Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top Ten Films of...

LawrenceA

And of course, Coburn is the main character who bridges both halves of the story. His death scene near the end, something we see coming a mile away, is hard to take. The actor who comes closest to accomplishing the same dramatic effect with a larger than life character, to me, is Simon Callow in FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL.

Coburn's death scene is very much akin to the death scene of Jacob in Clifford Odets' 1935 play, Awake and Sing, in which the grandfather's death creates opportunities for his grandson. I don't know if Cronin knew the earlier play, but there is that plot connection. Jacob was played in the original production by Morris Carnovsky. The grandson -- Ralph -- was played by Jules (later John) Garfield.

• Like 1

1946 favorites:

1.) "Notorious"

2.) "The Big Sleep"

3.) "The Harvey Girls"

4.) " Ziegfeld Follies"--If all the film were as good as "Limehouse Blues", danced by Fred Astaire & Lucille Bremer, ZF would be #2.

5.) "The Best Years of Our Lives"

6.) "Gilda"

7,) " The Postman Always Rings Twice"

8.) " Cluny Brown"--Ernst Lubitsch's last completed film--Jennifer Jones is an expert farceur--who could have guessed--almost perfect small scale film--only flaw is it depends on ones' knowledge of British social classes--but this is nitpicking.  Wonderful comedy that doesn't have the general acknowledgement it deserves as a comedy classic .

9.) "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers"--classic noir with dream cast; Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Kirk Douglas, Lizabeth Scott, & Judith Anderson.

Two way tie for #10: 10.) "Bedlam"--Good script, good acting, & Producer Val Lewton spent money on this film.

10.) "Deadline at Dawn"--Good little noir where Susan Hayward has the brains and figures things out herself.

Oddity--"Yolanda and the Thief".  Stick out the first 20 minutes.  Film gets crazier and crazier--Fred Astaires' dream sequence has to be seen to be believed.  Song "Coffee Time" was a minor hit.  MGM still lost a bundle on this fragile, wispily plotted musical.

• Like 2

Coburn's death scene is very much akin to the death scene of Jacob in Clifford Odets' 1935 play, Awake and Sing, in which the grandfather's death creates opportunities for his grandson. I don't know if Cronin knew the earlier play, but there is that plot connection. Jacob was played in the original production by Morris Carnovsky. The grandson -- Ralph -- was played by Jules (later John) Garfield.

Interesting information. It's certainly possible Cronin knew of the play by Odets. 

Unless I am in error, I think 'The Green Years' was semi-autobiographical and may have been partially inspired by one of Cronin's own grandfathers. 

Now, the two screenwriters MGM hired (Robert Ardrey and Sonya Levien) might very well have borrowed from Odets when adapting Cronin's book. Again, I haven't read the novel, so I cannot fully comment on the death scene and its true origins.

1946 favorites:

1.) "Notorious"

2.) "The Big Sleep"

3.) "The Harvey Girls"

4.) " Ziegfeld Follies"--If all the film were as good as "Limehouse Blues", danced by Fred Astaire & Lucille Bremer, ZF would be #2.

5.) "The Best Years of Our Lives"

6.) "Gilda"

7,) " The Postman Always Rings Twice"

8.) " Cluny Brown"--Ernst Lubitsch's last completed film--Jennifer Jones is an expert farceur--who could have guessed--almost perfect small scale film--only flaw is it depends on ones' knowledge of British social classes--but this is nitpicking.  Wonderful comedy that doesn't have the general acknowledgement it deserves as a comedy classic .

9.) "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers"--classic noir with dream cast; Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Kirk Douglas, Lizabeth Scott, & Judith Anderson.

Two way tie for #10: 10.) "Bedlam"--Good script, good acting, & Producer Val Lewton spent money on this film.

10.) "Deadline at Dawn"--Good little noir where Susan Hayward has the brains and figures things out herself.

Oddity--"Yolanda and the Thief".  Stick out the first 20 minutes.  Film gets crazier and crazier--Fred Astaires' dream sequence has to be seen to be believed.  Song "Coffee Time" was a minor hit.  MGM still lost a bundle on this fragile, wispily plotted musical.

Good list. I like DEADLINE AT DAWN but I don't consider it one of the best noir from 1946. 

I think YOLANDA AND THE THIEF was a reworking of a silent film starring Marion Davies. It was already a 20 year old story when Davies did it. But given MGM's usual polish and its use of Technicolor, the 1945 production is at least lovely to look at.

BEDLAM is one of the better horror films of 1946. And it was one of Lewton's last in this genre.

