Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie can NEVER be re-made?


Recommended Posts

The Manchurian Candidate should NEVER have been remade...as much as I love the actors in the newer version the whole thing just doesn't have the same impact as the original. The context of the original: an America just coming out the McCarthy red scare period and still trying to hold desperately to the fiction that America was a moral nation with high political ideals. The whole idea of the film was truly frightening to the naive public at the time. The more recent version actually shows what many of us already believe our government and politicians are doing or capable of doing. Therefore the film was not shocking or suspenseful. I think perhaps many times when they remake a film they should go ahead and steal some of the plot, characters and story but put a different title on it...but as someone else noted the use of the title is a gimmick to trick us into spending money on seeing the inferior product...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

Unless a producer wants to:

Find a vintage camera.

Refurbish the vintage camera.

Find or, fabricate, the appropriate black and white film stock.

Find or, fabricate, the necessary negative development materials.

Find or, fabricate, the required print materials.

Find or, somehow train, required technical people.

 

Any movie made in three strip, dye process, Technicolor...can never be re-made.

 

Thanks to FredCDobbs for information I required to write this post!

 

BTW: Some of the recent examples of digital color production has been pretty darn impressive...in my opinion.

 

Rusty

Link to post
Share on other sites

> Unless a producer wants to:

> Find a vintage camera.

> Refurbish the vintage camera.

> Find or, fabricate, the appropriate black and white

> film stock.

> Find or, fabricate, the necessary negative

> development materials.

> Find or, fabricate, the required print materials.

> Find or, somehow train, required technical people.

>

> Any movie made in three strip, dye process,

> Technicolor...can never be re-made.

 

 

A South Korean scientist has claimed to have cloned the first Technicolor film.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree- The newer version is truer to the book (Especially with the squirrels and the great glass elevator- I like the newer one's ending better. As i agree with you on the fact that no one could play Willy Wonka like Gene Wilder, no one could play the part of Willy Wonka like Johnny Depp! This version is more updated for today's kids, they understand it better. I certainly can't pick one version over the other but i love them both!

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL..That comment was hysterical..You really did have me laughing out loud..I guess I just have a soft spot for that movie because it is one of my sisters favorite movies (along with The Sting).She really had a thing for Robert Redford back in the 70s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Comparing Ben Afflecks acting to a hand puppet seems about right, but I have to admit I didn't know who Senor Wences was, so I googled his name and now I would like to see one of his performances. It said you could not see his lips move and that his hand puppet would actually smoke!

Link to post
Share on other sites

His hand puppet was actually his hand. He used to make it up to look like a man or woman. If you didn't see him the whole thing sounded pretty ridiculous. It sounds like something someone might do with their kids but he was pretty popular back in the 60s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rusty,

Sorry I took so long to respond to you. I think it is more the song itself that I don't like. It wouldn't matter who sang it! There are a few tunes that I just can't listen to! The "Girl From Impanima" is another. (excuse my spelling if it is wrong).

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the times that the puppet (hand) spoke, you couldn't see Wences because the camera was on the hand talking. It was a totally ridiculous act, but classic. He had a head in a box that talked too. He'd ask them, "Are you all right?" and they'd reply, "S'alright." I think he'd mostly appear on talk shows like Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin, and on variety shows. No one could do that act today unless the hand swore every two seconds and smoked crack.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's funny it's because it's true. Then again, maybe tears are more appropriate. I agree with you on Dillon and Slater, it's sad that Affleck hasn't been around as long as those guys and is already almost where they are careerwise. I wonder which one of them will replace Wilfred Brimley on the Liberty diabetese supplies commercials.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my Gosh! I'm laughing so loud I woke my cat up! ****

They still probably wouldn't do as good a job as Wilfred!

Speaking of commercials....

Have you seen the one with Leonard Nimoy for Aleeve????!!!! I sat in disbelief with my jaw on the floor!! Maybe he figured Shatner was making such good money that he'd give it a try.

Can you tell? I'm a Star Trek fan. LOL

 

I'm still wanting to ask Val Kilmer why he did not one but TWO movies with Slater. Maybe he lost a bet....

Link to post
Share on other sites

NO MORE REMAKES OF FLAWLESS MASTERPIECES!!!! Enough already, wouldn't we all agree? The ole addage "Why fix it if it ain't broke" rings loud in my ears every time I hear of yet ANOTHER remake, bad or good, being done. The worst of this trend these days are the old TV shows and cartoons being made into summer popcorn flicks. Sad, bad, predictable pap!

 

The Hollywood money machine knows that it can run a safe bet when rolling the dice with a remake. Inevitably people will go and see these things, though 99% of the time I do not for the life of me know why. It's guaranteed money in the bank, and the public keeps being suckered (or is stupid enough) to buy into it!

 

There are many brilliant NEW screenplays out there and not enough producers and studios with the stones big enough to take risks. I hate that.

 

T.Paul

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of commercials.... Have you seen the one with Leonard Nimoy for Aleeve????!!!! I sat in disbelief with my jaw on the floor!! Maybe he figured Shatner was making such good money that he'd give it a try.

 

Yeah, like we're supposed to believe that Nimoy couldn't possibly do the Vulcan hand thing on his own without drugs. Commercials with Nimoy and Shatner are the least of our worries ... brace yourself:

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000089JE/qid=1140564827/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-1553566-9496720?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Link to post
Share on other sites

the reason remakes are so popular is because these days the younger set of viewers dont know that the movie was a remake and if they heard that it was they would figure that "oh, well its like an old movie, so its probly stupid so im not gonna see it" kids need to check out all the amazing movies that may be older, but they are CLASSICS.......anger at my generation!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are right. The 14 year old kid next door refuses to watch any film that is in black and white. He refuses to watch my Tarzan movies.

 

He wants color, lots of noise, cussin', murder, death, decapitation, explosions, more noise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...