of this audience, as opposed to kids on other sites. Like I recently-(sounds bizarre when I say it to myself, given I've seen a few others since then.)

Posted reviews of "The Producers" (**1/2-out of 4) & "King Kong" (****-stars!)-(the latter I actually found to be so amazing I went back again. Something I rarely do anymore. It's B.O. is a mystery, at only $220m domestically? However, it's disgustingly low showing with OSCAR is as expected, but I have a theory as to why & it's due to *P. Jackson, just being so over honored for his final in his *"LOR-ROTK" (2003)-(record tie-ing 11 OSCARS)-(by the way, I think we can all agree, shouldn't matter anyway. If something deserves it, it deserves it. & most of all "Kong's," score by: James Newton Howard wasn't even nommed?) I still, as most other pundits did as well, think it would score more than 4 noms though?

As well as "C. Man"-(3 nods.) My sole debit to "Kong," is casting of Jack Black in R. Armstrong's role. Matter of fact & irony, I think the soon to Walk Down the Aisle-(for "Capote") Phillip Seymour Hoffman woulda' been pitch-perfect for he role! Imagine *Christopher Walken as Carl Denham?

As for "Pink Panther" It's better than I expected it to be, especially considering it's been on the shelf over a year!? & I don't think I've ever known of a person that disliked Steve Martin.-(SIDEBAR: Of whom by the way woulda' been a better OSCAR Host then 1st time pick: Jon Stewart, comin' up? Nobody ever cites Martin's yrs as host? He does an adequete job. & most may think I am nuts Mongo has likely already heard me say this-(or, I should say, write this) Don't underestimate: Albert Brooks, that is if they would give the OSCAR contender the shot, which seems very unlikely!?)

But, back to the flick. I always rate things in their own regard & Steve is funny, but Sellers was a genius! Compared to most movies playin' though this is ok & worth a look. Not in same league as Martin's best pix>"Planes, Trains & Automobiles"/ "Pennies from Heaven"-(definately an acquired taste)/ "Parenthood" & his best per>"Roxanne"-(many critics were furious in '84 & '87 when the AMPAS snubbed him for that comedy & "All of Me"-(strangely, at same period they were embracing fellow comic: *Robin Williams, but ignoring him?) & 1 all of us TCM-IT'S are well aware & fond of>1982 homage to *Bogie, Raymond Chandler, Hammett & film 'noir "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" To his worst>"Bringing Down the House" (*) However, they threw in Beyonce for the younger crowd here & yep, she's beautiful & all, but it's an obvious ploy. Don't miss opening credits though. I was worried though, given it's director helmed first re-hatch of Martin's hugely popular re-make of "Cheaper by the Dozen" (of course based of the 1950 20th Century Fox picture with: Myrna Loy & Clifton Webb) I was kinda' scratching my head on way out-(mostly an all very elderly crowd for some reason?) as to why they had so little faith in this alright re-make, when so many other re-makes-(& believe me brother, there is a ton comin'!) are so much worse & even awful-("Amityville Horror"-worst new release I think I went to in a decade!)

(FINAL NOTE: By the way "P. Panther," lead weekend marginally at about $22m.)

"Pink Panther" (0fficial star rating system: **1/2-out of four stars)

& you folks must have seen the trailers by now. "Poseidon" Yep, a sequel to the '72 blockbuster.

Due in a few weeks.-(Kurt Russell stars. I like Kurt ok , but he's no*Gene Hackman, to say the least) As well as "The Shaggy Dog"-(see what I mean)

Next> Harrison Ford's newest-latest "Firewall" I'll not review that 1 here though.

It's getting pretty lame notices, unfortunately for him. I rank Ford, along with: *Eastwood, *Hanks & *M. Douglas About the closest we have in this era to

"THE HEROES/IDOLS" & "ROLE MODELS" of Hollywoods Golden Age/Studio-System-(1925-60) *Gable, *Tracy, *Bogart-((TRIVIA: Both *Spielberg & Lucas compare Harrison to *Bogie, the most for some reason), *Cooper, *Jimmy Stewart & of course *"Duke" Wayne-(I would instantly cite *Henry Fonda, except he broke ranks, though brilliantly & did what what>*Coop, *Stewart & Wayne swore they would never do. Play an all out villian. & *Hank did so. TREMENDOUSLY! 1st in '68's "Firecreek" & then in the magnificent "0nce Upon a Time in the West (1969) It's written in several books as to how fitting at the end of the 1960's, when the country & a lotta' the world was falling apart-(problems with his kids), that the man of whom played Lincoln, Wyatt Earp, Mr. Roberts,etc would then play a child killer!

Thank You for your time Mongo-(I NEED YOUR ALTERNATE OSCAR PIX PLEASE)

Message was edited by:

myidolspencer

Message was edited by:

myidolspencer

I agree that Kong should have been nominated, as well as Narnia. That way they'd have more than a handful of people watching the Oscars this year. I think a big snub this year was The Great Raid. I read in LA Weekly online that there were several members of the academy who didn't even see Brokeback Mountain ... then how did it get nominated??? The reviewer loved the movie but lashed out at the academy for being hypocritces.

As far as remakes go, I cherry pick them but not against them. I wonder how many people who are against remakes realize that some of the classic movies they love are actually remakes from the silent era, i.e. The Wizard of Oz.