I love CLUNY BROWN and wish TCM would air it more often. Probably they would if it starred Gene Tierney instead of Jennifer Jones.

Great comment, Swithin. You're right on it.

I think Swithin is right about the poetic aspects of CLEMENTINE. But the poetry alone cannot save it. A movie that culminates with a showdown against a family of outlaws needs to show those bad guys more, to play up the dangerous aspects of living in the territory at that time. I really think Ford went off on some luxurious tangents and got away from the basic story, almost as if he was bored with the formulaic conventions and archetypes of the script. I understand people like the film and rate it highly, but for me, it's a disappointment and does not fully justify FRONTIER MARSHAL being remade.

While my list fails to generate any comments (I'm too predictable in this era), here are my "I've not seens" from your lists:

speedracer: THE HARVEY GIRLS, DECEPTION, and MY REPUTATION

Bogie: SHOESHINE, I SEE A DARK STRANGER, and THE OVERLANDERS

TopBilled: HUMORESQUE, CANYON PASSAGE, CENTENNIAL SUMMER, CLUNY BROWN, I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, O.S.S., SMOKY, SPECTER OF THE ROSE, and TWO SISTERS FROM BOSTON..whew! That's a lot.

Swithin: MAKE MINE MUSIC

film lover: DEADLINE AT DAWN and YOLANDA AND THE THIEF

• Like 2

Here's the 1001 Movies to See Before You Die entries for 1946:

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

THE BIG SLEEP

GILDA

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

THE KILLERS

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE

NOTORIOUS

PAISAN

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE

THE STRANGER

TopBilled: HUMORESQUE, CANYON PASSAGE, CENTENNIAL SUMMER, CLUNY BROWN, I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, O.S.S., SMOKY, SPECTER OF THE ROSE, and TWO SISTERS FROM BOSTON..whew! That's a lot.

I think HUMORESQUE is really one of the most underrated classics of '46. The hunger and pain of working his way up from the bottom of society is perfectly conveyed by John Garfield. And Crawford is always best when she plays heartless women who find out they do have a heart. Plus there's Oscar Levant and some excellent musical scenes. Not to mention Clifford Odets' powerful script. It's a beautifully made film with everyone in their prime.

220px-Humoresquedvdcover.gif

• Like 1

1946 is one of my favorite years ever:

1. THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

2. NOTORIOUS

3. A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

4. HENRY V

5. THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS

6. THREE STRANGERS

7. THE YEARLING

8. THE LOCKET

9. GILDA

10. TILL THE END OF TIME

But this means that so many wonderful films have to be left off, such as:

CLUNY BROWN

THE BIG SLEEP

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

DECEPTION

THE RAZOR'S EDGE

THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE

DEADLINE AT DAWN

I SEE A DARK STRANGER

NOBODY LIVES FOREVER

A SCANDAL IN PARIS

MY REPUTATION

CANYON PASSAGE

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE

GREEN FOR DANGER

DUEL IN THE SUN

So many good films in different genres.

• Like 2

kingrat, I've seen all of yours except for the ones I've already mentioned earlier. I like the shout out for THREE STRANGERS. I like that one too. If you have more than ten, you can list as many as you want. No one will fuss.

Yes, Three Strangers is a very enjoyable film!

While my list fails to generate any comments (I'm too predictable in this era), here are my "I've not seens" from your lists:

The Harvey Girls is another musical.  I love musicals, which is why I rank so many on my list.  It stars Judy Garland, John Hodiak and Angela Lansbury.  It features the Oscar winning song, "In the Achison, Topeka and the Santa Fe."  It takes place in the 1890s.  It features Garland as the newest member of "The Harvey Girls," a group of women who work as waitresses in Fred Harvey's Harvey House restaurants.  Garland meets the other Harvey Girls on the train, while enroute to Arizona.  She is answering a lonely-hearts ad, and is coming to Arizona to meet the author of the ad.  When she arrives, the man is not who she thought he'd be and she ends up working in the restaurant.  Lansbury has the "bad girl" role in this film and portrays a dance hall girl who performs in a saloon next to the Harvey House restaurant.  Most of the conflict of the story involves Lansbury and Garland being in love with the same man (Hodiak) and the owner of the saloon wanting to get rid of the Harvey House restaurant as it is cutting into his business. 

Deception.  This is a film starring Bette Davis, Paul Henreid and Claude Rains.  A lot goes on in this film and Rains' performance is truly the highlight.  In a nutshell, this film is about a love triangle between Davis, Henreid and Rains. 

