Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

What movie can NEVER be re-made?

The Manchurian Candidate should NEVER have been remade...as much as I love the actors in the newer version the whole thing just doesn't have the same impact as the original. The context of the original: an America just coming out the McCarthy red scare period and still trying to hold desperately to the fiction that America was a moral nation with high political ideals. The whole idea of the film was truly frightening to the naive public at the time. The more recent version actually shows what many of us already believe our government and politicians are doing or capable of doing. Therefore the film was not shocking or suspenseful. I think perhaps many times when they remake a film they should go ahead and steal some of the plot, characters and story but put a different title on it...but as someone else noted the use of the title is a gimmick to trick us into spending money on seeing the inferior product...

most cause they knew about writing back then most are hacks now a days writing the same unfunny comedy movie scripts and uninteresting romantic films but thats just my opinon

Hello,

Unless a producer wants to:

Find a vintage camera.

Refurbish the vintage camera.

Find or, fabricate, the appropriate black and white film stock.

Find or, fabricate, the necessary negative development materials.

Find or, fabricate, the required print materials.

Find or, somehow train, required technical people.

Any movie made in three strip, dye process, Technicolor...can never be re-made.

Thanks to FredCDobbs for information I required to write this post!

BTW: Some of the recent examples of digital color production has been pretty darn impressive...in my opinion.

Rusty

I read that Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were toying with the idea of remaking Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid with themselves in the lead roles. Big Mistake!!

I hope this is just a rumor.

> Unless a producer wants to:

> Find a vintage camera.

> Refurbish the vintage camera.

> Find or, fabricate, the appropriate black and white

> film stock.

> Find or, fabricate, the necessary negative

> development materials.

> Find or, fabricate, the required print materials.

> Find or, somehow train, required technical people.

>

> Any movie made in three strip, dye process,

> Technicolor...can never be re-made.

A South Korean scientist has claimed to have cloned the first Technicolor film.

it goes without saying ANY Marx Bros, W.C. Fields, Laurel and Hardy,or any other comedy where the unique personalities of the star are important....

although..ZAZ TRIED to do it in BRAIN DONORS.....

Several, among which is:

Giant

Gone With The Wind

And should never have done:

The Pink Panther

And MANY others to numerous to mention here

I disagree- The newer version is truer to the book (Especially with the squirrels and the great glass elevator- I like the newer one's ending better. As i agree with you on the fact that no one could play Willy Wonka like Gene Wilder, no one could play the part of Willy Wonka like Johnny Depp! This version is more updated for today's kids, they understand it better. I certainly can't pick one version over the other but i love them both!

Sunset Boulevard is being remade.

Tod Browning's FREAKS can never be remade. Not how the first one was anyway.

LOL..That comment was hysterical..You really did have me laughing out loud..I guess I just have a soft spot for that movie because it is one of my sisters favorite movies (along with The Sting).She really had a thing for Robert Redford back in the 70s.

> I've no problem with this movie being remade, but

> those two couldn't remake a boloney sandwich.

LOLOLOLOLOL

KSKSKS

(Knee slap.)

FOOC

(Fell out of chair.)

Comparing Ben Afflecks acting to a hand puppet seems about right, but I have to admit I didn't know who Senor Wences was, so I googled his name and now I would like to see one of his performances. It said you could not see his lips move and that his hand puppet would actually smoke!

His hand puppet was actually his hand. He used to make it up to look like a man or woman. If you didn't see him the whole thing sounded pretty ridiculous. It sounds like something someone might do with their kids but he was pretty popular back in the 60s.

Rusty,

Sorry I took so long to respond to you. I think it is more the song itself that I don't like. It wouldn't matter who sang it! There are a few tunes that I just can't listen to! The "Girl From Impanima" is another. (excuse my spelling if it is wrong).

A lot of the times that the puppet (hand) spoke, you couldn't see Wences because the camera was on the hand talking. It was a totally ridiculous act, but classic. He had a head in a box that talked too. He'd ask them, "Are you all right?" and they'd reply, "S'alright." I think he'd mostly appear on talk shows like Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin, and on variety shows. No one could do that act today unless the hand swore every two seconds and smoked crack.

Matt, I'm catching up on the postings, and have tears running down my cheek at your comments!!!

Too Funny!!!

My additions to the list would be Matt Dillion and Christian Slater. I think they are both pointless!!!!

If it's funny it's because it's true. Then again, maybe tears are more appropriate. I agree with you on Dillon and Slater, it's sad that Affleck hasn't been around as long as those guys and is already almost where they are careerwise. I wonder which one of them will replace Wilfred Brimley on the Liberty diabetese supplies commercials.

Oh my Gosh! I'm laughing so loud I woke my cat up! ****

They still probably wouldn't do as good a job as Wilfred!

Speaking of commercials....

Have you seen the one with Leonard Nimoy for Aleeve????!!!! I sat in disbelief with my jaw on the floor!! Maybe he figured Shatner was making such good money that he'd give it a try.

Can you tell? I'm a Star Trek fan. LOL

I'm still wanting to ask Val Kilmer why he did not one but TWO movies with Slater. Maybe he lost a bet....

NO MORE REMAKES OF FLAWLESS MASTERPIECES!!!! Enough already, wouldn't we all agree? The ole addage "Why fix it if it ain't broke" rings loud in my ears every time I hear of yet ANOTHER remake, bad or good, being done. The worst of this trend these days are the old TV shows and cartoons being made into summer popcorn flicks. Sad, bad, predictable pap!

The Hollywood money machine knows that it can run a safe bet when rolling the dice with a remake. Inevitably people will go and see these things, though 99% of the time I do not for the life of me know why. It's guaranteed money in the bank, and the public keeps being suckered (or is stupid enough) to buy into it!

There are many brilliant NEW screenplays out there and not enough producers and studios with the stones big enough to take risks. I hate that.

T.Paul

Speaking of commercials.... Have you seen the one with Leonard Nimoy for Aleeve????!!!! I sat in disbelief with my jaw on the floor!! Maybe he figured Shatner was making such good money that he'd give it a try.

Yeah, like we're supposed to believe that Nimoy couldn't possibly do the Vulcan hand thing on his own without drugs. Commercials with Nimoy and Shatner are the least of our worries ... brace yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000089JE/qid=1140564827/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-1553566-9496720?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

the reason remakes are so popular is because these days the younger set of viewers dont know that the movie was a remake and if they heard that it was they would figure that "oh, well its like an old movie, so its probly stupid so im not gonna see it" kids need to check out all the amazing movies that may be older, but they are CLASSICS.......anger at my generation!!

I think you are right. The 14 year old kid next door refuses to watch any film that is in black and white. He refuses to watch my Tarzan movies.

He wants color, lots of noise, cussin', murder, death, decapitation, explosions, more noise.