Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

favorite movie drunk

Didja ever notice--alcohol is all over classic movies. I thinks it's because gave the writers freedom to get a character drunk and let them do stupid , possibly censorable things, then have a good lesson at the end. (Alcohol is a mocker...LOL)

Anyway, I was watching "The Philadelphia Story" the other night and laughing at James Stewart accosting Cary Grant while totally toasted and I wondered--am I the only one who finds this stuff funny?

What are your favorite movie drunks?

traceyk65,

Second thoughts. Not "Tipsy Rogers".

I would have to say favorite drunks:

Every damn character (including the youngsters) on every damn soap opera from the 1960's. These people swam in an alcoholic sea while...visiting and drinking and...visiting and drinking and...visiting, gossiping and drinking. All day and every day. Hollow leg? You bet. No one ever passed out or, even showed the slightest sign they had a blood alcohol of 5 percent. Drive? You bet. How do you think these "drunks" traveled from place to place for all that visiting?

Rusty

As bad as it sounds, I'll have to say Ray Milland in THE LOST WEEKEND.

Why? Because my own struggles two years ago are very similar to his in this movie. Thank God, I'm off the sauce and I can enjoy my life like a regular bird.

SMASH-UP: STORY OF A WOMAN was another that that jet-set my rockets into another direction. Believe that one debuted last year....I could be wrong though.

Anyone see that one on TCM before last year?

Jack Norton.

He played a lot bit roles as a drunk. It was kind of his signature. He was in "The Roaring Twenties," "The Bank Dick," "The Horn Blows at Midnight," and many, many others.

Susan Hayward, right? No, I doubt I'd known about it before TCM. I notice I don't have it taped, darn it. Will have to look for it.

My favorite wooden leg drunks were Nick and Nora Charles. 'Another martini, mommy?' Ah, the good old days in the movies, when men were men and women were men and smoked and drank with abandon.

Even Nick Charles, though, cut back on his drinking, thanks to whom? Hays? The other guy (whose name I cannot remember for the life of me)? Especially his movies with Nick Jr., they were positively antiseptic.

Path, that link you posted below about the old thread Favorite Drunks that we enjoyed on the boards, brought back memories.

It was nice to see the names of members that unfortunately are no longer participating.

Those were the days.

For me too mongo! In fact, I only knew the names from the most recent (of three) page(s) - and I've been here almost 3 years, and I still got nostalgic. I guess it's a given that most topics have been discussed here before, but's it funny how certain ones keep popping up again and again;-)

Yeah, who knew James Stewart could play drunk so well? That scene constantly comes up during TCM's Scene It game and it always makes me laugh. For me, Nick and Nora. Although the scene where Nick Jr. makes his father drink milk was pretty great, the rest of that sort of... wasn't.

Gary Cooper and Fredric March in Design For Living, when Gilda leaves them both alone in the apartment. That one had me rolling with laughter. They were both so funny. "I refuse to be silly."

On the other end of the spectrum for Fredric, A Star Is Born was so painful to watch. "His work is beginning to interfere with his drinking." The scene where he interrupts her speech? He earned that Oscar nomination, for sure.

There was an actor named Arthur Housman. He worked mostly in the 20s &30's. Some of his work is earlier than that. He was more of a comic drunk. He did some things with Laurel and Hardy and a has a long filmography, mostly in comedies. The IMDb lists nearly everything he was in as a "drunk" or something like it. Poor guy became a real drunk.

I like Jimmy Stewart in "Harvey" as well.