My Reputation.  This film stars one of my favorites, Barbara Stanwyck.  Stanwyck has recently become widowed.  Custom in her social circle is that the widow wears black and mourns her husband's death the rest of her life.  Stanwyck's mother (Lucile Watson) has been wearing black for decades.  Stanwyck also has two children, who attend a boarding school.  Stanwyck is left alone and is miserable.  She tries to reconnect with old friends, but being with the friends she spent time with prior to her husband's passing is just too difficult.  She ends up escaping to a Lake Tahoe cabin belonging to a friend (Eve Arden) to relax and meets a man (George Brent) there.  They end up falling for each other.  Later, back at home, Stanwyck and Brent start spending more time together.  Rumors start about Stanwyck and Brent and many people chastise Stanwyck for her "inappropriate" behavior.  She should be forever in mourning, not moving on with a new love.  This is a great "weepie" (as they used to call them).  My only complaint is that the kids are somewhat annoying, but that's typical with many kids in Golden Era films.

• Like 1

This time you've stumped me with The Devil Monster, Lawrence.

If you are a fan of De Sica you are likely to love Shoeshine.  I think it is his best film.  I've seen it a couple of times in the theatre.  We were treated to a De Sica retrospective this summer at TIFF in Toronto which even included some of his early acting appearances mainly in "white telephone" movies.  I love that term, "white telephone."  They were usually light romantic comedies featuring the upper class, or those rich enough to own white telephones.

• Like 2

This time you've stumped me with The Devil Monster, Lawrence.

If you are a fan of De Sica you are likely to love Shoeshine. I think it is his best film. I've seen it a couple of times in the theatre. We were treated to a De Sica retrospective this summer at TIFF in Toronto which even included some of his early acting appearances mainly in "white telephone" movies. I love that term, "white telephone." They were usually light romantic comedies featuring the upper class, or those rich enough to own white telephones.

SHOESHINE is one of those universally well regarded films that have slipped by me somehow. I keep hoping TCM will show it (again?). I may just see if I can get a good dvd copy. I hadn't heard of the "white telephone" genre before. Lol

1. Notorious

2. Deadline at Dawn

3. Decoy

4. Gilda

5. The Killers

6. It's a Wonderful Life

7. The Big Sleep

8. Cluny Brown

9. Till the End of Time

10. My Darling Clementine

11. The Stranger

12. Somewhere in the Night

13. The Blue Dahlia

14. A Night in Casablanca

15. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers

16. Mysterious Intruder

17. The Chase

18. The Best Years of Our Lives

19. The Dark Corner

20. Black Angel

21. Duel in the Sun

22. Beauty and the Beast

23. The Strange Woman

24. Cloak and Dagger

25. So Dark the Night

26. Nocturne

27. Road to Utopia

28. Three Strangers

29. Crack-Up

30. A Matter of Life and Death

31. Two Smart People

32. Great Expectations

33. Whistle Stop

34. Abilene Town

35. The Verdict

36. The Diary of a Chambermaid

37. Canyon Passage

38. Devotion

39. Johnny Angel

40. Beware of Pity

41. Dragonwyck

42. Humoresque

43. A Stolen Life

44. I See a Dark Stranger

45. Margie

46. Bedelia

47. A Scandal in Paris

48. Night and Day

49. The Postman Always Rings Twice

50. Suspense

51. Nobody Lives Forever

52. Terror By Night

53. Bedlam

54. Strange Impersonation

55. Dressed to Kill

56. The Locket

57. Deception

58. The Razor's Edge

59. The Secret of the Whistler

60. Undercurrent

61. Without Reservations

62. Shock

63. The Dark Mirror

64. She-Wolf of London

65. Colonel Effingham's Raid

66. Till the Clouds Roll By

67. From This Day Forward

• Like 1

1947 - 58 films seen

1. BLACK NARCISSUS

2. OUT OF THE PAST

3. THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR

4. KISS OF DEATH

5. ODD MAN OUT

6. CROSSFIRE

7. GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT

8. NIGHTMARE ALLEY

9. A DOUBLE LIFE

10. THE BISHOP'S WIFE

Runner-ups: BODY AND SOUL, DEAD RECKONING, BRUTE FORCE, DARK PASSAGE, and LADY IN THE LAKE.

This is my least seen year, for some reason. Lots of noir type films again, with a couple of nicer movies (3 & 10) as well. BLACK NARCISSUS has the best color cinematography up this point, imho. Mitchum is King of cool. Hollywood starts to find it's conscience with two tales of anti-Semitism (6 & 7). The only guy creepier than Tyrone Power in 8 was Widmark in 4. And Ronald Colman finally had his Oscar.

