Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Addicting films

Rusty,

My mom and dad took me to see "Gone With the Wind" when they re-released it for the centennial of the Civil War (in 1961) It was the first time I saw it and when Bonnie Blue Butler was killed by her pony I was absolutely traumatized! Every time I saw it after that I had to get up and leave the theatre until the scene was over! I suppose I was almost 30 before I could sit through the scene...Someone brought up "Sullivan's Travels" and that is a wonderful film!

You also mentioned Sergio Leone and I really didn't like his movies as a teen ager but I have come to really enjoy them as an adult. I especially love "Once Upon a Time in the West" since they have released it in its complete form.

HGL3,

I sense an opportunity to reminisce without having to see the usual reaction--droopy eyelids.

Of the movies I mentioned, I remember only "small girl transforms into old lady" from "The Haunting" as scaring the pa-tooties out of me. That scene was not even designed to be scary...strange reaction (on my part).

Oh, maybe one other memorable scare--the neighbor with no eyes from "The Birds".

Several televised movie moments that I remember as childhood traumas:

The "dance of the dead" from "Carnival Of Souls".

The diabolical binoculars from "Horrors Of The Black Museum".

The first thirty minutes of "Eyes Without A Face" (1959). Why only thirty minutes? Because dad had had enough of 'face removals' and the TV dial was turned. "But...dad!!".

Rusty

I never get tired of watching these films, and have seen them all many times:

Now, Voyager

All This and Heaven Too

Love Affair

The Nun's Story

Doctor Zhivago

Casablanca

To Have and Have Not

All That Heaven Allows

More recent favorites:

The English Patient

Out of Africa

The Bridges of Madison County

The Joy Luck Club

Dances With Wolves

Amadeus

Reality Bites

The Matrix

Of the above, the ones I watch most (at least twice a year, plus any other time I want a 'comfort film' ) are:

Doctor Zhivago

All This and Heaven Too

The English Patient

Out of Africa

The Bridges of Madison County

And if I had to choose just ONE of the above to take to a desert island, it would be....

Doctor Zhivago

Guess I can't get enough of that whole passionate-love-in-impossible-situations thing. *lol*

No, I've not read the book yet. To be honest, I assumed that it probably wasn't in print anymore, and so I've never even tried to locate a copy!

But I might get on Amazon and see what I can come up with there. I really love that film - not only because Bette Davis and Charles Boyer did a fabulous job...but also because the story is just such a great tear-jerker!

Hi Bogey -

I agree with you: "Jeremiah Johnson," "My Fair Lady," "As Good as it Gets" - terrific movies all. Again and again.

Somebody else on this thread mentioned "All About Eve" - my #1 favorite movie of all time. Literate, witty, with an accurate portrayal of the Broadway theatrical scene and some stunning performances. And, as so many really good actors and actresses will be the first to admit, it all begins with the word. And wonderful words they are, by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. I have a book called "More About All About Eve," which is basically just a long conversation with Mankiewicz followed by the complete script for "All About Eve." It's one of those rare books that I go back and re-read every year (another is "The Season" by William Goldman).

"The Searchers" is #2 on my list of all time favorites, followed by "Gone With the Wind," "The Sand Pebbles," and "Arthur" (I have enjoyed "Some Like It Hot" over the years, but "Arthur" really made me laugh out loud - and often. Dudley Moore and John Gielgud were just terrific - and Liza was pretty good, too). Is "Arthur" even on the AFI's list of best comedies?

And for those of you who haven't read "All This and Heaven Too," don't go to Amazon; go to your local library - it probably needs all the support you can give it. Libraries - fascinating places with some real gems just waiting for you, and you don't even have to bring your credit card!

If you get a chance to see "Kundun" or "Seven Years In Tibet" or "Little Buddha" or "The Razor's Edge" or "The Last Emperor" (nine academy awards, I think; too long, but gorgeous), I'd like to know what you think of them.

Thanks for listening. Have a great day -

Ralph

Well, thanks to reading this thread, I picked up what is no doubt a great film at a cheap price today.

Was wondering around Best Buy at lunch and came upon a copy of "The Razor's Edge" really cheap, so I picked it up.

I've only seen 1 or 2 Tyrone Power films before this one, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks jarhfive!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for "Nightmare Alley". Do you know if it is it likely to come up on TCM? Or will I need to find it online?

