Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Academy award actress trivia question

DickLindsay

Here is an Academy award trivia question. Back in the 1970s my mom told me a story about an actress that one the Academy award and mom termed her as a "sore winner". I believe this probably happened in the late 1950s or in the 1960s. According to mom this actress won and she gave her acceptsnce speech and said 'thank you' but also deeply criticized her director or someone that she worked with closely while making the movie. Mom thought this was awful and claimed immediately that this actress wa "finished" because nobody likes a sore winner. She couldn't remember the actresses name. Whether or not she worked again is questionable because mom wasn't exactly always updated on her Hollywood history.  my question: does anyone have a clue as to who this actress might be?  thank you

Are you sure it occurred during the acceptance speech? Or in an interview given by the actress after her Oscar victory?

It wouldn't be the first time an actress feuded with her director or leading man. 

The one that stands out for me is when I learned that Debra Winger detested working with Richard Gere. Their scenes in AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN were so electric, that to find out it was all 'an act' was disappointing. LOL

Elizabeth Taylor for "Butterfield 8" (1960)?  She certainly hated MGM having her do the film before she would be free of them and so she could collect One Million dollars from Twentieth-Century Fox for playing Cleopatra.

I can't think of anyone who was a "sore winner" during an Oscars acceptance speech. The people who have a problem with the awards usually don't show up to collect one. 

Taylor didn't say much when she won the Oscar (her first) for "BUtterfield 8," but you can see that she was gratified by the win. It was the fourth year in a row that she had been nominated. The brevity of her appearance may have been because she was recovering from major surgery (she recently had undergone an emergency tracheotomy after a life-threatening bout with pneumonia). 

When Taylor won her second Oscar (for the 1966 drama "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"), she was upset because her then-husband Richard Burton didn't win for his performance in the same movie. But she never said it during an acceptance speech. She didn't attend the awards ceremony that year.

When Ingrid Bergman -- nominated for Best Supporting Actress of 1974 in "Murder on the Orient Express" -- won her third career Oscar, she apologized to another nominee who didn't win. Bergman sort of chided the Academy for overlooking Italy's Valentina Cortese of "Day for Night," but she wasn't rude about it.

The controversial acceptance speeches at the Academy Awards primarily have revolved around politics. Consider Sacheen Littlefeather's turning down a Best Actor award for Marlon Brando in 1973. Or Vanessa Redgrave creating a firestorm in 1978 by condemning opponents of her political views as "Zionist hoodlums." Or documentary filmmaker Michael Moore's criticism of Bush 43 in 2003, days after United States forces invaded Iraq.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, and thanks for the responses so far.  I have this feeling we won't figure this one out.  I think I was rather young when mom said this to me (so mid 1970s) and she was referring to an event that happened a lot earlier (so I am guessing 60s or late 50s).  But, over the years when I look at the list of actresses that won, I too could not see a possibility as to whom it might have been.  It is very possible that whomever this was, she said a comment that mom took out of context but we'll never know.  if anyone has any other ideas, it would be welcome.

DickLindsay--I'm drawing a complete blank on this.  Julie Andrews only thanked Walt Disney when she won  1965's Best Actress, didn't mention co-stars or Director--but crowds' applause for her win & joke ("I know you Americans are famous for your hospitality, but this is ridiculous! got a long laugh & applause.)  Barbra Streisand joked through all her speech, but thanked director William Wyler.

DickLindsay--I'm drawing a complete blank on this.  Julie Andrews only thanked Walt Disney when she won  1965's Best Actress, didn't mention co-stars or Director--but crowds' applause for her win & joke ("I know you Americans are famous for your hospitality, but this is ridiculous! got a long laugh & applause.)  Barbra Streisand joked through all her speech, but thanked director William Wyler.

It's too bad that Andrews didn't thank Jack L. Warner as she did at the Golden Globe awards in 1965. It was Warner who passed over Andrews for the film version of "My Fair Lady." Audrey Hepburn, who ended up with the Eliza Doolittle role that Andrews created on stage, wasn't even nominated for the Best Actress Oscar.