Larry's Choice: QUEEN OF THE AMAZONS

Having seen so few films for this year, I actually had trouble with this choice. QUEEN OF THE AMAZONS isn't quite as terrible as some of my choices, but it's still ridiculous. Patricia Morison stars as a woman searching for her fiance who's gone missing on safari in India. The trail eventually leads to Africa, and a mythical tribe of white warrior women in the jungle. Lots of travelogue footage used for padding still barely stretches the runtime to an hour.

• Like 3

For 1947 - 76 films seen

1.  Black Narcissus

2.  The Lady from Shanghai

3.  Body and Soul

4.  Odd Man Out

5.  Monsieur Verdoux

6.  Nightmare Alley

7.  Kiss of Death

8.  A Double Life

9.  Boomerang

10. Ride the Pink Horse

Here are just some from my runner up list: Brighton Rock, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Senator Was Indiscreet, and Life With Father.

Bogie's curio: Monsieur Vincent. 

​Strictly going by the ones that I have seen, IMO while there may be many 'good' films of 1947, there were no really true exceptional ones.

Lawrence, I've seen all on your list with the exception of Queen of the Amazons.  I can't believe I missed that one!

My current choices for performances for 1947 are:

Best Actor

Charles Chaplin, Monsieur Verdoux

Best Actress

Deborah Kerr, Black Narcissus

Best Supporting Actor

Richard Widmark, Kiss of Death

Best Supporting Actress

Celeste Holm, Gentleman's Agreement

Juvenile

Natalie Wood, Driftwood and Miracle on 34th Street

• Like 1

FrankGrimesScott, I haven't seen DECOY or MYSTERIOUS INTRUDER from your top 20, along with some I mentioned earlier.

I was going to include DECOY as an honorable mention, but I don't quite think it is as noteworthy as other poverty row cult classics (like DETOUR) from the same period. DETOUR's plot is at least somewhat plausible; DECOY's storyline is not plausible at all. Though it's still fun to watch, especially Jean Gillie's performance as the femme fatale.

I see THE DARK MIRROR was mentioned, too. I bought a copy of this film online a few years ago. I was eager to see it, since it featured Olivia de Havilland in a dual role, and Lew Ayres was the costar. While the concept is strong, I think the script gets bogged down in a lot of psychoanalytic mumbo jumbo. In some key scenes, the performers seem rather silly reciting the dialogue they've been handed. Viewers want entertainment, not a scientific thesis on why one twin is good and another is bad.

• Like 1

Bogie, I still need to see RIDE THE PINK HORSE and BRIGHTON ROCK. I don't know THE SENATOR WAS INDISCREET or MONSIEUR VINCENT.

I haven't seen THE SENATOR WAS INDISCREET either. It's high up on my list of films from this period I'd like to watch.

I bought a copy of RIDE THE PINK HORSE online a few years ago (it has since been issued on DVD)...I remembered it airing all the time on the old AMC. But in the past fifteen years, it had virtually disappeared from the cable airwaves. I don't think TCM has ever shown it, which seems surprising. 

• Like 1

1947 - 58 films seen

1. BLACK NARCISSUS

2. OUT OF THE PAST

3. THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR

4. KISS OF DEATH

5. ODD MAN OUT

6. CROSSFIRE

7. GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT

8. NIGHTMARE ALLEY

9. A DOUBLE LIFE

10. THE BISHOP'S WIFE

Runner-ups: BODY AND SOUL, DEAD RECKONING, BRUTE FORCE, DARK PASSAGE, and LADY IN THE LAKE.

This is my least seen year, for some reason. Lots of noir type films again, with a couple of nicer movies (3 & 10) as well. BLACK NARCISSUS has the best color cinematography up this point, imho. Mitchum is King of cool. Hollywood starts to find it's conscience with two tales of anti-Semitism (6 & 7). The only guy creepier than Tyrone Power in 8 was Widmark in 4. And Ronald Colman finally had his Oscar.

Larry's Choice: QUEEN OF THE AMAZONS

Having seen so few films for this year, I actually had trouble with this choice. QUEEN OF THE AMAZONS isn't quite as terrible as some of my choices, but it's still ridiculous. Patricia Morison stars as a woman searching for her fiance who's gone missing on safari in India. The trail eventually leads to Africa, and a mythical tribe of white warrior women in the jungle. Lots of travelogue footage used for padding still barely stretches the runtime to an hour.

Fine choices. I have many of them on my list, too. BODY AND SOUL is one I still have not seen (along with THE SENATOR WAS INDISCREET).  

