Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Plastic Surgery Classics

CaveGirl

I am totally hooked on horror,sci-fi or dramatic films based on plastic surgery plotlines.

One of my favorites is "Seconds" directed by John Frankenheimer in 1966 and starring Rock Hudson.

It has a new blu-ray version from Criterion and is well worth seeing again.

Any other fans of this type of cinema? 

SECONDS is terrific. For a more horrific plastic surgery film, I like EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1959). Sometimes grisly, it was very influential on European horror and served as the basis for Pedro Almodovar's film THE SKIN I LIVE IN (2011), which takes the plastic surgery up a notch.

• Like 1

I've seen SECONDS a few times myself.  Enjoyed it.  Lesson learned from 'SECONDS':  Be careful what you wish for . . . you just might get it!   

Here's a few other movies I can think of that have plastic surgery as part of the plotline:

SCALPEL (1976)  Robert Lansing, Judith Chapman

PROMISE, The (1979)  Stephen Collins, Kathleen Quinlan, Beatrice Straight.  Romance drama released by MCA Home Video.  Maybe it's on DVD at this point, but I bought this new on VHS many moons ago.  The Leonard Maltin review of this is hilarious, which is exactly why I bought it.  His review intrigued me enough -- 'BOMB' rating or no -- to seek it out.  I've seen it thrice.  I don't think it's a 'BOMB' personally.  I'd have given it  2½ stars out of 4 had I been reviewing it for LM's Video Guide.  (Also, I know you've been reviewing movies from 1979, LawrenceA, so if you've not seen "The Promise" perhaps you'd like it).

NIGHTHAWKS (1981)  Rutger Hauer as 'Wulfgar'; he has some surgery of the plastic variety in this.

FACE/OFF (1997)  I felt the movie went on too long like most of these over-the-top action pics do.  I can't recommend it.  I saw it in the theater and haven't had any interest in seeing it since.  Meh. 

I seem to recall a Humphrey Bogart movie from the late '40s where he plays a gangster who has plastic surgery . . .

• Like 2

This movie doesn't feature plastic surgery of the facial variety, but the 1977 Canadian movie 'RABID' directed by David Cronenberg features Marilyn Chambers as an accident victim on a motorcycle who receives some experimental skin grafts at a plastic surgery clinic -- The Keloid Clinic in the film.  These grafts, however, have a rather interesting after-effect!  Also stars Joe Silver, Frank Moore, Howard Ryshpan, Patricia Gage, Susan Roman.  I really like this movie with the music score and the Canadian wilderness as a backdrop for the first half of the movie.  

• Like 2

BRAZIL (1985) had some pretty outrageous plastic surgery, with Katherine Helmond's face manually being stretched tighter and tighter by future Oscar winner Jim Broadbent as her gleeful doctor.

ESCAPE FROM L.A. (1996) had a sequence where the hero was captured by a group of plastic surgery obsessed crazies led by an unrecognizable Bruce Campbell. It was John Carpenter's commentary on image obsession in Los Angeles.

• Like 1

Dark Passage (1947)

The Face of Another (1966)

The Awful Dr. Orloff (1962)

Behind the Candleabra (2013)

American Mary (2012)

Stolen Face (1952)

The Face Behind the Mask (1941) sort of

Face of Fire (1959)

The Devil and the Angel (1946)

The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996)

A Woman's Face (1941)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) sort of

This movie doesn't feature plastic surgery of the facial variety, but the 1977 Canadian movie 'RABID' directed by David Cronenberg features Marilyn Chambers as an accident victim on a motorcycle who receives some experimental skin grafts at a plastic surgery clinic -- The Keloid Clinic in the film.  These grafts, however, have a rather interesting after-effect!  Also stars Joe Silver, Frank Moore, Howard Ryshpan, Patricia Gage, Susan Roman.  I really like this movie with the music score and the Canadian wilderness as a backdrop for the first half of the movie.  

Love David Cronenberg films! I think that guy in "Scanners" needed plastic surgery after his head was blown off!

• Like 1

Plastic  surgery is part of the plot in The Raven (1935) with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.

vlcsnap-2547830.png

And also in She Demons (1958), though unfortunately for Mona (played by Leni Tana), her husband's experiments on the native girls are not successful.

demons5.jpg

• Like 2

Very good film, A Woman's Face, Joan Crawford and Conrad Veidt another one is Stolen Face, Lizabeth Scott and Paul Henreid

This reminds me, lavender! Have you heard they're doin' a remake of both these movies in one titled, "A Stolen Woman's Face" ?

Yep, and the inside word is that those viewing the rushes say Caitlyn Jenner has the makings of a pretty good actress!

(...sorry...just couldn't resist) ;)

• Like 1

One of the early ones was THE MAN WHO LIVED TWICE with Ralph Bellamy, released by Columbia in 1936.  It was partially remade in 1953 as THE MAN IN THE DARK (in 3D) but I don't recall that plastic surgery was part of the remake scenario.

In the original Bellamy plays a horribly ugly gangster and plastic surgeon Thurston Hall makes him over as a pretty boy.  Bellamy loses his memory and becomes a pillar of society.

So it was pretty much a reverse on the previous year's THE RAVEN.

• Like 1

Arsenic and Old Lace- Peter Lorre as Dr. Einstein has performed numerous plastic surgeries on Raymond Massey, so everyoine thinks he looks like 'Frankenstein. One of the very hilarious scenes in the film, is this reference in the film. since Boris Karloff played the Raymond Massey role in Arsenic and Old Lace on Broadway 

• Like 1

Dark Passage (1947)

The Face of Another (1966)

The Awful Dr. Orloff (1962)

Behind the Candleabra (2013)

American Mary (2012)

Stolen Face (1952)

The Face Behind the Mask (1941) sort of

Face of Fire (1959)

The Devil and the Angel (1946)

The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996)

A Woman's Face (1941)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) sort of

You omitted A NOSE JOB FOR SUSIE (1947)

You omitted A NOSE JOB FOR SUSIE (1947)

There was a Canadian film called Nose Job (circa 1979) but I cannot find it anywhere on the imdb.

Daisy: The Story of a Facelift (1982) is a feature length documentary released by the NFB before being shown on U.S. television.

Arsenic and Old Lace- Peter Lorre as Dr. Einstein has performed numerous plastic surgeries on Raymond Massey, so everyoine thinks he looks like 'Frankenstein. One of the very hilarious scenes in the film, is this reference in the film. since Boris Karloff played the Raymond Massey role in Arsenic and Old Lace on Broadway 

Actually, Dr. Einstein made Jonathan look like "Boris Karloff".  When road company versions featured Bela Lugosi and Erich von Stroheim, the dialogue was changed to reflect Jonathan looking like Lugosi and von Stroheim.

Lindsay and Crouse would only permit Hull, Adair and Alexander to leave the Broadway company to do the film, so Massey lurched in for Karloff.

I HAVE met a plastic surgeon once who told me he's always amused at how plastic surgeons in many old movies seemed to be able to accomplish much more than actual plastic surgeons back then actually could,  and more so than even TODAY.  "And with FAR less medically acceptable conditions and equipment."

My NOT being a plastic surgeon, I'll just have to take him at his word.

Sepiatone