Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LawrenceA

Top Ten Films of...

56 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The latest edition of the 1001 Movies You Must See book has been released, and here are the newly added titles:

• The Greatest Showman (2017)
  • Phantom Thread (2017)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
  • BlacKkKlansman (2018)
  • Capernaum (2018)
  • Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
  • The Favourite (2018)
  • Hereditary (2018)
  • Roma (2018)
  • Sorry to Bother You (2018)
  • A Star Is Born (2018)
  • Vice (2018)

I haven't seen A Star Is Born or Capernaum. There's only one among the others that I'd include. The inclusion of The Greatest Showman is baffling. I hope to read the book entry to see why they included it.

Which one would you include, the Spike Lee title, the Paul Thomas Anderson one, or Hereditary? As for Greatest Showman, I didn't see much of it. My mother watched it one night on HBO, and I saw a little bit of it. The only possible reason i could think of for its inclusion is that it became one of the first big word-of-mouth hits in years. Its opening weekend seemingly had it marked as DOA, and yet bit by bit it grossed $174 million in the Domestic market bit by bit and by holding steady every weekend. 

That said, I really don't think many of these new adds will be around for long. Most seem like flavors of the month.

These films were removed to make room for those new titles, and a few of them are pretty glaring.....

Removed:
Buffalo 66
Magnolia
Kippur
Amores Perros
Yi Yi
Talk to Her
Victoria
Spotlight
Under the Shadow
Dawson City: Frozen Time
Lady MacBeth
Three Kings

11 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Which one would you include, the Spike Lee title, the Paul Thomas Anderson one, or Hereditary? As for Greatest Showman, I didn't see much of it. My mother watched it one night on HBO, and I saw a little bit of it. The only possible reason i could think of for its inclusion is that it became one of the first big word-of-mouth hits in years. Its opening weekend seemingly had it marked as DOA, and yet bit by bit it grossed $174 million in the Domestic market bit by bit and by holding steady every weekend. 

That said, I really don't think many of these new adds will be around for long. Most seem like flavors of the month.

These films were removed to make room for those new titles, and a few of them are pretty glaring.....

Removed:
Buffalo 66
Magnolia
Kippur
Amores Perros
Yi Yi
Talk to Her
Victoria
Spotlight
Under the Shadow
Dawson City: Frozen Time
Lady MacBeth
Three Kings

Yeah, I love Magnolia (I gave it a 10/10), but it doesn't seem to be maintaining it's standing like I thought it would.

One thing to keep in mind about the movies in this book (and all lists are subjective, anyway), is that these aren't  intended to be the best movies ever made, but movies that are noteworthy for some reason. Maybe they kick-started the movie renaissance in some country or another, or had groundbreaking FX, or caused a major cultural discussion, or were a "first" of some kind, or have developed a substantial and influential cult following. And yeah, some of them the writers just think are good. With that in mind, I can usually pinpoint why a movie was chosen for inclusion. But with The Greatest Showman, I have no clue, unless it was because the soundtrack sold well.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Ugh. I HATED The Greatest Showman.  Hugh Jackman was great.  But I could have done without 80% of the cast. It started out well, then devolved into this thing where everyone had to have their own showcase and the original message in the film (the message I took from it was a man trying to make good for his family while achieving his dream, save for the actual controversy with the real PT Barnum) was lost.  I cannot remember a single song from the entire movie. 

I'm surprised they didn't include La La Land (unless it's in a previous version).  I also thought that movie was terrible. Ryan Gosling has about as much appeal as a box of hair.  He also had no business being in a musical.  Literally the only thing I remember about this film is Emma Stone's yellow dress and the Ingrid Bergman poster in her apartment. 

Yeah, La La Land was included...but not The Long, Long Trailer!!! :o:(

• Sad 1

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I love Magnolia (I gave it a 10/10), but it doesn't seem to be maintaining it's standing like I thought it would.

One thing to keep in mind about the movies in this book (and all lists are subjective, anyway), is that these aren't  intended to be the best movies ever made, but movies that are noteworthy for some reason. Maybe they kick-started the movie renaissance in some country or another, or had groundbreaking FX, or caused a major cultural discussion, or were a "first" of some kind, or have developed a substantial and influential cult following. And yeah, some of them the writers just think are good. With that in mind, I can usually pinpoint why a movie was chosen for inclusion. But with The Greatest Showman, I have no clue, unless it was because the soundtrack sold well.

I gave Magnolia a 10 as well, and I've seen quite a few give it the grade as well or refer to it as an all-time favorite, so its pretty shocking to me that it was pulled, because I still notice it being talked about a lot. Admittedly, one of the new films is from the same filmmaker (the wonderful Phantom Thread), but it still seems strange to me. 