I will post mine in just a moment...

• Like 1

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-30%2Bat%2B9.09.2

A lot happened this year: William Powell was baptised; Robert Ryan was anti-semitic; Ronald Colman was mad; Danny Kaye was having fantasies about Virginia Mayo; Cary Grant was an angel; little Natalie Wood spent time at Macy's department store; and Deborah Kerr became familiar with her surroundings at a Himalayan convent.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-30%2Bat%2B8.52.3

My list:

1. CROSSFIRE* (social message noir)
2. BLACK NARCISSUS* (literary adaptation)
3. MONSIEUR VERDOUX (satirical comedy)
4. LIFE WITH FATHER (comedy drama)
5. ODD MAN OUT (British noir)
6. A DOUBLE LIFE (noir)
7. OUT OF THE PAST (noir)
8. THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY (fantasy comedy)
9. THE MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (comedy drama)
10. THE EGG AND I (literary adaptation) and THE FARMER’S DAUGHTER (political satire)

Honorable Mentions:
ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (western)
THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER (comedy)
THE BISHOP’S WIFE (spiritual comedy drama)
BOOMERANG! (courtroom drama)
BRIGHTON ROCK (British noir)
BRUTE FORCE (prison drama)
DRIFTWOOD (coming of age drama)
THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR (romance fantasy)
GOLDEN EARRINGS (romantic spy drama)
GOOD NEWS (musical)
GREEN DOLPHIN STREET (literary adaptation)
IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVENUE (comedy drama)
IVY (noir)
JOHNNY O’CLOCK (noir)
KISS OF DEATH (noir)
THE LOST MOMENT (psychological thriller)
LES MAUDITS (French drama)
THE OCTOBER MAN (British noir)
THE PARADINE CASE (noir courtroom drama)
THE PERILS OF PAULINE (biographical musical)
POSSESSED (melodrama)
THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI (literary adaptation)
THE RED HOUSE (psychological drama) 
THIS TIME FOR KEEPS (musical)
UNCLE SILAS (British literary adaptation)
THE UPTURNED GLASS (British noir)
WELCOME STRANGER (comedy drama)
WYOMING (western)

Notable Performers: Loretta Young; Richard Widmark; Martha Raye; Edmund Gwenn; Natalie Wood; and William Powell.

*On my Top-20 classics of all time.

• Like 1

Too much mucus this year; my list is dominated by noirs 

1.) "Out of The Past"

2.) "Kiss of Death"

3.) "Brute Force"

4.) " A Double Life"--In her first autobiography, Shelley Winters said she was going to make Ronald Colman look so good he'd win Best Actor Oscar.  She did.  

5.) "Nightmare Alley"

6.) "Ivy"--Joan Fontaine isn't a simp, for once; and she does well!

7.) "Black Narcissus"--plays like a noir, IMHO, except nuns don't smoke.

8.) " Green Dolphin Street"--won Best Special Effects Oscar for 1947--& they're worth sticking out the sticky melodrama to see.  Lana's character is Not the "fluttering & fainting" type.

9.) "Body and Soul"

10.) "Good News"--forget June Allyson; film is a rare chance to see Joan McCracken in action, she was in Broadway's "Oklahoma" & was a wonderful dancer--check out the number "Pass That Peace Pipe" where she does the vocal & is lead dancer--marvelous.

11.) "Monsieur Verdoux"--Chaplin is preachy, but Martha Raye is hilarious in the rowboat scene.  

• Like 2

Too much mucus this year; my list is dominated by noirs 

1.) "Out of The Past"

2.) "Kiss of Death"

3.) "Brute Force"

4.) " A Double Life"--In her first autobiography, Shelley Winters said she was going to make Ronald Colman look so good he'd win Best Actor Oscar.  She did.  

5.) "Nightmare Alley"

6.) "Ivy"--Joan Fontaine isn't a simp, for once; and she does well!

7.) "Black Narcissus"--plays like a noir, IMHO, except nuns don't smoke.

8.) " Green Dolphin Street"--won Best Special Effects Oscar for 1947--& they're worth sticking out the sticky melodrama to see.  Lana's character is Not the "fluttering & fainting" type.

9.) "Body and Soul"

10.) "Good News"--forget June Allyson; film is a rare chance to see Joan McCracken in action, she played Ado Annie in Broadway's "Oklahoma" & was a wonderful dancer--check out the number "Pass That Peace Pipe" where she does the vocal & is lead dancer--marvelous.

Interesting choices. Not one comedy among them. You don't like comedies much..? There were some good ones produced in '47.