Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Suggest Movies

ecandy

Unless you just happened to suggest something they had already planned for a theme or series they had in mind. In that case, it would be pure coincidence.

As you suggest,  there is no way one would know if the programmers 'listened' to a suggestion and decided to actually put that film on a future schedule (by future I mean a schedule that has yet to be determined) OR if the showing of a suggestion was pure coincidence.

AND if TCM didn't already have the leasing rights to the suggested film I assume the odds they would lease that film because of a suggestion are next to nothing.    (even Hot Spell!).  ;)

As you suggest,  there is no way one would know if the programmers 'listened' to a suggestion and decided to actually put that film on a future schedule (by future I mean a schedule that has yet to be determined) OR if the showing of a suggestion was pure coincidence.

AND if TCM didn't already have the leasing rights to the suggested film I assume the odds they would lease that film because of a suggestion are next to nothing.    (even Hot Spell!).  ;)

Yes. It's strange for people to take credit for influencing the powers that be at TCM if it's all coincidence.

And on a related note, while I certainly appreciate the creative efforts of the folks who do the programming challenges, I think it's rare when their ideas are "borrowed" by the actual TCM programming department. This is because most schedules created during the challenges have a lot of what I call ultimate-wish-titles that TCM either is not interested in airing or simply does not have the budget to lease from Universal or Paramount. 

So TCM has their site designers go to the effort (not without cost) of including in their design an entire functioning section (at least nominally), which they then entirely ignore.  And they retain this section even after a massive redesign of the site in which other, more beloved parts are unceremoniously jettisoned, despite the pleadings of participants.

So TCM has their site designers go to the effort (not without cost) of including in their design an entire functioning section (at least nominally), which they then entirely ignore.  And they retain this section even after a massive redesign of the site in which other, more beloved parts are unceremoniously jettisoned, despite the pleadings of participants.

Sorry but your confused;   What was said was "there is no way one would know if the programmers 'listened' to a suggestion and decided to actually put that film on a future schedule".

"there is no way one would know' does NOT mean that TCM's programmers don't read the suggestions and use them when planning future movie schedules.    Instead it just means 'there is no way one would know' IF they did or NOT.

Yes. It's strange for people to take credit for influencing the powers that be at TCM if it's all coincidence.

AND if TCM didn't already have the leasing rights to the suggested film I assume the odds they would lease that film because of a suggestion are next to nothing.     ;)

Wow you have one ax to grind.   Lighten up it is good for one's health.

James,

I had a whole thread yanked in the off-topic forum earlier today, because of misinterpretations. You should have seen the private message I sent the moderator about it. I think people are overly sensitive, and jumping to the wrong conclusions, maybe it's the time of year-- LOL. That's the best way I can explain it.

James,

I had a whole thread yanked in the off-topic forum earlier today, because of misinterpretations. You should have seen the private message I sent the moderator about it. I think people are overly sensitive, and jumping to the wrong conclusions, maybe it's the time of year-- LOL. That's the best way I can explain it.

Well some folks are so defensive they can't understand when a post is a joke.   Anyone that has seen the post by NipKow about Hot Spell would understand that my leasing comment was a joke.   I even placed a emoticon after it but to no avail.       The programmer did reply in that 'ask the programmer' thread and state that they would look into Hot Spell so maybe they will lease it and show it.  As I said in that thread I hope they do just so Nipkow gets what he wants and stops all the post about that movie!

Well some folks are so defensive they can't understand when a post is a joke.   Anyone that has seen the post by NipKow about Hot Spell would understand that my leasing comment was a joke.   I even placed a emoticon after it but to no avail.       The programmer did reply in that 'ask the programmer' thread and state that they would look into Hot Spell so maybe they will lease it and show it.  As I said in that thread I hope they do just so Nipkow gets what he wants and stops all the post about that movie!

Sincerely doubt Nipkow would be satisfied with just one showing of HOT SPELL. And I am not joking. :)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you suggest a movie will they show the movie

Hello! From my own experience, it seems that they do listen to requests and sometimes play them. It may take awhile to get around to it, but if I have requested a movie, I will sometimes see it played. Not always though, which is understandable, TCM gets so many requests; if you watch the suggestion list, within 30 minutes, there are already many new requests. It can also be difficult if an obscure or hard to get film is requested, but I believe that they do try their best to play what their viewers want if they are able. So it is very possible that they might play your suggestions, but it is not a guarantee. Definitely make some suggestions if you would like, it can't hurt to try! :) 

• Like 1

Hello! From my own experience, it seems that they do listen to requests and sometimes play them. It may take awhile to get around to it, but if I have requested a movie, I will sometimes see it played. Not always though, which is understandable, TCM gets so many requests; if you watch the suggestion list, within 30 minutes, there are already many new requests. It can also be difficult if an obscure or hard to get film is requested, but I believe that they do try their best to play what their viewers want if they are able. So it is very possible that they might play your suggestions, but it is not a guarantee. Definitely make some suggestions if you would like, it can't hurt to try! :)

Thanks for your comment!

• 1 month later...

Hi can anyone tell me whether TCM has plans to play movie The Legend Of Walks Far Woman starring Racquel Welch. It's a lovely moving film and I can't remember the last time I saw it on tv. Thanks

At the top of each page of the TCM Website, right under MONTHLY HIGHLIGHTS, is a search box.  Type in the title of a movie you want info about.  You will get a link to the TCM Database page for the movie.  Under the title will be the date and time a movie will air if it is scheduled.  For The Legend of Walks Far Woman:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/412680/Legend-of-Walks-Far-Woman-The/

You will see it is not scheduled.  It seems to be a TV movie, so the likelihood of it showing is very low.  TCM almost never shows TV movies--an omission many who post here on the Message Boards feel with sharp regret.

At the top of each page of the TCM Website, right under MONTHLY HIGHLIGHTS, is a search box.  Type in the title of a movie you want info about.  You will get a link to the TCM Database page for the movie.  Under the title will be the date and time a movie will air if it is scheduled.  For The Legend of Walks Far Woman:

You will see it is not scheduled.  It seems to be a TV movie, so the likelihood of it showing is very low.  TCM almost never shows TV movies--an omission many who post here on the Message Boards feel with sharp regret.

You believe there are many people at this forum that want TCM to show made for T.V. movies?      I guess I was watching sports when these users made those post.  

You believe there are many people at this forum that want TCM to show made for T.V. movies?      I guess I was watching sports when these users made those post.  

From the interest the occasional threads on TV movies have garnered, and the extensive lists of movies they generated, yes, I believe so.  I know there are a number of them I'd like to see.  I think it would be a great thing for TCM to have a weekly segment, like the Underground or Imports, devoted to TV movies.

From the interest the occasional threads on TV movies have garnered, and the extensive lists of movies they generated, yes, I believe so.  I know there are a number of them I'd like to see.  I think it would be a great thing for TCM to have a weekly segment, like the Underground or Imports, devoted to TV movies.

Historically, they're important because they feature a lot of classic films stars in decline and new stars on the rise. But the production values are not always so great, and they probably have limited appeal to modern audiences.

• Like 2