Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia -- Week of February 13, 2006

coffeedan

Greetings, everybody! Since I recently purchased more shelving for my growing movie collection, I decided to take inventory this weekend and found I have 1,074 films shelved in the hall of my apartment! And even though I have films from every era on those shelves, slightly more than half were released before 1935. I guess the late silent, early talkie, and pre-code eras hold the same fascination for me today as they did back in my high school days.

Then I got to thinking about those folks posting here who have way larger collections than I have, upwards to 5,000 films. Where do you store them? In the basement? The den? Does the whole house become your film library, and you sleep in the garage? I've often wondered.

For now, let's get on to this week's movie trivia . . .

Thanks for letting me know about Fridays trivia,dan. I have about 2,000 or more videos (DVD &VHS). I keep them in a old China Closet that my Mom was going to give to Good Will, Salvation Army or something like that.It has top glass doors and the bottom is huge for storage.One of these days I'll take inventory. I hate when I see a DVD and have to think, do I own that film

Coffeedan, I have thousands as well, and I keep my DVD collection in DVD storage books. I have many of them but buy the ones that hold 284-296 each. For me, these books take up way less space than keeping them individually packaged. I also use a label program and make my own labels for them. I often find the actual movie poster for each one and then size it to my label and print it off. That way it looks similar to a purchased DVD. I really enjoy doing this. For the ones I do purchase, I measure the front photo in the DVD package to the width of my DVD 'compartment' the DVD will be going into, and cut it and slide it in front of the actual DVD. Then, I have a computer database that I enter all the information into, so I know exactly what I have and where it is. I have a case for 'newer' ones, cases for ones I file by genre (western, war, horror), many cases of singles, filed by whatever star I deem worthy. ^^ I also, sometimes, record my DVDs 2 on a disk. When I record one on a disk, I record them in SP mode, but some of the classics are so short that you can record them on LP, which is only one step down from SP, so if it's not 'an essential' I will record 2 with the same actor on 1 DVD, then I number that DVD and file it in my "Doubles" case. This saves TONS of room, since I can fit almost 600 movies into one case! Since this IS my one and only hobby and I love it so much, I must say that my 'homemade' collection looks as nice as my 'bought' collection. This works well for me, cuz I don't particularly care for the plastic cases they come in. The books are water and heat proof. When I had a tape collection, they were in mega bookcases, downstairs due to lack of room - and when we had our basement flood, I lost so many. These DVD cases stay on shelves I've had built in my closet, and if there is ever a 'disaster' I can grab them and run! :-)

I continue to have odd problems on this site -- today I signed on and could access every folder except Trivia!!! Had to restart my computer before I could get in here. Anyway --

Tuesday's question: After winning the Oscar for Best Actress, who said: "I never thought I'd have a nomination . . . I never thought anybody ever took any of my pictures seriously"?

Good luck!

Yeah, you got it, Scarlett! 'Way to go! SUDDEN IMPACT (1984) was the third of four movies starring Clint Eastwood as "Dirty Harry" Callahan. Matter of fact, I use an altered version of a Dirty Harry speech for the message on my answering machine. It either breaks people up or scares them to death!

By the way, Scarlett, I really liked your post on how you organize and store your DVDs. I've used albums to store my old radio CDs, but never gave a thought to storing my DVDs the same way. You make it sound like fun -- I'll have to mull that over.

All right, I'll end the suspense. Claude Rains said it in DECEPTION (1946), the last of four films he made with Bette Davis. (Interesting that the other three films -- JUAREZ, MR. SKEFFINGTON, and NOW, VOYAGER -- came up as guesses, too!)

And moviejoe, where you been all this time? Good to see you back!