I'm really excited about watching "The Razor's Edge". I just looked Tyrone Power up in the database and am embarassed to discover that I've only seen two of his films before now.

pktrekgirl,

If you get the Fox Movie Channel, look for it there. They ran a whole day of Tyrone Power movies on there a couple of months ago and I was able to record a few including "Nightmare Alley" Failing that, Fox just released it on DVD as part of their Film Noir Collection.

pktrekgirl,

Hello. I grew up in an area of Colorado located on the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains. Spent 'alf my youth wandering around the local mountains.

"Jeremiah Johnson" is the only movie I have ever seen that captures the spirit of the mountains. My brother agrees. So two people say, "Jeremiah Johnson is the one movie that 'gets' the mountain-spirit-thing".

Other movies may have been produced that communicate the same sort of feelings (mountain-spirit-wise)--I don't know.

I bought the movie when it first came out on VHS. What a horrible presentation! I bought the DVD three or four years ago. Things I saw on that DVD (such as titles) did not even show up on the tape! Thank God for DVDs.

One of my favorites? Oh...yeah.

Rusty

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of the worst for wanting to watch one movie over and over. Some of my favorites to view time and time again are:Step Lively, The Gay Divorcee, Tea for Two (can anyone tire of Gordon MacRae?), Call Me Madam, The Court Jester, The Thin Man, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday to name a few. They always lift my spirits and relax me. I never tire of them because they are truly entertaining--just for the sake of entertainment. Nothing really profound, just entertainment. They provide an escape to what I consider to be a more peaceful time. I like the comedy they provide; in these, a corny joke can really be funny because of the character, and jokes don't have to be on the more sophisticated level on which they seem to be today. These films (and others) are a pleasure to watch over and over.

• 2 months later...

For me it would have to be All About Eve, North by Northwest, Casablanca, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Libeled Lady, Out of the Past, and Rear Window.

As for contemporary movies, the Jason Bourne films with Matt Damon, The English Patient, The Pianist, and Remains of the Day. I think I could successfully burn all of those out. I love watching these films with first time viewers too, I think that is like the greatest experience, seeing their initially reactions to scenes in movies you love.

And as for a contemporary television series, as someone touched on that with a choice of their own, I have to say 24 is very arresting.

Bogie (Not to be confused with Bogey)

I am one that can also watch certain films over and over again. For instance, any of The Thin Man pictures, The Awful Truth, My Favorite Wife, Libeled Lady, any Astaire/Rogers picture. They are just so light-hearted and fun to watch. I believe that there is a lot of that missing from movies of the present. Not that I don't enjoy those as well. They are just different. I mean, I could watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind over and over. Or The Big Lebowski. But a little different comedy, you know what I mean? I'm new to this message board by the way. I'm from Northern California, north of Sacramento, so Hi to all :) Oh, and I"m obsessed with classics, especially from the 30's and 40's.

In no special order-Nightmare Alley,i Wake Up Screaming,Brute Force,The Searchers,Fort Apache,The Naked City,Criss Cross,The Quiet Man,The Ox-Bow Incident,FuryThe Gunfighter,and The Long Voyage Home.Also Of Mice and Men(Lewis Milestone version),The Grapes of Wrath,The Big Sleep(Hawks),The Killers(Siodmak),and How Green Was My Valley.

My number one is Gilda. I'm a sucker for the femmes fatale that is for sure. Anything with Rita in it really.

Rear Window is also at the top, along with:

Mildred Pierce,

Beyond the Forest,

Casablanca,

A Foreign Affair,

Red Dust,

Some Like it Hot,

Top Hat,

The Clock.....

I Love The Quiet Man the story is so good .Guess Who's Coming To Dinner is another one .Sidney Poitier Spencer Tracy Katharine Hepburn .I like it when she tells her partner to get lost as well I see someone else mentioned the scene too.To catch A Thief, Rear Window

• 3 weeks later...

Even though I have the DVD's I'll still watch Die Hard whenever I see it on tv. It's my favorite Christmas movie. I know, I'm warped. My kids gave up on me long ago. I will also watch Goodbye Mr Chips evertime it's on too.

Two films that come to mind right now are Here Comes Mr Jordan and Mr Deeds Goes To Town. No matter how many times I've seen them, any time I see them on tv I simply can't tear myself away from watching them again.