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, La La Land was included...but not The Long, Long Trailer!!! :o:(

Ugh.

That is an abomination.  The Long, Long Trailer is superior in every way. 

"It's a fine thing when you come home to your home and your home is gone."

• Haha 1

As we approach the end of 2019, I'll invite anyone interested to post not only the usual Top Ten Favorites from this year, but also for the 2010-2019 decade. My choices for 2019 probably won't be set until midway through next year as I catch up with all the notable end-of-year releases. As of right now, I've only seen 2 movies from 2019 that I gave an 8/10 or higher rating (Midsommar and Dolemite Is My Name). Usually all of my top ten choices are 8/10 or higher rated, as well as my runner-up movies.

Top Ten Favorite Movies of the 2010's      (2002 titles seen)

1. 12 Years a Slave
  2. Mad Max: Fury Road
  3. Hereditary
  4. The Cabin in the Woods
  5. Blade Runner 2049
  6. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  7. Manchester By the Sea
  8. The Raid 2
  9. Inception
  10. Her

Runner-ups:

• The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Phantom Thread
  • Dunkirk
  • Whiplash
  • 127 Hours
  • Lincoln
  • Under the Skin
  • Monsters
  • Widows
  • Cloud Atlas
  • The Descendants
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
  • Silence
  • Life of Pi
  • The Descendants 
  • Drive
  • The Tree of Life
  • The Master

• Like 1

I've seen very little from this year, but I'm game for the decade best....

Top 10, with 40 after that unranked.

1. Brooklyn
2. About Time
3. 45 Years
4. True Grit
5. 20th Century Women
6. Never Let Me Go
7. The Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Life Itself (2014)
9. Nebraska
10. Phantom Thread

Runners-up:
Anna Karenina
Bad Times at the El Royale
Blade Runner 2049
Boyhood
The End of the Tour
Florence Foster Jenkins
Goodbye Christopher Robin
Gravity
Hell or High Water
The Help
How to Train Your Dragon
Hugo
If Beale Street Could Talk
The Imitation Game
Inside Out
Jackie
Joy
Labor Day
La La Land
Last Flag Flying
Lean on Pete
Les Miserables
Mary Poppins Returns
Paterson
Philomena
Ready Player One
Sing Street
Spotlight
Stan and Ollie
Testament of Youth
Their Finest
The Tree of Life
12 Years a Slave
When Marnie Was There
Whiplash
The Wind Rises
Woman in Gold
Won't You Be My Neighbor
Young Adult
Your Name.

• Like 2

Twin-Peaks1-640x914.jpg

1. Twin Peaks: the Return *

2. The Young Karl Marx

3. Moonrise Kingdom

4. The Pervert's Guide to Ideology

5. Skyfall 

6. The Artist

7. The Other Side of the Wind

8. Look Who's Back

9. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

10. The Tree of Life

*David Lynch called it a "film" and Cahiers du Cinema ranked it as a film on their lists so I'm including it

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 2:56 PM, LawrenceA said:

My choices for 2019 probably won't be set until midway through next year as I catch up with all the notable end-of-year releases. As of right now, I've only seen 2 movies from 2019 that I gave an 8/10 or higher rating (Midsommar and Dolemite Is My Name). Usually all of my top ten choices are 8/10 or higher rated, as well as my runner-up movies.

Just out of curiosity, were there many from the early part of this year that received a 7 (aka an almost reccomend grade) from you? I ask because so far, much of this year seems a bit flat to me.....

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

Just out of curiosity, were there many from the early part of this year that received a 7 (aka an almost reccomend grade) from you? I ask because so far, much of this year seems a bit flat to me.....

Not many. Here are the 7/10's that I've seen, in no particular order:

• Yesterday
  • Us
  • The Laundromat
  • The Dead Don't Die
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters
  • The Highwaymen
  • IO
  • Shazam
  • Alita: Battle Angel

Those last two were a big surprise, as I wasn't expecting much. I also liked the documentaries Rolling Thunder Revue and Fyre.

I'm holding out hope that some of the titles I haven't seen yet will help fill out my Top Ten of the year. I'm looking forward to Once Upon a Time in HollywoodJokerThe IrishmanKnives OutUncut GemsJojo RabbitThe LighthouseLittle WomenMarriage StoryMotherless BrooklynDoctor SleepHoney BoyBombshell1917, and The Two Popes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not many. Here are the 7/10's that I've seen, in no particular order:

• Yesterday
  • Us
  • The Laundromat
  • The Dead Don't Die
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters
  • The Highwaymen
  • IO
  • Shazam
  • Alita: Battle Angel

Those last two were a big surprise, as I wasn't expecting much. I also liked the documentaries Rolling Thunder Revue and Fyre.

I'm holding out hope that some of the titles I haven't seen yet will help fill out my Top Ten of the year. I'm looking forward to Once Upon a Time in HollywoodJokerThe IrishmanKnives OutUncut GemsJojo RabbitThe LighthouseLittle WomenMarriage StoryMotherless BrooklynDoctor SleepHoney BoyBombshell1917, and The Two Popes.

I did like Yesterday a lot (the only others I saw from this year so far were Toy Story 4, Downton Abbey, Late Night, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World and Dumbo), but I haven't seen any of the others, although Us, The Laundromat, and Shazam! will be on the docket. Maybe The Highwaymen and Spider-man too. 

Year-end titles are always the most intriguing of the year anymore and are often quite intriguing, but i find myself even getting nostalgic for movie years even 15 years ago. It seemed more fruitful for good movies over all back then. Am I crazy for thinking that?

Still have only seen 9....

Ranked....

1 The Farewell

2 Toy Story 4

3  Yesterday

4  A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

5 Downton Abbey

6 After the Wedding

7 Dumbo

8 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

9 Late Night

I'm very pleased by the first 6. 7 is better than expected. 8 doesn't stick in the memory too much, but it was good and has emotional parts. 9 has a wonderful Emma Thompson performance to buoy it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Still have only seen 9....

I only have 7...

1. The Irishman
  2. Midsommar
  3. Marriage Story
  4. The Farewell
  5. Dolemite Is My Name
  6. The Report
  7. Booksmart

I've also rated two documentaries with an 8/10, Rolling Thunder Revue and American Factory.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I only have 7...

1. The Irishman
  2. Midsommar
  3. Marriage Story
  4. The Farewell
  5. Dolemite Is My Name
  6. The Report
  7. Booksmart

I've also rated two documentaries with an 8/10, Rolling Thunder Revue and American Factory.

What films do you have yet to see, of the big ones? Me, I'm looking forward to Once upon a time in Hollywood, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Little Women, Richard Jewell, Judy, Blinded by the Light, Ford Vs Ferrari, Knives Out, Frozen II,  The Two Popes, The Report, A Hidden Life, 1917, The Good Liar, Motherless Brooklyn,  Just Mercy,  Clemency, and Jojo Rabbit

What films do you have yet to see, of the big ones? Me, I'm looking forward to Once upon a time in Hollywood, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Little Women, Richard Jewell, Judy, Blinded by the Light, Ford Vs Ferrari, Knives Out, Frozen II, The Report, A Hidden Life, 1917, The Good Liar, Motherless Brooklyn, and Jojo Rabbit

I'm looking forward to all of the ones you mention that I haven't seen, with the exception of Frozen II (I've never seen the first one!). I'm also waiting for JokerThe LighthouseThe Two Popes and Parasite.

Did you see The Souvenir? It's one of the more well-received films of the year, but it left me cold.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm looking forward to all of the ones you mention that I haven't seen, with the exception of Frozen II (I've never seen the first one!). I'm also waiting for JokerThe LighthouseThe Two Popes and Parasite.

Did you see The Souvenir? It's one of the more well-received films of the year, but it left me cold.

No, I haven't. I just saw it topped Sight and Sound's list, but it had barely been on my radar. Oh yes, I also want to see the documentary about Pauline Kael that comes out on Christmas day.

On 12/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, LawrenceA said:

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  2. The Irishman
  3. Midsommar
  4. Marriage Story
  5. The Farewell
  6. Dolemite Is My Name
  7. The Report
  8. Booksmart

Updated

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Updated

What was the final grade on Hollywood for you? I rented it last night and watched it between yesterday and today. I was bowled over.

What was the final grade on Hollywood for you? I rented it last night and watched it between yesterday and today. I was bowled over.

I absolutely loved it, and gave it a 10/10, only my second 10/10 in this decade.  In fact, this may be my favorite movie of the decade. Maybe it was the right movie at the right time for me, but I enjoyed it more than any movie that I've seen in a long time.

Oh, and in other potential-Oscar-movie news, I watched Hustlers today. I liked it more than I expected to. A 7/10 for me, and I can see why Jennifer Lopez may be nominated for it.

• Thanks 1

I absolutely loved it, and gave it a 10/10, only my second 10/10 in this decade.  In fact, this may be my favorite movie of the decade. Maybe it was the right movie at the right time for me, but I enjoyed it more than any movie that I've seen in a long time.

Oh, and in other potential-Oscar-movie news, I watched Hustlers today. I liked it more than I expected to. A 7/10 for me, and I can see why Jennifer Lopez may be nominated for it.

I gave it a 10 too. It's really one of Tarantino's two best films, and maybe his best  of all (The other for me was Jackie Brown). Just so many wonderful little touches throughout. I hope it wins best Picture and I think it will. It would be the best winner in a long time.

• Like 1